Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Type 1 Motors

• 2 weeks later...

Cool project , I haven't owned or worked on any VW engines so I have no idea what the difference is between the Porsche and the VW . I always think I'd like to detail one but then I read posts from VeeDub enthusiasts and realize I don't know what 48 IDA, swing arm that ,92 mm this ,or single port even means . I've googled , purchased books even have a few magazines but can't quite see differences that I hear discussed . I'd like an accurate engine to go with the aforementioned Baja bug . Also how does the Hasegawa Kubelwagen engine compare / or be useful in a build like this ?

Regarding the engine parts...the Resin caster is working hard on getting some test shots done by mid August to work out any problems before producing some inventory. Because of the Baja bug kit, we agreed to push some offroad wheels and tires ahead of the engine block. I mastered a Jackman style rim along with some other surprises.

Randy.... The Porsche and VW engine are very different, but are based on a similar platform, shape and principles....air/oil cooled, flat four, opposed cylinders, upright fan, Mounted at the rear behind the transmission and rear wheels. The problem is that the model versions in plastic have been poor representations except for the fujimi porsche 356 version and the Tamiya 66 beetle/ Ghia version. How to hot rod vw engines is a great magazine/ book to learn the lingo. Hot VW's magazine is also helpful. Sometimes website or paper catalogs will give you learnings into the differences...check out Mid America motorworks or EMPI or others that advertise in Hot VW magazine. funny thing is, many of the differences of these different engines and parts can't really be seen in 1/25 scale very clearly once most of the parts are placed on the engine. It all depends on how accurate or detailed you want to get.

The kubelwagen engine is a good example of the very early vw engine...25 horse...that would probably not be accurate for a late 60's Baja bug. This engine is also molded a little flat and looks good Detail painted inside the Kubelwagen, but does not look right outside of the engine compartment with no engine tin. I have seen 36 horse engines in Baja bugs....like the amt Meyers Manx kit version, but the trans was the earlier version. Post or send me any questions you may have and I will be glad to help.

Randy- Old and STOCK VW's had single-barrel carbs with big oil bath air filters. Hot-rodded bugs MAY have dual-carb set-ups with Webers (the 48IDA/IDF was one kind with "48" meaning in millemeters the venturi size, or how "big" the carb was). Weber is just one company- Dellorto, Okrasa, Kadron, etc. are others. Folks know the difference between a Demon and a Rochester on models, so... This is the first mod I would do to a real Type 1 (Bug, Ghia, Thing motor). ANY air-cooled VW for that matter. Dual carbs also bring into account throttle linkages which are VERY noticable on 1:1 cars.

Modern motors had "dual-port" heads, instead of "single port". VERY noticable on an engine.

'68 and earlier Type 1's had "swing-axle" transmissions. After '69 they has IRS. A blaring omission in some kits. Some kits have the old split-case tranny where in a totally unexceptable situation.

The "92mm Jug" comment was smart-aleck on my part. It references the size of the cylinder on a bug engine (a stock 1600 motor had 87mm jugs), and would be impossible to differentiate in a model, or in 1:1 for that matter. Still, us bug afficiandos know.

Here is a stock motor-

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJBTdrF1wWghNex6AeWGAgXvO5Z6Vu1lGK2QE-lCPxuhQV3ca_KQ

Compared to an upgraded one-

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0fP83z9YB_DSi6Qto9Pfq3DstRSn5IyKjCyPQBRxJt85gRRfCoQ

And a REAL hot-rod-

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7By9QxjFd5KN3pAujAOSbDJjzzviN1NhASG4W-RazHyOfqNPR

Bug-style motors runnin' superchargers and nitro are the final step. They look NOTHING like a stock motor and would have to be scratch-built.

I think you can see that as much as everyone seems to strike for realism in their molds how the VW guys have been left out. No way am I gonna build one of these new Baja kits with the motor totally exposed, and not make it look right.

Hope this helps some. As my modeling prowess improves I'll show ya'll. I hope.

Dale

Edited by Dale W. Verts

Hey I've just come across this thread and yes I would certainly like to see and hopefully buy a few sets of parts. I have built a turbo Type 1 into an AMT Manx using various scratchbuilt bits of my own in both plastic and alloy. I'm also looking at initially resin casting Manx bodies both in two and four seater versions. I already test casted seats, surfboards and buggy sidepods but in resin plaster just to get the experience of casting, but the engines here are very intertesting.

My one problem is that I am in the UK and shipping costs are the one thing that nearly kills all thoughts of buying from the US, as sometimes we get caught for customs & excise(import) duty. So we buy an item plus $27 shipping and £12 duty , then we pay nearly 3 times the value of the purchase!

86_zps8146aa4c.jpg

Edited by PatW

More than 30 yrs. ago I owned this. 1835CC `68 swing axle Baja. I had quiet possibly then ONLY Holley Bug Spray 2 Bbl. that actually worked! PLEASE cast these engines!!!! I must build this car!!

Image1-vi.jpg

A picture of a picture of a much younger John….. if I could only go back in time to THAT DAY.

Loved my Bajas. Owned about twelve of them over the years, and may own one more yet!

I had several Bug Sprays. Horrible carbs. Flat spot from hell. Far better suited to the two-litre Pintos. But I also had one that was perfect. Just the one. Lots of memories with this this topic.

Dale

Here's just one pic of a resin plaster sidepod, I hope to start casting in resin soon, Manx bodies 2 and 4 seaters, the 2 seater first then cut it and add a centre section and cast that.

14_zps7bfbc349.jpg

Yes the plumbing of the turbo set up took a few weeks. Bending the plastic rod by candle, using 90degree corners from sprue mouldings and slotting the alloy tube over the top.

I'd seen the engine, or something like it on the back of Volksworld magazine here in the UK, so I thought I'd have a go!

Edited by PatW

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion , I picked up "how to HOTROD Volkswagen engines" off of EBAY . I got the earlier printing with the yellow cover and just the engine pictured . That picture alone answered several questions I had , I can even see where the dipstick is .

• 1 month later...

someone I know was searching high and low for that kit. I believe it is out of production and widely sought after world wide. do you know somewhere currently selling it? if so please post the info. thanks!

jb

i sent the maker a email on another forum tonight. When he gets back to me I will let you know.

I picked up a couple of sets of those a few months ago. Got the engine cooling fins/cylinders and the 356 upgrade parts. Some of the nicest P.E I've seen. Still haven't tried to put them together though... Looks intimidating

No I don't know if they are still available. Check out Gio at AF forums.

Regarding the type 1 engine and trans that I modified for the master... The caster will have them cast up in late sept early oct according to our last conversation. He was hoping to sell a bunch of the rims out of his first batch of castings to help fund the engines, but has sold very few sets. Sounds like he is a little apprehensive with investing too much money in casting the engine parts if all he gets is lots of interest and no orders. Just my interpretation. He is selling right now just on Facebook which may not reach everyone?