Model Cars Magazine Forum

85 GMC Van 8/9/17 Fixed for Fotki

Gee, Mike, I didn't see you at MassCar. If you saw the guy with the Canon FD and Sunpak 600 blinding everyone....well, that was me.

Hopefully next year, we can catch each other. Will you be heading to NNL?

Charlie Larkin

Ah Charlie .. I did see you but didn't realize it was you. I noticed all that equipment cause I was hauling my Nikon D80 around ...just built-in flash though. Did you take the pics for the club? I noticed how much light they had.

It's looking like I'm going to miss NNL East this year.

Edited by Foxer

Ah Charlie .. I did see you but didn't realize it was you. I noticed all that equipment cause I was hauling my Nikon D80 around ...just built-in flash though. Did you take the pics for the club? I noticed how much light they had.

It's looking like I'm going to miss NNL East this year.

I take the pictures for me, but I always offer to share with the rest of the membership if they want them.

That GMC derrick truck was something else.

As to NNL, perhaps next year. As fair warning, Mike, I'll be heading out your way in the not too distant future for some stuff I have going on in Berkshire County. If you're up to it, perhaps we can do lunch, as I'll be around Lee/Pittsfield.

Charlie Larkin

Foxer, sorry for not responding from time to time on this build! You are sure knockin' this one out of the ball park! The wheels look spectacular, decals are amazing, and the overall build is jus' stunningly beautiful! Who'd a thought Rust could be beautiful! Great job on the replication of this van! The hinges came out amazing too! Great work! I'm watching and have been lookin' in from time to time. Can't wait to see more on this build. :)

Hi Foxer, I just discovered your Daughter van WIP project yesterday...all your steps are the same I have to follow for my project.

Link: Riot Van Project

I want to shear mine with you, but I'm a spanish speaker, so my blog is in this language, but the pictures can talk by itself.

Mine is a project to depict a local riot police van, used by my country police dept. to stop riots that people built to protest again the government.

I bookmarked your project to use it as a close reference. Thanks, Foxer.

Edited by Herag1

I checked (with translation) your page, Erasmo, and it was like doing this all over. We sure had some same steps and attacked them in different ways ... very interesting. Shaping brass to fit the side trim extension looked like a real job!

• 5 months later...

Foxer! Come back and work on your van! =)

ehhehe .. BUMP! Maybe that's what I needed. The body has been sitting right here in front of me waiting for the last of the BMF to get on with it. I have been working on the wheels but an overzealous paint application took a chunk out of the resin ... artists acrylic paint.. how did THAT happen? I just got some more 8 bolt rims from Ryan Silva, so maybe it'll start up again. I don't really understand how a water based paint can affect resin so .. and I half believe something else did it as it looks like a broken off piece. But it's a mystery to me. Here's a photo so you see what I'm talking about... it's all been stripped of paint.

broken rim  DSC0340

Also ... summer's over here for sure and time for me to hibernate .. in the basement workshop!

EDIT: I have to correct this and say I know the chip was the result of my grabbing the rim with some pliers! .. totally MY fault.

Edited by Foxer

• 2 weeks later...

I found a replacement seat for GMC vans that had dimensions, so I'm using the custom seats from the A-Team van and adding some width and shape. They will go to the body shop for some 2 part Bondo and maybe some V-Groove tuck and roll like on the side panels ... at least on passenger side. Driver's seat will need special patterned seat covers.

I started making a milk crate which shows in one of the shots of the 1:1 van. Some corner angles, plastic sheet and a grid I happened to have (see photo) should do it .. if I can get it all square! Some semi gloss black should give it a plastic look.

SeatandMilkcartonDSC_7252.jpg

Hi Foxer,

Something in this picture drove my attention, I wanted to know if its possible for you to help me. The Photoetched brass diamond mesh in the left corner of the picture...which made and product is...? I need similar mesh like this. MCG have one but the diamonds are smaller. I need double size diamond holes for my Van project, do you remember, thanks in advance Foxer.Have a nice day :) .

.. and I half believe something else did it as it looks like a broken off piece.

brokenrim_DSC0340.jpg

That honestly looks like someone has literally been chewing on it. Those look like teeth marks. Nevertheless, I hope to see you make progress soon because the van is looking great. Please keep it going.

