Model Cars Magazine Forum

ever read a book called "Death Traps"? written by a US Army Ordnance Colonel about his experiences working a tank recovery and repair unit during the period between D-Day and V-E day.... excellent book with lots of descriptive narrative and some informative photos for reference. Not USMC Shermans but good reading nonetheless.

I haven't read that one Curt but it sounds like a winner. I was just outside Kenosha Wisc. last fall and visited a military boneyard/museum this guy has there. He had placed a Sherman turret on a stout cradle at the right height above ground. You step up onto a platform and duck under putting yourself inside the turret. The turret is empty, no gun, no nuttin', but even so it is amazing how freakin' small it is. I'm a rather, ahem, "large framed" individual and my Brother in Law is 6'4. We stood side by side inside that turret and felt way claustrophibic.

"Death Traps" indeed. The guys who crewed these beasts, from all sides of the conflict, were some of the bravest mofo's ever.

G

Jim on the real tank they welded 17 penny nails to the hatches as protection from satchel charges. Some battalions used wire mesh screens, some didn't bother at all. The 5th Tank Battalion used nails.

I used 28 ga. wire. I drilled abunch of holes in the hatches and inserted loops of wire two holes at a time. Then I slathered super glue over the inside and hit it with kicker. THEN I used a nipper to cut them all to about the same length. I was darn near bugeyed after that, but I felt it was worth it.

G

Awesome Shermans G! I hear ya about the shiny stuff. Did it for over 20 years, competed for a while and found myself just building for the trophies. It didn't take long to get tired of that so I started building armour. I built when I was young but it got too expensive. I just started back into cars again after about a 6 year lapse. Now I have to learn all over again. But I figure that's 1/2 the fun.

• 2 weeks later...