Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC Community Build

Chuck Most

AMC "RAMBLUR"

Hi Chuck,

I saw your photo of the "Ramblur" at the start of this community build, and was very interested. I am working on a similar project, starting with the snap kit...I'm building it as a very mild custom, with two-tone paint, wide whites, and china red steel wheels.

I've filled in the hood to stock, installed a windshield and am adding an interior (modified from a '50 Ford)

I've replaced the grill with my own (first time using guitar string as fine horizontal bars, which turned out not too bad.) I'll post photos of the the finished build soon I hope, as I want to have it done to take to NNL East.

Incidentally, this is my first post ever, so I will try to keep an eye on this topic, but thanks for getting it started.

Brian

• 1 month later...

OK Chuck, I'm jumping in, with a partially built AMT Matador I picked up for $22. The engine was built in typical glue-bomb fashion, so I decided to glue the hood shut and go curbside. Since I'm going curbside, I decided to say the heck with the suspension, I want this baby slammed! So I added an aluminum tube on the top of the frame up front, and drilled a hole for the wire axle out back. I've got two sets of rims in mind, and two different colors of aluminum sleeves.

75Matador006-vi.jpg

Rim option #1 (There will be some Pegasus disc brake rotors in these babies too, just not yet!)

75Matador007-vi.jpg

Rim option #2...

75Matador008-vi.jpg

The new front "suspension"!

75Matador009-vi.jpg

75Matador010-vi.jpg

And the rear axle. The rear end will still be installed, just so something is visible from behind the car.

75Matador011-vi.jpg

75Matador012-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Now onto the interior. Since the paint scheme I've dreamed up is a modern version of the classic AMC Racing colors, I needed some White to go with the Red & Blue. So the seats, console, dash & door panels are White, the carpeting and package tray are Blue flocking.

Craft Bond, flocking and strainer, and masked off interior...

75Matador013-vi.jpg

Craft Bond sprayed onto the interior bucket...

75Matador014-vi.jpg

And a heavy coating of Blue flocking from the strainer. I pressed it into place, knocked the excess off and...

75Matador015-vi.jpg

Once very Blue carpeted interior bucket!

75Matador016-vi.jpg

And we have one very bright Blue & White interior!

75Matador018-vi.jpg

75Matador019-vi.jpg

75Matador020-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

After screwing up the paint, changing my mind and going in a different direction, I decided to strip the body and go back to my original idea, so into the tank she went. While it was stripping, I toyed around with a few ideas, and finally settled on a kind of body kit/ground effects for it. I started out with the weird little thing in the first pic, I still don't know for sure if it's gonna end up on here or not, we'll see. I started on the passenger side, cutting out a piece of .030 styrene, shaping it, then gluing it down to the body. I rounded the top edges a bit, then laid down another thin strip of .030 styrene at the very bottom edge, and a .020 strip above that, to give the bottom edge a bit more thickness than the top. Once that was all blended together, a piece of half-round was glued to the very bottom edge, some more fine sanding and a small spot of filler, and this first part is done!

75Matador083-vi.jpg

75Matador084-vi.jpg

75Matador085-vi.jpg

75Matador086-vi.jpg

75Matador087-vi.jpg

75Matador088-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

I've got a spoiler in mind, I have no idea what kit it's from, but it looks just right on this baby! A bit more work, my last update for the night. I got the beginning of the rear end started (Which included smoothing out the tail lights and license plate recess), and the driver's side started, enjoy!

75Matador089-vi.jpg

75Matador091-vi.jpg

75Matador090-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

I'm leaning toward those rims too Chuck, but I've gotta find a use for those funky three-spokes sooner or later!

I have my spoiler setup, I carved a pair of holes in the underside of the spoiler, added the mounts from a '71 Duster spoiler, set it at an angle I liked, and that parts is all set! A pair of holes in the trunk, and we're good to go!

75Matador092-vi.jpg

75Matador094-vi.jpg

75Matador096-vi.jpg

75Matador093-vi.jpg

And a few pics of my body kit around the back bumper. I still have to thicken the bottom a bit, but this part was hard enough to get right, so I'll get to that part this weekend. So far, I'm really liking the look with the new additions!

75Matador097-vi.jpg

75Matador098-vi.jpg

75Matador099-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

• 2 weeks later...

This Matador has my attention! I'm with Chuck; Go with the first set of rims. Since you're planning a red, white, and blue color scheme, the red sleeves would be the way to go, at least in my opinion. Your body kit looks like it might have come from the AMC Styling Department, if it were still around today.

I have a few resto projects that would fit here, Jo-Han 66 Marlin, 62 Ramble Taxi/4dr sedan,

AMT issue Jo-Han Mark Donahue AMX/Javelin Penski Nascar, MPC 76 Pacer 'X'.

