Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'76 AMC Gremlin X - "Gremlina"

Drake69

Started on this one a few days ago, already making good headway on it.

Body already painted...

Gremlin203_zpsgonfno1f.jpg

Gremlin202_zpsflehzuh0.jpg

Gremlin204_zpsjigcdtui.jpg

Gremlin201_zpszmmxyu4q.jpg

Need to search on here to read about the "difficulties" later on with this build. I know the front grill is off and the inner panels of the body don't touch the chassis to hold everything together, so I'll add some sprue to the tub body to fill that in, then do more research on the front grill issue. Fortunately neither the body nor the chassis was warped, guess I got lucky there.

Black carpeting with white vinyl seats and dashboard. I used Detailer Black to make the white seats look dingy and dirty, which from my experience is probably 99% of all white or cream-colored vinyl seats in 60's ~ 90's cars.

Gremlin%206_zpsw5uiiwps.jpg

Gremlin%207_zps1uekjrhb.jpg

With the gear shift I painted the upper area Red/Brown for the leather look, followed by a spot of black on top, then a small tip of silver to finish it off. Flat black on the top of the box makes the silver piece in the middle show up nicely.

I scuffed up the rubber in the tires then applied older "GoodYear Polyglas" decals on the walls. Instead of Detailer Black, I tried Tamiya Smoke paint (mentioned in the next issue of SA Magazine...), and it looks better than my normal means.

Gremlin%205_zps4ijaq0f5.jpg

And finally for today I assembled the engine bay after detailing the firewall. The rubber bands are keeping everything nice and straight while it's gluing together.

Gremlin%208_zpsjd7obuca.jpg

I think my wife might be pleased....

That's a great color Allen, it should look great with the foil added! Does this kit's engine still have the hole in the block for the axle?

Yup, and I figured I'd just leave it that way. If I had thought more about it I would've filled it in and done up some good suspension work from my spare parts, but I wasn't trying to be too fancy with it.

As for the color, it's actually a screw-up, kinda. :blink:

My wife had picked out a color she wanted me to do for her car, and it happened to be Pactra Purple Crush. Since it changes color with a proper base coat underneath it, I used Tamiya Silver Leaf as the base and then the Purple Crush. Of course this did nothing except give it a pearlescent tint to the silver.

Only after I read the label on the blessed can did I find out it required a certain BLACK BASE color, made by Pactra (of course!), to work like she wanted it to.

So, here I am, trying to figure out how to darken the car up to see if I can still get it to work before tossing it in the purple pond for stripping, and decided to lay down a light coat of Tamiya Gold Leaf, then interject it with a few light mists of Tamiya Metallic Black. When I sprayed a last light coat of the Purple Crush the pearlescent color brought out the silver, gold, AND black of the paints I had put down earlier and produced the color you see here.

My wife sees it and shouts "SNAKESKIN" !!!!

And this is why she likes it so much... meet my wife...

ZZ%20-%20Gremlina%20color_zpsgfwgr2bi.jp

This is GREMLINA from the 3rd Season of GLOW WRESTLING. She is a 4ft. 6in. former Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling bad girl that lead around a 6ft. 4in. Daisy. Talk about a height difference!

ZZ%20-%20Gremlina%20B-W_zpspp3cipa9.jpg

I was going to say the mole wasn't real... :lol:

But yes, that's her. She's got a few of her matches on Youtube, she does "managering" for a local wrestling card in Norfolk, VA, and she does a radio show as well. Look for Gremlina GLOW on Google and the 'Tube.

BMF applied on body...

Gremlin%2014_zpsf8qze2hx.jpg

Gremlin%2013_zpssuoag581.jpg

Extra engine bay detail added...

Gremlin%2016_zpsuab2us0f.jpg

Gremlin%2015_zpsudcoutwh.jpg

And decals applied. Body will soon get its dip in Future to seal everything up...

(EDIT: decal is not crooked, I need to burnish it with Micro Set one more time!)

Gremlin%2017_zpsscrbp396.jpg

Better shot....

Gremlin%2018_zpsdlw6nzs5.jpg

Bumper guards and reverse tail lights next.

Edited by Drake69

Last updates of the evening... Future applied to car after detailing the rear end...

Gremlin%2020_zpscsthkwp3.jpg

Gremlin%2019_zpshcqevlwh.jpg

Gremlin%2021_zpssutlutxu.jpg

And WOW. Had to add sheet styrene because of the interior sliding around inside the car, the front fenders are bowed in causing fitment issues with the nose of the car, and other fun stuff. Fortunately I think I fixed them all well enough to look good for now. I still have the front whalebone to put on, front bumper guards to paint, front plate to attach (somewhere... maybe...), and Future applied to the hood and front nose, but it's almost completed.

Rear window sticker...My other car is another Gremlin.

Bwahahahaha too funny Allen.

Believe it or not... THAT ACTUALLY COMES ON THE DECAL SHEET! :lol:

I loved putting that one on... and I wish more model kits had bumper sticker decals like that on their sheets.