Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Buick - W.I.P.

Ramfins59

Thanks Dave. This is a Curbside model so it won't have any engine or chassis detailing. For the past year or so I've been building several curbside models and then throw in a full detail kit now and then just to keep up my detailing skills. The curbside builds obviously go much quicker.

One of my favorites. I to re-scribed the fins, I glued a piece of styrene to a blade as a spacer then glued another piece over that, longer so it went past the point.

This I used as a guide to carefully deepen those areas.

Sorry don't have a pic of that tool!

Edited by James2

Andy, as was pointed out to me by Tom Geiger, there were no trim edges molded on the under side of the fins on this car. I jury-rigged my own tool for scribing the trim lines by using 2 #11 XActo blades with a thin piece of plastic CA glued between them in my XActo handle. One blade has the point facing up, and the other blade faces down, leaving the flat base of the blade next to, and slightly higher than the other blade. I positioned the flat base of the one blade against the edge of the fin and scribed the trim lines with the back side of the pointed blade by dragging it along. I worked slowly and carefully and it worked really well, giving me just enough of a "line" in the underside of the fins to use for a cutting edge when trimming the BMF.

Finally a little progress to report on this model. I finished up the interior this afternoon. These "tub" interiors are a pain to paint and detail especially when you use contrasting colors kike the Red and White color scheme that I chose. First I drilled holes for the window cranks and door handles, which are resin pieces from ReplMinCoMD painted chrome silver. The entire tub was sprayed with Tamiya White primer and I brush painted the Red using Polly S, flat, model railroad paint. I tried my best to keep straight lines but I wound up doing a lot of touch-ups. The carpet is flocked in Maroon. The dashboard is painted Tamiya Pure White and detailed with BMF, chrome silver paint and The Detailer. Gauge lenses were made using drops of clear epoxy. The steering wheel is Red with pieces of cut-down shirt pins for the shifter and turn signal stalk.

BUICKINTERIORFINISHED11024x681-vi.jpg

BUICKINTERIORFINISHED21024x627-vi.jpg

The body has been painted with Tamiya Pure White, clearcoated and polished out. I've only just started on the BMF trim so no pictures of the body yet. Hopefully I can finish it up for pictures tomorrow. Since this is a curbside model, the chassis is just painted Flat Black and the wire wheels and whitewalls left over from the '56 Chrysler kit are mounted on it.

Thanks for looking in. Further progress will be shown as it happens.

Thank you Donald and Dave.

Donald, no problem...... I work cheap. :lol:

Dave, I can't get a clearer more closeup picture of the dashboard since it is glued in place with the steering wheel in the way, but I'll try and if I'm successful I'll send it to you in a PM. What I do is mix up a small amount of 2 part, clear, 5 minute epoxy on a paper plate using a toothpick, being sure not to get any air bubbles in it while mixing. I pick up a small "blob" of the mixed epoxy with the end of the toothpick and place it into or on the gauge face. The epoxy usually sets up or dries to a slightly domed shape. I usually apply it over the various gauges, speedometer, radio and clock face if there is one, for lenses. When dry the clear epoxy sometimes acts as a magnifier making the gauge face easier to see. I have also used Elmer's Clear School Glue to make gauge lenses.