Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 ton 3-axle lowboy

• 4 weeks later...

I have been working really hard to get these done, but I have had a few setbacks. I have a full time job, and the last few weeks I have been working and additional 20-25 hours per week just to fill other resin part orders. That has not left a lot of time to work on the lowboys. I haven't been able to keep most of my wheels in stock, and now the molds are wearing out, so I have to take time to make new molds for them. I may need to stop taking all orders for 2-3 weeks so that I can get everything caught up and try to get some lowboys done.

As for how I am coming on these, I have frame rails, cross-members, and wood decking for 12 trailers right now. I finished the mold for the new low profile tires and have been casting a couple every day. As of this morning I have most of the resin pieces cast to make 4 trailers. I have to remake the mold for the rear bumper, as I accidentally damaged the original. I made a mold for the brake drums this week, but I am having air bubble issues with them, so I need to make a new mold with a slightly different design to rectify this. Once I get these all set it is going to be a lot of casting, and then I will have the first 12 trailers done.

I have a feeling that I would not be able to keep up with demand if I add these to my website for normal purchase, so once these first 12 are gone I will likely make them one at a time as time permits and then put them on ebay for sale once each kit is complete. This way I won't be taking orders or money and then not coming through for a long time. I would rather have people mad at me because they want to send me money, than mad that they sent me money and have been waiting forever to get their trailer kit.

KJ; very nice trailer. This is something all us truck guys have been looking for for years. I would take 2 complete 3 axle trailers with wheels and tires. I realize I am probably on the bottom of the list, but I have no problem paying for them now and waiting. Thanks Bryan