#201 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Full Name:Harold

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Very Cool, I have a friend that wants me to build him a replica of his car. Any time frame?

#202 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Sorry Harold, as if there was a projected date I have forgot about it already. I'll check next month and see if I can get any more info on it. Or you could e-mail Galaxie and ask them?

#203 Mike_G

Mike_G

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Graves aka "the infamous Captain Reverb"

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

I won the sedan delivery kit with the complimentary raffle ticket I got with my show entry at the OSSM show in Clackamas a couple of years back, I also recently completed the Aerosedan, but haven't had a chance to take any finished pics

48Chevy1.JPG

I dechromed the carbs and intake manifold and metalized them:

48ChevyMotor1.JPG

The interior was kept pretty simple- the white is just the primer:

48ChevyInterior2.JPG

Body color painted and kit decals applied- I ended up not liking the ones on the skirts so I nixed 'em:

48Chevy2.JPG

48Chevy3.JPG

Finished:

46ChevySedanDelivery1.JPG

I attached the front fenders before painting the body on the Sedan Delivery, and followed the instructions on the Aerosedan- if I build another one I'll probably attach the fenders first, it seemed to turn out better that way although it was a little more work to wetsand. I also cut the top end of the front spindles so they would install "deeper" in the upper suspension arms, whose mounting points were also raised slightly on the Aerosedan so it would sit lower.

They are great kits and well-worth building, but I did notice a couple of problems, the one that comes to mind is the chrome headlight bezels on both kits had sinks in the tops that were pretty noticeable- on the Sedan Delivery I stripped them and used some Mr. White putty to fill the low parts, then metalized them and buffed them out. I left the ones on the Aerosedan chrome as I was trying to finish it in time for a contest, which I did... at 4:45AM the day of the meet where it won 1st place in Box Stock class, sitting there gassing out paint fumes :D

-Mike

#204 Rick R

Rick R

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Full Name:Rick Rothermel

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

One of the best kits the hobby has ever seen, period.

#205 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

VERY nice work on that sedan delivery, Mike.

Which Metallizer did you use for the headlight retaining rings? It looks close enough to kit chrome to work well for the small parts.

Charlie Larkin

#206 Mike_G

Mike_G

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

VERY nice work on that sedan delivery, Mike.

Which Metallizer did you use for the headlight retaining rings? It looks close enough to kit chrome to work well for the small parts.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks for the kind comment, Charlie. I used MM "aluminum plate" buffing metalizer in the rattlecan for the headlight bezels- it has the best chrome appearance IMO

Edited by Mike_G, 04 January 2013 - 07:23 AM.

#207 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Full Name:Harold

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Way to go Mike You won Floyds Sedan Delivery and I got the Aero Sedan. Very Nice build!!! Really like the interior!!

#208 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Has anybody else had a problem with at least one of the rear bumper mounts being broken? In all but two I've opened, they were that way.

#209 Ron Hamilton

Ron Hamilton

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Full Name:Ronald Hamilton

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

I have both kits, and have not built them yet, only because I have not decided on the build. I have seeen a couple built up, and they are exquisite. There was a sedan delivery not too far from me, which I would have liked to built a replica of, but the guy moved away. That said, these kits are among the best detailed out of the box kits I have ever seen. I have built several different brands of model cars, some good kits and some bad, but to malign this one does not make any sense to me.

#210 Mike_G

Mike_G

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Has anybody else had a problem with at least one of the rear bumper mounts being broken? In all but two I've opened, they were that way.

Neither of mine were broken to start with, but I managed to break them myself without too much effort.