Model Cars Magazine Forum

85 GMC Van 8/9/17 Fixed for Fotki

Just a small photo group as I wait for glue to dry. The suspension is all jacked up and the spring welds are drying.

spindles DSC 8062

The front spindles had to be extended so I drilled through the extension into the old spindle. The pin will go through the splice and act as the top pin for the spindle.

I've been forming the rear speakers that are mounted in the rear posts and glued them in this morning.

speakers DSC 8064

Edited by Foxer

Just finished reading the thread to this point. Very nice work. Hope to see it in Tauton in March.

Oh no .. MassCar is in March? I was hoping I'd have this done by then, but I don't know. At least it might be close enough to put on the primer table. It's all just coming down to rims now. I might have to make some 8 lug ones as I think Ryan Silva must have something in his way to finishing his resin ones since I haven't heard from him.

Anyway, I'm really hoping to make MassCar this year and hopefully meet all the New Englanders here. :)

After the new shackles were drilled and a small pin attached with slow curing superglue across the joint they are sitting until tomorrow for final shaping.

Shackels DSC 8068

It seems that the 8 lug rims I was hoping for from Ryan Silva are having some delays as I haven't heard back from Ryan. Hopefully everything is ok with him and just real life stuff getting in the way. So, I figure I have to make some 8 lugs to at least stand in. I had some extra 6 lug wheels from the Revell '41 Chevy Pickup that fit the tiers well. They aren't as accurate as Ryan's but will do. I took the cast lugs off with a micro chisel and made a sander from an old paintbrush and punched sandpaper. I got some of Ma's Resin bold and nut castings with the tires to use. The rims in the photo are sitting on the 3/4" nuts that will be used. Now if I only can get the 8 holes for the lug nuts drilled evenly in the rim. I made an accurate bolt circle with hole locations in 3D Studio and hopefully when printed and glued to the rim will give me an accurate template. At least I only need two as the front tires will be getting some small hubcaps that will be made.

rims DSC 8070

Edited by Foxer

The 8 lug hubs have been taunting my eyes and also I've been trying different things to make the base hubcaps. Currently it's a thumbtack and a small punched disk of plastic that I spun in my Dremel to shape the edges .. now drying. Sorry no photos yet on those.

I applied some Kosutte Gin San to the mirrors and antenna that had been sprayed with Metalizer Aluminum Plate. I Polished the aluminum before applying but I think it was still somewhat rough. I had sanded and buffed the mirrors quite a bit. Anyway, they aren't as shiny as I had hoped but these are not brand new chromed pieces so it will work. I think that was the cellar tungsten light bulb adding that yellowish color.

antenna DSC 8121

Edited by Foxer

Mike-

The van is is lookin' great! You have some great ideas here. Like printing out the lug pattern before attempting to drill. It's the small stuff like that one that make a difference.

Thanks, Jon. I'm too much an engineer to just start drilling holes! :)

I wasn't going to post this photo, but I've gone this far, so no turning back on anything I try! B) It does have potential if I can get the decals printing this small. Just a thumbtack with a 1/4" punched disk with the edge turned while chucked in the Dremel. It needs to be done more even ... maybe with the Dremel taped down and something to rest the file against as I apply the file to the disk. I just used some colored pencils to draw on it and didn't worry too much how sloppy it was. Just for effect.

Looking at the real one now, I had reduced the size but now I see it could be larger. Will have to find a larger tack or something else.

hubcap DSC 8127

hubcal2 DSC 8128

Any comments, good OR bad, are welcome. :)

Edited by Foxer

Mike, I'll be looking forward to seeing this in Taunton, done or not. This is absolutely fantastic, and it'll be a major hit.

Charlie Larkin

This year I AM going to make MassCar. Made hotel reservations today and even my wife wants to go! So now I have to figure what I can do to make the van presentable for the Display Only table. Maybe time to get back to the decals for the back and do the BMF. Would be good if I can get it up on wheels but I'm still not sure which rims I'm going to end up using.

I've been getting the decals ready in Photoshop, so there's no plastic updates. I did add a couple coats of gloss clear to the body and the paint looks much improved over the semi-gloss clear. The decals will go on better also. I'll be dulling it all after the body is all dressed in decals, BMF and black trim.

This is the decal sheet in full size. I may reduce it for here once I see how it displays.

Decals Van Master small  P6291585

I tried a test decal on some black paint and the white decal paper is working good. Many of the stickers that will go on the back doors are READABLE ... at least under a magnifying glass. :angry:

Edited by Foxer

Thanks guys ... it's what vans were made for ... entertainment! B)

Meanwhile, I've been getting BMF on the window frames .. arrrggggg ..it's been a long time since I've done this and the old hands don't like it! ehhehe

I love the progress mike!

Here is the progress on the wheels. there about done, its a tad "off" center bit a little scrapping with the knife and circular reamer, it should even out. They fit the satco bridgestones, so you will be A-OK there.(the wheel outer edge looks a little jagged, it isnt the wheel, but the tire, i pushed it in to far in the photo) :blink:

P3012946-vi.jpg

It's looking fantastic, Ryan! I have some tires from Ma's Resin that have a 17" ID so I'm probably going to have to finesse something to make them look right. I expect yours are smaller.. and correct!. I'll have to check those Satco's and see how they size up for the van. The tires on the van are large, but the rims are still the 16.5.

Those are just plain beautiful. I'm hoping you'll get time to cast a set before MassCar and I'll find your booth. No pressure ... :lol: ... I'll find you no matter what. :)

I wont make it to masscar as a vendor due to the date change, I might make it as a spectator though!

My wheels measure out at 16.20mm at the face, and 16.05mm behind the flange, only because these are based off car wheels and not truck wheels. I know the old dodge had some 8 lug wheels that looked really goofy, to large and deep for the stock crowd, so i guess no matter what there are gonna be compromises.

Do you have a close up of the front dustcap on these trucks?