Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jim, I can't think of a good argument in favor of primer, except to say if something works for you, stick with it. It's basic purpose is to provide better paint adhesion, prevent rust and to show flaws. Allow me to get silly when I say that I've never seen ANY paint fail to adhere to a surface; I've never had a model rust out on me; The gold does a better job of showing flaws, plus it requires less effort to sand.

LOOK !! Something shiny and worth a lot of money !! Luis, you are a silly person and I appreciate that.

Thank you, as always, for your insight Brett. You always look for the pluses with the negatives. Everybody that has found something that works for them should stick with it. Thanx for your support of the updated HUG. The Deora still looks futuristic 45 years after it's debut and needs a sleeker ride to haul around. Raise your hand if you knew the Deora took the Riddler Award on it's debut at the Detroit Autorama in 1967.

Thanx Steve. There will be "Go-age", oh yeah. Epic Goage !!

I would have "Quoted " the responses, but I kept getting an error about the number of opening and closing quote marks........new one on me. I'll have some sanding pics later today.

This beast is coming along great! I've been following it from the bleachers since you began, and your inmagination has been inspirational. You've got me thinking along the lines of an 8-wheel (12-wheel?) early-50's Chevy COE car hauler now... Chopped, dropped, channeled, etc, of course! :)

Keep up the good work and keep those happy snaps coming!

PM me when you start it. I love COE's !!

This thing is cool, Nice bodywork, Just a suggestion for you, To level out the roof area better,So it doesn't droop, Use a piece of sheet plastic, cut just before on the front of the areas, that droop, then sand it back to blend in better, Then add your putty you're using, This will save you alot of time, And the bodywork won't shrink later. Just a little tip to pass along, This is going to look great when done,Slap a phantom HUG 71 Duster on there, That would be a cool car to have on it. Plus its a small car. Very cool project.

Mike - You've got a lot of competition out there for the Slowest Builder Title. I nominate Leonardo DaVinci. I haven't seen a model from him in centuries !!

Tony - You're Welcome and now you're smarter than yesterday. Didn't think that was possible, didja' ??

John - I'm leaning really hard towards that 2010 Challenger. Thinking about lengthening (and widening?) the rear window fills me with dread and excitement (but not too much excitement).

Virgil - Hold yer Hossies on the paint. There's a whole lot o' Hauler Housing fitment that requires body handling. Final paint is a ways off. sorry........

Walt - Blowing people away is my main purpose in life. Wait 'till you see what I see in my brain pan........

Steve - GMTA. That's what I did on the roof. It was like laying a driveway. After I lay down some more, I'll block sand it. I like the Duster idea. Don't count anything out until you see the pictures of what it will be.

Now, while I was typing all of this in, a silvery voice from downstairs called my name and said, "You've got a package !!" I wonder what it might be ?? If my guess is right, it's a HUG model, some PE pedals and throttle linkage, and some decal paper. But that's just a guess.......Whoot !!

So, now that I am back from hiatus, let's get serious with this bad mamajamma. The first thing to do to determine nose height here is make sure the body isn't too tall. Thanx to some great design work by Dodge and outstanding precision from Revell on the lower body molding, we have lost the front spoiler, rear roll pan and exhaust cut outs, along with the lower side trim. Just under 1/4" all around. In the morning I'll mock up the HUG chassis and see where she sits.

One final note. I've opened up the front grille and lower air dam. The grille will get mesh and possibly only 2 headlights. Remember when low beam and high beam were in one light?

2007-02-25006.jpg2007-02-25007.jpg2007-02-25008.jpg

Little more on the Challenger mock up. Started by chopping the interior behind the front seats. After completing that, a test fit had the floor pan showing under the shortened body side panels, so I had to make a new floor. Don't need a trans hump anyway, right ?? Figured I'd just incorporate the rear firewall into that. Don't know if it worked yet because I need to narrow the top of the wall to fit the roof contour. If necessary after the next test fit, I'll cut off some material from the bottom of the interior door panels.

There is a substantial wheelbase difference that I will compensate for by lengthening the HUG frame at the marks indicated. More on that tomorrow.

2007-02-26001.jpg2007-02-26002.jpg2007-02-26004.jpg2007-02-26005.jpg

Edited by Batzilla

Joe......luv your creative mind.......you have the greatest ideas man.......and you work so fast and clean......great job.

Right on John. I did have this whacky idea about putting a blower on a four cylinder, but if you don't use it, I'll wait until I build a motorcycle.

You also have a nice way of calling me retentive. lol Thanx

See Joe, this is why I suggested the slingshot dragster or something else fairly small. The Challenger looks WAY to big for that hauler. The scales just don't jive man.

