Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mark this is all impressive. From the machining of the hubs/disks to the making of the rims. I am interested in learning more about this acid etch method. I have always wanted to try micro marks photo etch set. But the rim pieces look very clean with this method you have done. Keep up the great work

I tried to figure out the Micro-Mark etch set, but without seeing it firsthand I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I think it uses Ferric Chloride to etch. A lot of the success (or failure as the case may be) is in the resist.

I made the taillight panel and added the ledge for the inside of the trunk…

DSC01595.jpg

DSC01594.jpg

Comin' along nicely Mark. Being not in my right mind I thought this'd be a Fun build for a SCAA Regional SoCal Club Racer that would have run Riverside and Ontario Sponsored by ..... In and Out Burgers :lol::D

Not sure about the In and Out Burger sponsorship, but yes, homebuilt daily fair-weather driver / weekend toy/racer... That is the realm I envision it in, at this time... (I'm not even in my left mind...)

And Thanks all!

I made the understructure of the deck lid from two layers of sheet styrene. I acid etched the hinge set from brass using artwork I designed. It is temporarily pinned together with a paper clip.

DSC01614.jpg

DSC01613.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

Thanks guys, it is challenging sometimes, but fun!

The oval shaped raised sections on the taillight panel are brass. I acid etched them with a pair of raised rings on the back that aligned with the holes in the taillight panel. I got caught up in assembling them and neglected to take pictures before I permanently installed them…

The light bezels were machined from 6061 aluminum to fit into the brass parts.

DSC01622.jpg

DSC01624.jpg

Mark, I've been a fan for many years since seeing your various works on the forums I belong to. Always impressed by what I see and always left speechless at the quality of craftsmanship you bring. This is yet just another amazing work of art that I thank you for sharing with us. I'm in for more until you call it finished. Amazing job.

Thanks again guys.

It's time to start on the engine. Since I already made the cam cover I figured I'd work my way down from there. The head is made from sheet styrene. First I built a box for the top portion that fits to the already made aluminum cam cover, and then I started adding the external details.

DSC01709.jpg

DSC01710.jpg

I built another box for the lower section of the head. This part was a little more work since I also had to accommodate the header (I made the flange for it at the same time).

DSC01736.jpg

As well as the coolant filler…

DSC01728.jpg

and on the other side, the face for the intake manifold.

DSC01727.jpg

Still more work to do, but I also added locating tabs to the upper section to make it fit positively to the lower part.

DSC01729.jpg

DSC01730.jpg