Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gold'n Duece Update

Steve H.

Heres my latest update on my 32 project. I laid down Model Master Inca Gold over buffed Mettalizer aluminum plate (the brightest silver paint in my stash). After a clear coat of MM hi gloss, all it needs is a once-over with some polishing compound. I don't think I've ever laid down a color/clear coat as smooth... everything always needs a little work to smooth it out! On the down side, some of my body work ghosted up, but I'm going to accept it and call it good!

The scratch built firewall will be covered in mirror mylar. I'm planning to make some pearl white tuck and roll panels for the running boards and roof insert. The stock kit interior will be pearl white also.

Question... Where are the spark plugs on a nailhead engine? I can't find any good ref pics.

gold1-vi.jpg

I tried yet another new technique with the Alclad. I always have problems with the black base bleeding thru, so... I primed with Tamiya flat black, cleared it with Tamiya gloss clear and shot the parts in Alclad polished aluminum. Alclad polished aluminum seems to go on better for me and to my eye, looks about the same as chrome.

chrome1-vi.jpg

Anyways, I'm just about ready to build up the chassis and running gear.

Enjoy... comments always welcome!

The Paint looks really good, Steve. Did the base color make much difference in the finished color with the new Testors lacquer? I've found that the earlier lacquer colors cover so well that the base made litle difference.

Yeah, it did. I tried it over primer grey, white, gold and aluminum. The shine of the aluminum really brings out the color and flake.

Paint job looks really great. Is this the Testors Lacquer new one-coat system or is it the two-coat? Hope you get this done in time for the NNL.

I have run into the same problem with the Alclad. The polished aluminum is sometimes brighter than the chrome. The trick that I have found to get the chrome really bright is to do several really light dust coats and let it slowly build up. After it's cured, take a terry cloth and do a light buffing. Then the chrome will really shine.

Heres my latest update on my 32 project. I laid down Model Master Inca Gold over buffed Mettalizer aluminum plate (the brightest silver paint in my stash). After a clear coat of MM hi gloss, all it needs is a once-over with some polishing compound. I don't think I've ever laid down a color/clear coat as smooth... everything always needs a little work to smooth it out! On the down side, some of my body work ghosted up, but I'm going to accept it and call it good!

The scratch built firewall will be covered in mirror mylar. I'm planning to make some pearl white tuck and roll panels for the running boards and roof insert. The stock kit interior will be pearl white also.

Question... Where are the spark plugs on a nailhead engine? I can't find any good ref pics.

gold1-vi.jpg

I tried yet another new technique with the Alclad. I always have problems with the black base bleeding thru, so... I primed with Tamiya flat black, cleared it with Tamiya gloss clear and shot the parts in Alclad polished aluminum. Alclad polished aluminum seems to go on better for me and to my eye, looks about the same as chrome.

chrome1-vi.jpg

Anyways, I'm just about ready to build up the chassis and running gear.

Enjoy... comments always welcome!

Steve,

Great looking paint job, man. I can't wait to try some of the new Testor's paint myself. I haven't found it around here yet though.

What is the source for the mylar that you are going to use for thr firewall. I've been trying to find some that I could use on some windows in a '60 Ford Wagon but, to no avail.

REX

Steve,

Great looking paint job, man. I can't wait to try some of the new Testor's paint myself. I haven't found it around here yet though.

What is the source for the mylar that you are going to use for thr firewall. I've been trying to find some that I could use on some windows in a '60 Ford Wagon but, to no avail.

REX

I don't have the mylar yet, but I plan on going to the local plastic supply place, Tap Plastics, to see what I can scrounge up. I'll probably have to buy way more than I need, so hit me up on it later.

The paint is the new Testors one-coat system, but trust me, it still needs a second coat of clear.

Definitely a good dose of "Hard Shine" attitude here.

If you can wait a few days, I have some Buick nailhead finned valve covers and matching spark plug covers in RTV tonight. The owner of my LHS and fellow model builder gave them to me to cast. Can't remember what vintage kit they came from, but they are RARE!!!

Here's what I'm talking about...

477854896_a115b2b849.jpg

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports

If you can wait a few days, I have some Buick nailhead finned valve covers and matching spark plug covers in RTV tonight. The owner of my LHS and fellow model builder gave them to me to cast. Can't remember what vintage kit they came from, but they are RARE!!!

Here's what I'm talking about...

477854896_a115b2b849.jpg

i'll take some :P;)

Oh yeah, I think I can wait a few days! You're like the Model Car Santa Claus, coming up with these right now!

I don't have the mylar yet, but I plan on going to the local plastic supply place, Tap Plastics, to see what I can scrounge up. I'll probably have to buy way more than I need, so hit me up on it later.

The paint is the new Testors one-coat system, but trust me, it still needs a second coat of clear.

Steve,

I don't know what you have in mind for your firewall. Do you want some kind of film to cover your existing firewall or do want to replace it with a mirrored styrene piece? If the latter is the case, I picked up a sheet at my LHS that's about 8"X12"X.040" that is probably just what you need. It's called Raboesch Super Sheets. If I remember right it was about $4.00. Looks pretty good. The edges are white when you cut it though. If you can't find what you need, let me know and I will cut you a piece of this and send to you. I thought about trying a window tinting place. Maybe get some of that mirrored tinting film.

REX