Model Cars Magazine Forum

We all have skills to build Models with. Some have specialties different from others... whats Yours??

I Like to detail engines especially Top fuel Motors.. a very Long and tedious task. But rewarding when accomplished right .

I really Like to Paint also.. But am still working on getting better at Multi staged Paint Jobs.

I have a few customs that I have started but No completed yet..chopped tops and the such.

My skills...

*Interior details

*Bodywork

*Paint...getting better at it :D

*Overall "vision"...the ability to "see" in my mind and build it into reality

*Best of all...a clean build style

I don't have the patience for engine details beyond plug wires and the occasional fuel line. Also don't have the patience for models with multipiece suspensions. It's SOOO much easier to get the stance I desire on my pro touring rides with a vintage "metal axle" chassis.

Building wise my skills lie in bodywork, and scratch building, but I think my biggest model building asset is I'm able to "see" a build in my head and be able to work though it mentally, and know what needs to be done In what order. I'm currently working on a mostly scratch built ferrari roadster. most of the build I can see in my head, now all I have to do is make the parts.

visionary and dreamer those are my assets to my hobby thus why I enjoy it so much.I can scratch build and work with brass, but doing too much and it slows the project down too much and I loose interest.The build has to be fairly simple to keep me on track.Just now getting good at paint and starting to do some wiring.I enjoy the larger scales so the scratch building and detailing is easier.Oh ya, I do love those aa motors!!

Mine has always been the little details. I'm getting better at paint. my engines are getting better, my interior have always been decent. i've started weathering chassis, but i've always enjoyed the little details, like mud flaps, antenna's, stuff that should be there but most people tend to miss them. I also like electronics, starting to scratchbuild little satelite radio recievers, with PE CD players. also, every model I build has it own correct PA state licence plate, and inspecton stickers (depending upon the age of the vehicle.)

Grill work. For some reason I've always been able to make the grillwork look good. On many of my earlier models it is the best part.

Decals. Also one of my favorite parts. I am a decal junky...since May 2004 I've purchased more then 1500 NASCAR decals...

Hey, does spending money count as a skill? :lol:

I guess my main skill is getting online and appreciating other peoples builds. I like doing engine detailing...often times I find myself adding little details that can't even be seen once the engine is in the car. My painting is okay...usually I get what I think is a pretty nice finish on a car and I take it to a show or club meeting and then I see what a REALLY nice paint job is...usually on something done by Lyle Willits, Irv Arter, Cruz, Mike Hemp...etc etc! :lol: I don't do a lot of scratchbuilding ( except little engine doodads) and my interiors suck. I don't build a lot of convertibles so I don't put a lot of effort in the interiors.

I enjoy the early aspects of a project the most, the raw scratch building stage of a project. Also incorporating something that I have machined up from aluminum or stainless steel.

I could probably spend all my time getting models into the pre-primer stage and stopping right there, and be very happy with them. I tend to lose interest in the painting and finally assembly.

My main claim to fame is having an imagination. I try to build at least one model every year with something or feature that has never been done before. A good example is the '60 Ford that I built about two years ago. It was designed to be an "air car", that is a car that floats instead of using wheels. I accomplished this by using four magnets, conceled of course. I am in the process, as we speak, building a Karman Ghia for the GSL in Salt Lake City. I gaurantee that no one has ever built one like this before. Hopefully it will be pictured, somewhere.

bob

I try to get a balance between all aspects like painting, interiors, engine etc. I love all aspects of the build but for some unexplainable reason, I have an obsession with working the underside of cars: Chassis, suspension, powertrain etc.

01f.JPG

67btm.JPG

MVC-311F.JPG

DSCF0215.JPG

c.jpg

DSCF5442b.jpg

Thanks,