Model Cars Magazine Forum

85 GMC Van 8/9/17 Fixed for Fotki

Love the work so far. It looks so realistic. I am building a van too and you gave me a very good idea for doing door hinges.

STewart

Thanks for the encouraging comments, everyone. :)

Stewart, I saw your van and it's looking interesting. You have non-sliding side doors too I see. Nice. :D

Thanks foxer. The only thing is, I am not using them. I am in the painful process of trying to fill them in enough so they don't ghost. B)

Is it the filed down sliding tracks that wants to ghost or are you filling the door lines?

Edit: Oops.. I went to thread with your van and answered my own question. I had same troubles with the filled in sunroof. O got lazy and used one part body filler and paid the price. It took half a dozen putty coatings and some good coatings of sandable primer. I'm still worried the lines will show up at a later date.

Edited by Foxer

I'm trying to get something halfway presentable for the Display Only table at MassCar this weekend but still playing with options. Here's a trial hubcap made from an aluminum press together button that was filed thinner and a plastic disk and decals added. I just sprayed some aluminum paint on for uniform color. This may be close enough.

I'm just not sure I want to cover up Ryan's gorgeous 8-lug wheels (not in the photo .. still waiting for them)! Maybe the story is that soon after the photos I have were taken some Massachusetts potholes popped the caps off. ;)

hubcap DSC 8276

hubcap DSC 8278

Edited by Foxer

Back door decals look great, but do we have a pics of the 1:1 back doors to check your placement

of the stickers?? :rolleyes:

OMG! I looked back and there's no real photo of the rear. So, here ... :)

rear P6291588

bah ... the doors are on the previous page .. better add them there.

Edited by Foxer

Hello there Mike! Wow youve certainly nailed this project as a replica!! Looks awesome all the way to this point and the look of the hub caps are pretty good as well. I was going to mention the lids off of convient store coffe cups (the round bumbs) but looks like you're all good now!!

Keep on with the keepin on!!

Everything's ready to hit the road to MassCar. I just got Ryan Silva's 8 lug wheels Yesterday so it was a mad rush to get mounted. There was a problem fitting to the tires I had so only the rear's are barely attached. This is a shot of the rims with no clean up. The minimal flash came off just from handling. These are beautiful wheels!

8-Lug Ryan Silva DSC 8311

Here's the mock up as it will appear at MassCar tomorrow.

4 MassCar DSC 8321

4 MassCar DSC 8326

4 MassCar DSC 8327

Edited by Foxer

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on a little van vacation since the rush to MassCar but it's been sitting here on the scanner staring at me all along so I need to get back on it. Tomorrow it's 70 degrees here in the mountains and the lakes are still fully covered in ice! ... it will be tough. Below is just the van sitting here taunting me ...

van sitting DSC 8522

The tires I had were found to have too large an ID for Ryan's 8 lug rims so I'm gonna pressure him into getting his masters done for the Bridgestones he showed with them. Ryan will happier than I when this van is finished! :lol: I tried adding a strip around the rim but it was still small and any larger and it would show.

rim DSC 8523

Edited by Foxer