Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thoughts on this

Just picked this kit up , the Revell Pete 359 conventional cab " historic series " I had not seen this before , does anyone know if it is a reissue or new tool ? I seem to recall a pete tractor in the kit with a car hauler trailer . Altho upon opening it it seems almost " snap " quality , oversize mounting pins , tires " trapped " inner & outer by rim / backing kit # 85 - 1506 ? Insight ?

A Kenworth W900 is is also offered in the Historic Series. These kits offer a good value for the price. I've built two Petes and I'm close to completion on my second KW.

The only drawback are the tires...they can be difficult to get a "realistic look". For my current KW build I used the Moebius tire and wheel kit #1010...problem solved!

Yes, it's the old snap kit. Revell has a few kits out with the "historic series" logo. I believe the recently re-issued Can Do wrecker has this as well.

The Can Do isn't based off the Revell snap kit. If the kit is the small bunk 359, that is the old Revell snap kit, but the large bunk 359 that Can Do and the new reissue is based from, as well as the one that included the car hauler, and has also been reissued as just the tractor, is a Revell of Germany kit. If the kit in question has a large bunk, TV in the bunk, a Cummins engine under the hood, and opening doors, that is the Revell of Germany kit reissued in a regular Revell USA box, not the old snap kit.

The old Monogram Snap Kit Peterbilt 359 and Kenworth W900 recently re-issued by Revell has a Caterpillar 3406 inline 6 engine and the Revell Germany Peterbilt 359 has a Cummins NTC 475 inline 6 and the Revell Germany Kenworth W900 V.I.T. has a Caterpillar 3408 V8.

Revell Germany also had a Kenworth K100 and it has the same NTC 475 as the Peterbilt has.

The biggest drawback with the old snap kits is the wheels as Dennis says, and the missing outside sun visors.

Edited by Force

In my opinion, only 75% of this kit is usable. The rear suspension and axles need to be junked as well as the wheels. A styrene strip needs to be added to the whole length of the bottom of the frame to actually make it C channel. The kit is worth buying for the engine and the body.If you have extra axles & susp in your junkbox, a little kit bashing can make this a decent truck.

I've got 12 or so of this kit , knew it was a snap kit when I bought it, but just realized that nowhere on the box does it say "snap kit". Like Terry said, I use some just for parts, haven't had a lot of trouble with the tires so far. Mine are all shelf models, built for fun, so the suspension doesn't really concern me.

I used Tamiya TS-39 mica red over TS-17 gloss aluminum. TS-39 on the frame with Model Master 1960 clear flat lacquer. The end of the frame rails were trimmed down and a stainless visor was added.

005_zps464333cf.jpg

004_zpse37bf4c7.jpg

I got a few off ebay and theres s guy on ebay that does custom parts by request, heres his email rhino9904@yahoo.com, tell him clayton gave you his info

He does real nice stacks, newer pete mirrors, visors bumpers long frame rails, his work is top notch, i really like his work. His stacks are on my bad little 359, in the under glass section

Yes it does...I just checked.

For some reason Revell has labeled the newly reissued "Will Do" Wrecker with the Historic Series logo...I didn't think the the original "Can Do" kit was that old, but it came out 1993...so it's 21 years ago.

Edited by Force

You misunderstood me. I was saying that the recently re-issued can do wrecker had the historic series logo on the box as well. I know it isn't the snap kit.

Yes it does...I just checked.

For some reason Revell has labeled the newly reissued "Will Do" Wrecker with the Historic Series logo...I didn't think the the original "Can Do" kit was that old, but it came out 1993...so it's 21 years ago.

I didn't know it had the "Historic Series" markings either.

Also Force, you are right on the original offering of the Can Do being in the early to mid 90s (and 93 sounds about right), but it was also reissued once before in the early 2000s, somewhere around 2001 or 02. I had both issues at one time, I lost the original in a house fire in 1997, and still have the reissue from the early 2000s. Ironically, I bought it while I was working driving heavy wreckers! :lol:

Just a side note on the name of the newest reissue, Stepp's also had a wrecker that was "Can Do's" little brother called "Will Do".

• 2 weeks later...