I'm guessing by your signature that you are or have been an Imagineer. I would have loved to be involved in that !! At any rate, keep in mind that you are looking at a 2D image. What I am seeing in 3D may not be as far off as you think they might be. Both kits are 1/25 (I made sure of that), and at the moment neither one has tires and the hauler housing may add some depth to this that isn't there now. I'm sure you also realize from your own builds (saw your builds (NICE) on PB and I want your page skin), that paint and graphics, especially stripes, can be visually thinning.

I do agree that a slingshot would be a very appropriate subject, but I would want a long one, not a "snubnose" shorty, because I would want it to compliment the stretch look of the hauler. On the up side, the Challenger fits as far as length goes (barely), whereas the Jungle Jim car had too much overhang. A short subject might make it look too blockish. I don't want a streamliner carrying a brick on it's back.

Seriously my friend, it ain't over 'til the decals go on as far as I'm concerned. With me, anything can change at any time. Hey, do me a favor? Go out your front door, face Orlando, then a little south and wave at my daughter and GrandBratz in Auburndale. Let me know if they wave back.

Love your input. Keep me on my toes.

I'm guessing by your signature that you are or have been an Imagineer. I would have loved to be involved in that !!

Imagineer is a term I'd heard years ago from a fellow modeler who did a lot of kitashing. Since my work follows a similar vein, I adopted the term. I've no affiliation with Disney or any other company that used the term.

At any rate, keep in mind that you are looking at a 2D image. What I am seeing in 3D may not be as far off as you think they might be. Both kits are 1/25 (I made sure of that), and at the moment neither one has tires and the hauler housing may add some depth to this that isn't there now. I'm sure you also realize from your own builds (saw your builds (NICE) on PB and I want your page skin), that paint and graphics, especially stripes, can be visually thinning.

Thanks. The page skin was on option through PB, I'm sure you can still find it. I'll wait and see how this turns out. I think the aspect that just jumps out at me is that the Challenger appears taller than the hauler, but we'll see how it looks when everything is sitting on four paws.

I do agree that a slingshot would be a very appropriate subject, but I would want a long one, not a "snubnose" shorty, because I would want it to compliment the stretch look of the hauler. On the up side, the Challenger fits as far as length goes (barely), whereas the Jungle Jim car had too much overhang. A short subject might make it look too blockish. I don't want a streamliner carrying a brick on it's back.

Anyone have the length dimensions of the Slingshot from the Double Dragster kit? Just for the heck of it?

Seriously my friend, it ain't over 'til the decals go on as far as I'm concerned. With me, anything can change at any time. Hey, do me a favor? Go out your front door, face Orlando, then a little south and wave at my daughter and GrandBratz in Auburndale. Let me know if they wave back.

Done, and yep, they waved back. But I'm pretty sure they thought I was nuts.

Love your input. Keep me on my toes.

It's what I do. My supervisors at work don't seem to appreciate it like you do though.

Alrighty then, got 2 builds goin'. Is this the Drag-u-la or... Right !! Got it

Lot's o' mock up today, primarily on the frame and interior. The engine cradle and trans are going to be a challenge ®, but the addition of 3/4 inch to the wheelbase was a cake walk. I almost didn't have to do any physical labor at all.

Remember the trans hump I said I wasn't going to need? Turns out it'll make a perfect blower belt recess for the interior if I stand it on end. Might put a window in it too. As you will see in the last picture, I need to re-tub the fender wells also. So 'till something better comes along, that's it for today.

A quick note: My SD card broke off inside the card reader. I managed to get out the broken bit, but if my ability to post pictures is suddenly kaput, you'll know why.

2007-02-26002-Copy.jpg2007-02-26004-Copy.jpg2007-02-26006.jpg2007-02-26007.jpg

Edited by Batzilla

LOL Here I go again. The Hemi Under Glass is being put aside to be completed after the Dragula and the Bride of Deora. I have made the final decision on the car to go with the hauler. First of all, thank you everyone for : A-Putting up with my silliness and changes and the delays it has caused and; B-All of those who have given their opinions and made their suggestions as to what would look best on here. Especially those who have PM'd me with their ideas. Even though I may not have used those suggestions, they did lead to my deciding how to go. Overall, I've been dying to do a Charlie Allen Dart and I've wanted to get current projects out of the way before tackling it. The HECK with that !! There's no time like the present.

I know that John T and Shane and others have done the Dart and I don't expect to hit those levels of detail, but it will have my own unique build style. At any rate, the body and decals have been ordered from Competition Resins, so as soon as the Dragula is finished (3 to 4 days), I'm back on this full time. Deal ??

Great !! See ya back here, same Bat-Time, Same Bat-Forum.

Edited by Batzilla

<GROAN....> Not ANOTHER great build going on hiatus? Rommel is painting his Daytona with the head of a toothpick....Randy's Rat Rod is being restored.... Eric forgot he was building a beautiful `64 Dodge, and now this.

All kidding aside, I have a rear engined 12 cylinder Daytona open wheel roadster that's been in limbo for 10 years.... Maybe I'll post pictures and get MORE people hanging on for updates. nana.gif