Model Cars Magazine Forum

Backed the old Plymouth out of the garage today...

Jeff Sauber

Very cool Jeff, I'm happy you finally picked up a new camera. One word of advice, never take pictures under direct sunlight, they always come out much better under cloudy or overcast days!!! :mellow: That's the main reason these came out so cool!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Bill...You know, now that I have the race car version finished, I've been considering doing an all out build of the movie car version.... ;)

Is that AMT kit of the '58 fury any good?.........Last time I saw one, something seemed a little off about the body..

Jeff, there are so many things wrong with that kit, it would take up all the bandwidth on the board to name them all! :blink:

1. The roof is too low

2. The rear fenders (especially the fins) are too low.

3. The side trim is "crooked" because the rear fenders are too low. Trim should run in a straight line from front fender to fin.

4. It's been said the interior is wrong, but I'm not sure about that......

I have ways to fix the body, but right now I'm not into the superdetail mode. The kit is actually a Belvedere, but with a LOT of work, can be made into a proper Fury.

I'm sure others can name a few other things that's wrong with that car. ;)

Jeff, if you ever decide to fix that '58, here's a few tips to maybe help you along.

If you can find a derelict kit of the old X-EL/Johan '59 Dodge, (or just the body)...............Wack the roof off of that in place of the incorrect RC2 Belvedere. The lines of that roof are dead on accurate-----a '59 Plymouth Fury hardtop roof would work too.

For the windshield frame, you could use the frame off of the '57 Chrysler 300C which would be correct for '58 Plymouth hardtops, while every other Chrysler make went with the "bubble/wrapover" windshield for hardtops and convertibles in '58.

The fins would need some "raising" with a slight angle upwards starting just behind the door, and make the fins themselves about a scale inch taller------and for the side trim, I would sand that away and just make new trim using strip styrene. The anodized chrome inside the trim you can replicate with gold cake decorating foil you get at the craft stores.

A lot of work yes, but in the end a whole lot better than what RC2 gave us! :D

Jeff, I put the '55 Ford on hiatus for a while due to trouble with getting the driver's door to shut and latch properly. This was before I discovered those tiny magnets I used in the Cougar II build. It's about 90% done..........just a matter of getting the chrome replated, doing some engine bay work and then getting it all together in the chassis.

Maybe after I get the Merc done, I'll start back on it---------unfortunately I'm hobbling around this big house on crutches as I tore (possibly) an Achilles tendon in my left ankle/heel last weekend. I go for an MRI this morning so they can get a better idea to see what happened.........it's just mighty painful to walk on my left foot at times.

You'd think I'd have more time for building as I'll be off work for the next two weeks (possible longer) but when you have a hard time getting up and down the stairs as it is with trying to get something done, it just ain't that easy. :lol: