Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya....lets get it right.

As for Willys, I say it as Will-ees since before I heard the "correct" way to pronounce it, I'd never heard the name Willy produced as will-ih.

The name "Willy" has nothing to do with it. The cars don't belong to some guy named Willy.

The company and the cars are named after the company founder, John Willys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Willys

Ah so desu ne

kare wa nihongo ga wakarimasu

hehehehe

:-)

It always make me feel like nails on chalkboard when I hear the Ta My Ya pronounciation

Ta Me Ya

domo

In a southwest Virginia, think Galax (gay-lax for the uninitiated) or Rural Retreat - Do what?

On another note, how is Revell supposed to be pronounced? Rev-EL, or Rev-ul?

Edited by Nate

Rev-el. You don't pronounce bell "bull" do ya? :P

Right, but the general rules of speaking English would dictate that it be pronounced REV-ul, because of the first syllable. Like the word "revel" meaning to make merry, or have a good time.

If it was supposed to be pronaounced rev-EL, I would expect it to be spelled Revelle. I do think it's supposed to be pronounced rev-EL. I'm just bringing up the argument for the sake of argument, because it's fum to hear (or read, rather) other people's opinions.

Edited by Nate

However that's with a single "L". Double "L"s generally produce an "el" sound, such as bell, hell, sell, etc. At least that's how I think of it.

Also, when an "e" is added at the end, that means the preceding vowel is a long sound (sale, frame, sole, etc.). Whenever there's a word such as belle with a short vowel, it's generally taken from the French language.

Edited by Jordan White

Right, but the general rules of speaking English would dictate that it be pronounced REV-ul, because of the first syllable. Like the word "revel" meaning to make merry, or have a good time.

Yeah, but English is really quirky, and just about every "rule" has exceptions.

Example: how can you possibly explain why the words in these pairs are pronounced differently?

foot, boot

good, food

weight, height

grieve, sieve

English makes no sense.

And my all-time favorite forum faux pas... people who don't know the difference between the words "lose" and "loose."

You can lose your keys... and your pants can be too loose... but you can't loose your keys and your pants can't be too lose...

And don't even get me started on people who don't know the difference between there, they're and their, or you're and your....

And it's mare-tsay-daz and not mer-say-dees.

Don't you mean...?

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey

A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?

As to your post, it should be mare-seh-dess. C doesn't take a t sound in German, but the z does.

Just to be more irritatingly pedantic:

Daimler, as used in Daimler-Benz, is dime-ler, not dame-ler. Don't know about the original British Daimler.

And if you really want to go whole hog, Benz is pronounced bents.

But overall, just go with the way they say it in their TV commercials. Pre-approved by the corporate office for usage worldwide.

Edited by sjordan2

And don't even get me started on people who don't know the difference between there, they're and their, or you're and your....

That's one of my pet peeves, too. Not to mention how a lot of people don't know how to use contractions properly.

As to your post, it should be mare-seh-dess. C doesn't take a t sound in German, but the z does.

C does take on a t sound in German, exactly like z, so Citroen is pronounced tseetroenn by most Germans, which is completely wrong. Vitamin C is pronounced wee tah meen tsay. Then there is ch, but I won't go there.