Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Olds Convertible.

Ron Hamilton

Ditto what carl said Ron. Very cool project. I like the mid sixties Buicks.

Thanks. I like them too. I have a couple of rebuilder '65 Wildcat Annuals in my stash. I may turn one into a convertible if I cannot find a cheap promo that I can work over. I want to do an accurate '66 Wildcat GS, which means I have to scratchbuild an interior, and re-do the emblems. I am going to take the guts from a AMT '66 Riviera for the conversion.

When we were kids we had some of the AMT annuals. Since my dad had a '65 Olds, and my uncle had a '65 T-Bird, I had to get both of those, but I also had a Lincoln Continental Sedan, and a Olds. We liked rolling models, as we had daily races in the summer. The Wildcat rolled best, with the Olds a close second.

I mocked it up today, and it's looking pretty good. Now I have to find a few things to complete it, and I can get moving. I plan to have it finished next week.

So where did the engine come from?

The Revell '72 Olds gave me an accurate Olds big block engine. I had to juggle a few things around, but it fits fine, and looks fine under the hood. It also has the A/C plumbing that I want tooI have the correct air cleaner for it too. I still have to rig up an exhaust system, and a drive shafr, but that is no problem for me.

My Dad's '65 98 had the "Starfire" 425 engine, which was rated at 370 HP That car was one of my favorites. I only wish that a 98 was kitted, but you have to work with what you have, and the expense level to turn the Dynamic 88 into a 98 was quite prohibitive as the core model was not cheap to say the least.

I am getting a real kick out of this one, I only hope that the paint rubs out decently. I am not going to touch it until next week.

Now I have to find 3 shades of blue for the interior, and some flocking..

Very nice, Ron.

I'll look forward to your accuratizing (is that even a word? It is now!) the '66 Wildcat. I've been trying to figure out what I can use to cobble together that I/P for quite some time.

I plan on grabbing a Missing Link '65 to use a good Wildcat Interior I have, and then finagle the rest of it.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 weeks later...