Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cheap decals

OK I mentioned this to someone looking for stripes. I only tried this doing my last builds and it worked great for me. This is only a cheap way of doing stripes but if your an artist there are no ends to it. I thought people did this that is why I never mentioned it before this. All you need is a sheet of waterslide decal paper. I just used a spraybomb to paint the paper the color (s) I needed. Let it dry good cut and soak it water and apply. Simple for those small or larger stripes. I hope this will help. All the stripes were done this way on both of these builds.

">http://http://s231.photobucket.com/user/alangarber/media/Semi%20Models/MamaandBoss001.jpg.html'>MamaandBoss001.jpg

Hmm..................I wouldn't have thought that paint would be flexible enough.

You need a straight edge and a very sharp exacto. I've had painted decals chip before. But once you painted a sheet, the strips are so cheap that you can afford to mess up a few.

Tip: do not cut the decals and then spray them, the paint will seal the decal to the backing paper. Ask me how I know....

Scuff the shine off the decal sheet first, that helps with adhesion.

Absolutely correct, I also learned this the hard way.

Absolutely correct, I also learned this the hard way.

They will curl up too. i find spraying even 1/3 of a sheet is ok. Then I just turn it over and mark the shape with a pencil, cut it out and put some water on a flat surface lay it on top and hold it flat for a while . After applied press it out then when dry seal it.