Model Cars Magazine Forum

'74 El Camino - Finished ! 8-26-14

Impressive chassis detailing Bob, no way I could do those brake lines. Your good ...

Thanks Carl !

I've been trying to do brake lines for a long time and see plenty of them that are much better than mine .

This past week I fit the interior pieces from the Revell '77 Monte Carlo to my El Camino . The parts themselves aren't very impressive but they're all that I could find that looked right .

After trying a couple different windshields I ended up making my own out of some clear sheet from my Vac-U-Form , it's .017" thick and very flexible .

The fit is great and there should be no interference problems when it's time for final assembly .

Here's the finished interior . The floor will be part of the chassis , and the rest will be installed inside the painted body .

I'll make some seat/shoulder belts and some floor mats before it's all finished .

Edited by TooOld

On 7/6/2014 at 9:17 PM, slusher said:

Great looking interior Bob, love it...

Thank you Carl !

Spending only an hour here and there makes progress very slow . . . in two weeks I've only managed to finish the engine and transmission !

There's still a few small parts to finish but I'm about ready to get the body ready for paint . Unlike most people , painting the body is always the very last thing I do , but I will fit everything together one more time to make sure there are no surprises after paint ! :D

Edited by TooOld

Okay , the chassis is done ! A couple of problems installing the engine but it finally went together .

I'm going to get back to work on the bumpers this weekend and see how the body looks sitting on the chassis !

Here's some photos . . . Thanks for looking ! :)

Edited by TooOld

On 7/25/2014 at 1:05 AM, Robberbaron said:

Haven't been able to check in for a while - love how the chassis & interior turned out. Looking forward to seeing your next progress pics.

Thanks Robert !

I've been working on the bumpers . The front was fairly easy , I just added the parking lamps from the Cutlass to the stock car bumper .

The rear required a lot more work starting with adding the taillights from a resin '68 Impala bumper , then lots of filling and sanding .

Here they are after more sanding and a couple of coats of primer . I still need to add the bumper bolts to the rear .

Edited by TooOld

Those bumpers look spot on... Man, you are killing it! I can't wait to see this put together... I probably missed it somewhere, but are you gonna do one color or two tone ?

Thanks James !

Going with one color on this one , my next one will be a white / blue El Camino Classic .

Can I ask where you found the spec sheet (post #1)?

All of the diagrams are from the Classic Motorbooks " Photofacts - Chevrolet El Camino 1959 - 1982 " .

It's an older book but has some really good info in it .

KILLER WORK !!!!! your work on this is INCREDIBLE... I've been following along the whole time keep up the great work...

Thank you very much Tyrone !

Stay tuned for a " Sneak Peek " at the finished build ( minus paint ) ! :)