A few started, MPC bushwaker CJ (2) Hose reel carriers for my Scale Fire Department

62 Studebaker Lark/Daytona Convertible Indy Pace Car,

I have a few New kits, Coca-Cola issue & Bobby Allison Matador's, The Hudson Hornet,

& 59 Rambler Wagon

I also have a few OLD Builts. 77 Pacer Wagon, 75 Matador 'X', Jeep J-10 Honcho Pickup

Fire Department unit, & 72 Commando Chief's car with Snow plow

The only problem I have on resto, new or stalled, NO place to work!!!!

some of them are pictured in my Photobucket

http://s145.photobuc.../r229/EdselDan/

Sub-albums Fire Department & Models- AMC Collection

AMC Collection is another Sub-Album In Models

Fire Department is one of the Sub-Albums on the front page like 'Models'

I should have named the Model Kits, Model Cars, etc, not just "Models"

That one might give the wrong impression

Edited by Edsel-Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I made a little progress tonight and was able to join the rear body halves with some filler strips. Yes, it looks rough now, but there will be much shaping and sanding ahead, not to mention slicing off the twelve scale inches behind the rear wheel arches to match the concept car.

52412AMXGT.jpg

It looks rough now, but there will be plenty of shaping and sanding ahead, not to mention slicing off the twelve scale inches behind the rear wheel arches to match the concept car:

AGT.jpg

Once the basic shape is established, I will add the drip rails, window trim, and other details back onto the body shell...then try to figure out just what the interior looked like on this car. :huh:

Edited by Casey

After taking plenty of measurements, marking the body shell, and preparing to shorten the rear of the body, I realized I had overlooked something. I assumed the AMX GT used the '68/9 AMX rear quarter panels for the most part, and especially the rear wheel arches, which was a mistake on my part. The rear wheel arches are actually higher and slightly larger than the stock arches, so that explained why the rear bumper location wasn't working out. The solution was to raise and enlarge the rear wheel arches, so off came the AMX's rear valence panel (which I had fit and glued on this morning), and with some help from a sanding drum, I got the wheel arches close to where they need to be.

Before, with the red line denoting where the top of the wheel arch should be:

RrWhlArch1.jpg

After, with the new arch location and shape:

RrWhlArch2.jpg

Now the rear bumper's character line will align with the bodyline, and I can establish the rear bumper location in relation to the body shell. I also re-glued the rear valence panel (and what little remained of the rear lower pieces of the old wheel arches) back onto the body shell:

RrVal2.jpg

I did some leveling on the roof and "trunk" area, but I will need to add material below the rear window, so most of it will eventually be covered. Now I need to find a decent smooth, racing style flip fuel cap...

AGT.jpg

Once the basic shape is established, I will add the drip rails, window trim, and other details back onto the body shell...then try to figure out just what the interior looked like on this car. :huh:

Nice work on your GT Casey. I have been planning a build of that for a few years now. Collecting pics, parts, and whatnot. My plan was to use the Gremlin modified body(which I have 2 of....just in case ;) ) It seems very close the GT's rear shape. I haven't found any interior pics yet either, which has stalled my starting on this project. If you find any please post them.

Do you go to Milwaukee NNL??? If so please bring your build next year(finished or not), I would really like to see that one in person.

IMG_4179.jpg

Note top color here. IIRC I read that the top was painted black at some point.

1968_AMC_Board_of_Directorshoodandroofpaintedblack.jpg

Anyway, I have several AMC builds..... most unstarted, a few in progress, and a couple finished. I'll post my in progress stuff in a couple of days in hopes I get some motivation to continue on at least one of them.

GREAT thread BTW

Edited by novadose71

Nice work on your GT Casey. I have been planning a build of that for a few years now. Collecting pics, parts, and whatnot. My plan was to use the Gremlin modified body(which I have 2 of....just in case ;) ) It seems very close the GT's rear shape. I haven't found any interior pics yet either, which has stalled my starting on this project. If you find any please post them.

Do you go to Milwaukee NNL??? If so please bring your build next year(finished or not), I would really like to see that one in person.

I haven't been for many years..sixteen to be exact. I will try to make it in 2013, but now the pressure to finish is on! :lol:

All the reference I have was pulled of the web, and interior shots seem to be non-existent. I did notice the car uses the AMX woodgrain steering wheel and what look to be AMX bucket seats, so I will probably use most of the AMX dash, column, steering wheel, etc. and the interior tub. The chassis is going to take a ton of work, though, but at least I have the freedom to guess what the area behind the seats was like. The trunk bustle is my next hurdle, as the rear overhang is so stubby, adding any extra length means the oustide corners need to be sloped even more, and the "trunk" contour more rounded. :unsure:

Note top color here. IIRC I read that the top was painted black at some point.

1968_AMC_Board_of_Directorshoodandroofpaintedblack.jpg

Anyway, I have several AMC builds..... most unstarted, a few in progress, and a couple finished. I'll post my in progress stuff in a couple of days in hopes I get some motivation to continue on at least one of them.

Thanks for that pic, Rob. I think I'm sticking with the red, white and blue version, as the color scheme meshes so well with the AMC logo.

Looking forward to seeing some of your AMC projects, too. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Remember that Rambler American from way, way, way back? Well, I was surfing the web last night looking for images of a '63 Rambler Classic 660 (because I do stuff like that when I can't get to sleep), and stumbled across this...

61-vi.jpg

I'd planned to do the Rambler as a beater, and now I've got something to go by. Hopefully this means it will make its way back onto the bench.

Chuck , I'm seeing alot of cool stuff going on in this CBP and have been waiting to find a kit so I could join in .

I finally found one and wanted to let you know that I'm in !

I've already started another build so this one will be next on my table . There's no time limit right ?

BOB .

Edited by TooOld