Model Cars Magazine Forum

How would you detail this grill?

I just got this phantom van kit from eBay. I am just starting to get ideas on how I'm going to do it. My question is how to make the molded in chrome headlights look a little more real. But you have to remember I'm not the best modeler. The kit looks pretty good to me except for the chrome headlights and no chrome mags. Thanks

post-15245-0-24646100-1424631531_thumb.j

post-15245-0-41237800-1424631554_thumb.j

You basically have a couple of options. Either you could drill them out, Make or pirate some headlight reflectors & find some lenses to fit, or you could do what I usually do & paint them with a mixture of mostly acrylic clear coat with just a dab of white & a little metallic silver. It all depends on how detailed you want to go. Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I put a good thick coat of Testors Windshield/Canopy Glue over them. It makes a big difference in their appearance. This is what it looks like on an AMT '65 GTO with chrome head lights.

016-4.jpg

Another simple trick (if possible) is to just glue a clear lense over the the chrome head lights. Doesn't look like that won't work on your particular grille though. If the head light is recessed behind the trim ring, it works great.

So a mix of a little white and a little silver then cover them with testors window maker. I will probably try that. I don't really have any extra parts anymore. My extra parts got messed up in a basement flood years ago. I'm getting back into modeling again and having fun.

The kit has mags but they are not plated.

Thanks guys.

So a mix of a little white and a little silver then cover them with testors window maker.

No, don't add anything but the window maker, as Roger suggested. You want to keep the reflectivity of the chrome plating, but add some dimension with the canopy maker material.

The AMT '78 Ford Super Stones pickup has very similar wheels, and they're chrome plated, but they have no lug nuts, so not really an upgrade.

Ok. Here's the test I did on the other grill that came with the kit. The bottom one is just paint and the top is paint with the window maker over top. It's not too bad but I think I'll just use the window maker on the grill I'm using. Thanks.

I found a pic of the real van grill and it really isn't chrome so I'll try to make mine just like it.

Do you think I should do the headlights first before I paint around them?

post-15245-0-47783200-1424638971_thumb.j

post-15245-0-23300100-1424638991_thumb.j

Edited by Mikevango

The white "wagon wheels" were SUPER popular on vans and trucks when this kit was originally made. So popular to the point that Ford, GM and Dodge started offering versions of them as factory options on their trucks so them not being plated is not "wrong", just an option. In fact, it was more common to see the white ones back then than the chrome ones.

Just wish there was some way to add the red and blue pinstripe that they usually had. Just too small for me to do in 1/25 scale.

pacer310w.jpg

I put a good thick coat of Testors Windshield/Canopy Glue over them. It makes a big difference in their appearance. This is what it looks like on an AMT '65 GTO with chrome head lights.

016-4.jpg

Another simple trick (if possible) is to just glue a clear lense over the the chrome head lights. Doesn't look like that won't work on your particular grille though. If the head light is recessed behind the trim ring, it works great.

I've never tried the window maker stuff, but it makes sense. I'll have to give it a try. :) Steve

Ditto on the wash. I'd use thinned flat black Testors acrylic paint,brush it in, then after, go over the grille with a q-tip and buff the paint off the unwanted area.. Do this in small areas and be patient...the end result is worth it.

In addition to detailing the headlight lenses as has been suggested, you might also wany to give the center part of the grille a blackwash with either The Detailer, or thinned down flat black paint.

Also, Tamiya Smoke acryllic paint (not the spray can but the small bottle...) can do the same job as Detailer Black. But either way, toning down the chrome in the center definitely brings out the headlights more....

IMG_20150216_223239_886_zpsjnbk19tu.jpg

I tried the "window maker" on the parking lights on my latest build & it didn't work. It looked as if it was going to while it was wet, but it dried perfectly clear. Oh well, at least I tried it. "Your results may vary". Steve

Most likely, you put it on too thin. It does work if you put it on thick enough.

Most likely, you put it on too thin. It does work if you put it on thick enough.

I put it on as thick as the part would allow. So thick in fact, that the glue began to sag onto the bumper before it could dry. And yet, after it dried completely..... Couldn't even tell I put it on. Oh well, maybe I'll try again sometime in the future. Steve