Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good source for tires. Resin or rubber

I am beginning to run short or tires. I only build my model in the california style with the wider tires on the rear but have now run out of useable tires. If a model kit comes with custom tires they are usually something low profile which I cannot use. In fact I have been using mismatched tires for awhile now. I like something like a 255/60-15 which it appears is a G60-15 in the old tire code. Now modelhouse does not seem to have any and if they do, they must be in some even older code beacuase everything is a T- something number. Anybody know a good place to find some goodyear polyglass 255/60-15, not nessecarliy goodyear but that size?

The rear tires in the 1/24 (ex-Monogram) '55 Chevy Street Machine kit (as well as the 1/24 Monogram '66 Malibus, '55 Ford Pickups and panels, '69 Camaros. etc.) are going to be close (I think they may be L-60s), but they may be a tad bit too wide.

Which wheels are you planning to use?

IMG_1984.jpg

The one one the left is what I am looking for. Not sure where they came from. I used to have quite a few, but these are the last ones I have. It says polyglass gt L60-15. According to my research a L60-15 is equivalent to a 285/60-15. Looks out of scale to me. It is about 13/32 of an inch wide. Diameter is about 1 1/8. Thats about what I am looking for. The wheels? I dont know until I start building a new kit. I usually can a way to make them work.

Edited by sak

It might be time to learn how to cast resin tires. I don't remember seeing those in resin, although I did not check Ma's Resins list, but he would be the first place I would think might have these. You might want to check with The Modelhaus, they may have something close or may be willing to consider casting them.

Those look like the standard, in-almost-every-ATM-kit-tooled-in-the-70's-80's tire combo...which were still in at least half of the reissues I bought in the late 90's early 00's. I'm sure there are hundreds floating around in the parts boxes of the members here, and considering how many people build to a more modern look I can't imagine you would have any trouble finding people who are willing to part with them.