Edited by Skydime

Hi Foxer, Something in this picture drove my attention, I wanted to know if its possible for you to help me. The Photoetched brass diamond mesh in the left corner of the picture...which made and product is...? I need similar mesh like this. MCG have one but the diamonds are smaller. I need double size diamond holes for my Van project, do you remember, thanks in advance Foxer.Have a nice day :) .

That is K&S 3/32 Diamond mesh Stock No. 02711. It's brass colored Photo Etch. I expect this should still be available.

It was nice weather this weekend, wasn't it?

Well, if winter is a rerun of last year, you'll have plenty of time to work on the van.

In between shoveling....

And breaking ice dams on the eaves...

And salting the driveway....

I'm not depressing you too much, am I?

My cousin, his girlfriend and I were talking earlier tonight, have the leaves started to turn out there yet? We're thinking of up and making a foliage run in the next week or two, and it's been a while since I've made it to the Berkshires.

Charlie Larkin

It was nice weather this weekend, wasn't it?

Well, if winter is a rerun of last year, you'll have plenty of time to work on the van.

In between shoveling....

And breaking ice dams on the eaves...

And salting the driveway....

I'm not depressing you too much, am I?

My cousin, his girlfriend and I were talking earlier tonight, have the leaves started to turn out there yet? We're thinking of up and making a foliage run in the next week or two, and it's been a while since I've made it to the Berkshires.

Charlie Larkin

hehehe .. you got THAT right, Charlie, but it's normal for all of us.

The color just popped this past weekend after looking drab .. this coming weekend would be perfect for some leaf peeping. Just in case, don't take route 2 as there's a stretch in Florida still washed out from the hurricane. That's gonna hurt the tourist traps waiting for the peepers. :(

Of course, you're always welcome to make a pit stop off route 8 in Lanesboro if you find yourself passing. :)

Noted, Mike. I don't know about this weekend (or, sadly, next,) but hopefully we can pull one of the two off.

I will, however, definitely let you know when I'm in the neighborhood.

I did see about Florida in the North Adams Transcript when I decided to do a quick apartment/job search in the area. Hopefully that'll be done before the snow flies or Monroe is going to get all but cut off.

Charlie Larkin

• 1 month later...

So that's why you purchased a set a while back! The weather in mass has been really weird, more so here on the eastern coast, not a hint of snow yet. Look forward to the progress when you get back to building. BTW, how much smaller were my wheels than the tires?

First off, I figured out the notch out of the rim was due to some handling I did with some pliers .. totally my fault.

As for the tire ID, I believe the tires were cast with a slightly larger ID than the masters they were taken from. The inside surfaces are rough and some look like they had flash cut off. I wrapped a strip of .02" plastic around the rim super gluing as it went.. So it was all in the tire, nothing to do with your rims. :)

• 3 months later...

FOXER, GET BACK TO WORK!! =D

Oh no ..I'm caught! I have been sitting on this and my daughter has been saying exactly the same to me. I actually took a shot last Saturday and it didn't go well. What's holding me is finishing off the BMF on the windows .. my fingers aren't cooperating as they used to. I have to force myself again this week to take 10 deep breaths and go at it slowly. I know this is NOT beyond me yet. :)

I am thinking once I get past this and going full hog on it I should start a new thread since this has been dead for so long. I would put a link here at the start but it will not be a hassle to new people t the build unless they want to go back.

I DO appreciate the push, Roland! :)

• 2 months later...

OK! Here we go again ... with the Mouse Rod finished as the first under glass in a LONG while, I got stoked and got back to this! The window trim BMF stopped me and now it's all done today! :) So, no stopping me now! :lol:

window trim DSC 0762

I almost started a new thread but couldn't split it up, so, sorry for you first timers here that had to wade through the first 17 pages.

After the BMF I noticed that one of the door hinges was gone and a piece of the hinge was .. UNGLUED! So back to the hinges . groan You can see the white spot on the left upper hinge in the photo.

hinge DSC 0761

I promise this one is back in gear and will be plenty of updates as it moves!

Edited by Foxer