Model Cars Magazine Forum

The one Dr. Cranky suggested is a nice one to have, I've been wanting to add it to my motortool lineup for a while now, but I have to say the best one I have found so far for modeling is the Dremel Minimite Cordless.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dremel-7300-N-5-4.8V-MiniMite-Cordless-Rotary-Tool/15173820

According to the specs, this one has a low speed of 6,500 rpm and a high of 13,000 rpm, but the older model I have has a low speed of 5,000 and high speed of 10,000. Regardless if they changed the speed or not, the low speed is perfect for cutting plastic without melting it but the high speed still gives you enough power for tougher cutting jobs. I also use this one quite a bit, the Black and Decker RTX.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Decker-3-Speed-RTX-Rotary-Tool-Model-RTX-B/9714694

Also according to the specs on this, my older model is different because mine is a 6 speed model with a range of 8,000-30,000 rpm and the one in the link says it has 3 speeds with a 12,000-30,000 rpm range.

Regardless of what you finally choose to go with, the biggest thing to watch is the low speed rpm, and I would suggest not getting anything with a low speed higher than 8,000 rpm. Anything above 8,000 rpm is going to burn through plastic, and even at the 8,000 rpm setting of my older RTX, if I have a little too heavy of a touch when cutting, it starts melting istead of cutting cleanly.

THANKS GUYS I WAS LOOKING AT THE PISTOL GRIP ONE

Get the pistol-grip Dremel Stylus. I recently had to replace my useless MiniMite and chose to go with the Stylus on the recommendation of Virgil "Dr. Cranky" Suarez and Bob "Zoom Zoom" Downie. It is a fantastic tool. I've only had it about for about two weeks now but I keep finding things to do with it. The Stylus is, without hyperbole, about sixty-two billion times better than the MiniMite.

I just bought a new Dremel, Model 4000 I think. It was the most exspensive Wal-Mart had, I think about $70.

Then, I bought the flexible extension ($30) which has a nice small handle. Not used it yet but I think it is going to work nice.

I know this set up and the stainless steel wire brush is great for cleaning up the spokes on my Harley.

Then, I bought the flexible extension ($30) which has a nice small handle. Not used it yet but I think it is going to work nice.

Not intending to thread hijack but...when you've tried that extension can you let me know here if you like it? I been thinking of buying one but have no idea how well they work. I'd really appreciate a thumbs up/down on that little piece of hardware.

I can't really advise you on the new Dremel, as both of mine are over 30 years old, I have a small Dremel 5000rpm to 12000 rpm, and a large heavy duty dremel that is 5000 rpm to 15000 rpm. I all the time I have owned them, and with the huge amout of use I have given them I have only had to replace the brushes twice, and I had to have the Barings replaced on the small one in the late 80s. I have also bought probably over a couple thousad cutting disc, I do a lot of metal work( building 1/24 slot car chassis, etc.). So which ever Dremel you buy you can count on it being a top quality tool, and one of the most useful tools there is.

CHEERS!

Tom

I have played with my new Dremel and extension a bit. The handle on the extension is small and palm size. Hope I can explain this correctly: the extension is just a bit awkward due to the stiffness of the extension. I can't say if it is better than a real small Dremel type tool, but it is easier than a regular Dremel. I realy like it. Like anything else, it is good for some things, maybe not for others. I think it is well worth the $30 though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've owned the xpr400, 300, cordless and bought the 4000 last year. Also have the wand and the workhorse drill press that works with everyone of the dremels! That works awesome for anyone that wants to drill holes w/o using a professional one. Also have the multimax, and possibly the new saw type version they just came out with.

There's not one dremel I wouldn't not use. That's why I have 3 in my shop at all time in different workstations so when ya need one, its in hands reach.