Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 907/8 L by Union Models

Misha

Kit Review of Union's 1/24 Porsche 907/8

Joining the Endurance Racing Community Build, I have chosen the Porsche 907 chassis #005, that won the 1968 Daytona 24 Hour, with two other 907s placing second and third. It marked Porsche's first endurance race win. I believe that the kit dates from the 80s, and was part of the Japanese line of Union kits that also had a Ferrari 512 S, Porsche 917 K and repops of certain IMC kits from the 60s. I believe that this kit made its way into my stash from those early days, buying from the LHS.

For its age, this kit displays very fine body detail with thin moldings especially the transparencies which feature fine open louvres on the sides and the unique top with its slots. The major downfall of the kit is the lack of detail and basic inaccuracies with the eight cylinder pancake engine and in the rear engine bay. This is especially unfortunate considering the huge expanse of glass in the rear deck.

The body is split into three parts, belly pan with the front and rear parts separated at the engine fire wall. The mold lines are minimal with fine detail displaying scale rivets along the underside and textured inside detail. There are a number of injection pin marks, yet most if not all will be hidden from view. The fit appears to be good, so far.

The engine is a real disappointment, especially after checking all the great detail photos available on the web. It will require a fair amount of scratch building of details that will extend into the very sparse engine compartment. There is the basic tube structure included, yet there are obvious omissions such as filler caps on the body that lead nowhere, venturi stacks in the back that appear to be under scale and also lead nowhere.

The suspension is very basic, both front and rear, and will be mainly hidden by the body work. There are brake rotors, yet no callipers. The front displays posable steering with its accompanying clunky set up. It ought to be easy to add callipers, with brake lines and paint detail that will add to the realism visible under the Porsche. The tires offer decent tread detail with no lettering on the sidewalls. The wheels are in bare plastic (there is no chrome sprue, thankfully as it eliminates a step in prepping for Alclad.)

The decals provide for two vehicles, thankfully including the #54 version I'll be building. Because of the age of the decals, I'll photocopy the sheet first, and spray the sheet with the decal solution to prevent breakup of the transfers.

That about wraps up my comments, please add your comments on this kit and any difficulties one may encounter, plus photos of completed builds.

Cheers Misha

post-2074-0-38928400-1403662801_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-90495500-1403662816_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-17821200-1403662835_thumb.jp

Hi Misha. The original kit was by Heller of France. I built the kit back in the late 70's but sold it along with my entire collection in 2001. My friend kindly gave the build up back to me and is waiting for a complete restoration:

IMG_1392_zps80979b1c.jpg

The model is tiny and it's hard to believe that it's in 1/24th scale. You will definitely have to scratchbuild a lot of the missing details. The same goes with the 917's in the series.

That does look small. Here are the car's dimensions I found on the internet

length x width x height: 4650 mm x 1720 mm x 940 mm, wheelbase: 2300 mm

In 1/24 scale it should be:

194 mm x 72 mm x 39 mm, wheelbase: 96 mm

Do these dimensions check out on the kit?

Edited by afx

Well, got the rule, dividers, paper and pen and here are the results...

It does appear to be somewhat undersized; overall length is 179 mm (as opposed to 194), width is 64 mm (72 mm), yet the overall height 41mm (39 mm) and wheelbase 95 mm (96 mm) are very close, maybe the tires are overinflated on mine. The difference in length of 15 mm and 8 mm seems to be significant, although it would still remain a small vehicle. The overall proportions appear correct when compared to photos.

Thanks JC for doing the calculations and interest.

Cheers Misha

post-2074-0-10888100-1403925638_thumb.jp

Well, got the rule, dividers, paper and pen and here are the results...

It does appear to be somewhat undersized; overall length is 179 mm (as opposed to 194), width is 64 mm (72 mm), yet the overall height 41mm (39 mm) and wheelbase 95 mm (96 mm) are very close, maybe the tires are overinflated on mine. The difference in length of 15 mm and 8 mm seems to be significant, although it would still remain a small vehicle. The overall proportions appear correct when compared to photos.

Thanks JC for doing the calculations and interest.

Cheers Misha

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That works out to approximately 1/26 scale.

The Porsche 907/8 and the Ferrari 330 P4 were also issued by AMT(?) in a double kit. I remember that the decals were non factory markings; perhaps depicting cars that were raced at Daytona. Unfortunately, I was stupid enough to trade the un-built kit decades ago. I think there were other double kits (namely the 917 & 512) in the series as well.

I have been up next to the 1/1 cars several times. What always struck me was how small they were. The 917s were small cars, too. Also note that the bodywork was changed on these cars as Porsche developed the aerodynamics and tailored the cars for different circuits, etc.

PB

The Porsche 907/8 and the Ferrari 330 P4 were also issued by AMT(?) in a double kit. I remember that the decals were non factory markings; perhaps depicting cars that were raced at Daytona. Unfortunately, I was stupid enough to trade the un-built kit decades ago. I think there were other double kits (namely the 917 & 512) in the series as well.

I recall the two AMT Heller based Combo sets, the Ferrari 330/P4and Porsche 907, and the Renault Alpine R8 and Gordini A210. I do not recall either of the Heller 917 kits ever being in an AMT combo kit.

Thanks again...TIM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for solving the kit's origins. I took a closer look with these ole eyes and spotted, emblazoned on the interior of the belly the Heller brand logo! Brought to mind building my fair share of Heller 1/72 aircraft, often obscure French types with gorgeous camo schemes. They offered next to no interior detail, yet displayed delicate fuselage surface detail and good fit, always a bonus. Their replica of the Porsche 907/8 follows much in the same tradition. I've recently posted an update in the Endurance Racers Community Build thread, please have a look.

I pulled out an old Heller build out of the cabinet, a Bloch 152 in 1/72. It has a scatchbuilt interior, vacu formed canopies, gunsight: all before photo etch, just basic modelling skills, plus imagination.

post-2074-0-74477000-1404689765_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-98801800-1404689781_thumb.jp