Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great Grandpa's 78 F250 (nearly done)

Ok officially started after probably a year of talk and asking around about parts, throwing pictures around, and probably making myself look stupid but here she is. THE STORY- BACK IN 1978 MY GREAT GRANDFATHER CUSTOM ORDERED A FORD TRUCK. NOTHING SPECIAL HE DIDN'T SEE A NEED FOR 4X4 OR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, OR V8'S EITHER. THE TRUCK WAS ORDERED AS A F250 CUSTOM WITH 300 6 CYL A 3 SPEED MANUAL AND PRETTY MUCH NOTHING OPTIONS WISE, NOW ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I LOOKED AT THE INTERIOR SO I CANT TELL YA WHAT COLOR THAT IS. HE PUT MAILBOX LETTERS ON THE GRILL D.E.W "DONALD E WESTFALL" I CALL THE TRUCK DEWY BECAUSE OF THIS. WELL BACK IN 2012 MY GREAT GRANDPA DIED I WAS AT "THE GEAUGA COUNTY MAPLE FESTIVAL" WHICH IS MY HOMETOWNS LITTLE FESTIVAL TO CELEBRATE OUR MAPLE SYRUP. MY MOM ACCIDENTALLY CALLED ME MEANING TO GET A HOLD OF MY GRANDMA AND GRANDPA TO TELL THEM. WELL THE WILL LEFT THE TRUCK TO MY GRANDPA HIS SON IN LAW, WITH NO WAY FOR MY GRANDPA TO GET IT TO HIS HOUSE I CALLED UP MY FELLOW REDNECK CHEVY BUDDY HE CALLED HIS UNCLE WHO OWNED A POWERSTROKE, AND A WEEK LATER WE HAULED IT FROM LEVITSBURG TO HUNTSBURG AND THATS WHERE THE TRUCK SITS AND HAS SAT FOR 2 ALMOST 3 YEARS NOW. MY GREAT GRANDPA HAD PLANS TO PUT DUAL EXHAUST ON IT AND HE HAD 2 DIFFERENT KINDS OF TOW MIRRORS ON IT, MY REPLICA WILL BE SPIN OFF. It will have a 300 I6 thanks to Ken of Kitchen Table Resin, The bed assembly will be a Greg Van Sickle of Facebook resin bed, tailgate, and tail lights, the old faded orange will be replaced with one coat lacquer Fiery Orange, wheels will be MAD Resin 70s truck/van dog dish, the kit Firestone tires will be used, it will have dual exhaust and the mirrors will be the mirrors from the kit. Here's some photos for ya while i get some of my progress.

a_zpsd477d3fa.jpg

b_zps2460b963.jpg

c_zps90a3a09f.jpg

d_zps9ea3495e.jpg

Edited by Platerpants

Cool idea. I love building models of vehicles I remember from my life. Remember to raise the top of the windshield, it's too low on the AMT kit.

That's the first thing I did on my glue-bomb resto.

MAMAOctober182014042_zps846ec173.jpg

Took all of 10 minutes, and made a world of difference.

I like the idea of your build. Good Luck!!!!

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Cut the windshield opening using the molding top as your guide. That is about right and the kit glass will still work without modification. To score the top molding new position, you can use the back of a number 11 exacto blade and a metal straight edge. I have an old jigsaw blade I use as a straight edge since it flexes, and lately I've been using an old draftsman's eraser shield since it has some curves and is lighter metal and bends easier.

Others take two exacto blades and glue them to a spacer the same width as the new molding. Then they use the one blade under the window opening and cut at the right position with the other. I haven't done this so I hope someone in the know comes along and posts!

Another way would be just to define the top of the trim by placing a piece of Bare Metal Foil at the right place.

Glad you cut it larger, you will be very pleased with the result.

THANKS :D Can someone say dog dish? Okay they arent exact nor do they match the colors of the ones on the truck(all different colors) But they do the truck and this is my spin off of his truck things can change.

20150211_175311_zpsad7c2a1a.jpg

A Demonstration of not matching...

post-9823-0-18048600-1423697047_thumb.pn

Edited by Platerpants

Thanks guys, I am undecided on whether i want to give the model to my grandpa to sit next to the model 67 GTO i built for him (his dream car) or keep it to sit with my replicas of 1:1s. Didnt get any work done today had the later shift.

Build two... keep one, and give him the other. :rolleyes:

Love the way this is coming together.

• 4 weeks later...