Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 BMW i8 kit completely 3d printed

I like that, for the last week i have been scratcbuilding NY Traffic lights for a street corner diorama, i did them quick, from bits of plastic and piping and didnt go down the route using a ruler etc, i only wanted one, and to be quick. Im not making a walk/dont walk box for the metal pole, and it got me thinking, if i was to make some in 1/24th scale, correct dimensions etc, and be able to run some off. Trouble is, from what i looked at, the printers at say £2000/$2500?? pounds for the home user, cant do that type of qulaity i need. I sidewalk hydrants, metal round sheet covers, metal grates etc etc. never made anything in resin before, its all new to me.

As others said, look how much computers were in the 80's, even the 90's and now so cheap and a 1000 times better.

I think ink price is only expensive, as they all stick together and it could be done many times cheaper.

I think one day we'll see 3D printing as a regular thing in our hobby. I can't wait until that day, but I venture a guess its still 15 years out. When someone can print kits and sell them for 30 - 04 bucks a piece that's when it will take off.

That is one wild looking car though. I kinda like it.

• 1 month later...

Now , it is high dollar for one of these . Time will drive the costs down . The whole process and initial costs will drop .

The Printer Ink people are perpetrating what used to be called "Price Fixing" IMHO . IMHO the Persons in power let them get away with this Legal Gouging have no Conscience or Morals .. Yet , we flock like Lemmings and these people laugh at us like Emron Employees .

This is a wowser for sure . It is just beyond my Financial Limits . Thanx ..

I have spent close to 200.00 for a Resin 83 Dodge Mirada kit that I wanted and it wasn't as nice of looking casting as this printed model... I would spend the 300.00 for a model that I was interested in... This just isn't that model but it is pretty cool...

• 2 weeks later...

This technology raises some interesting questions. Will the major producers switch over to 3d printing to produce their kits ?

If the technology becomes affordable enough for everyone to be able own a 3d printer, will there even be a modelling industry left ?

The last and most important question relates to whether the skill level of modellers will drop if they are designing and creating their models using these printers and not the old fashioned way, with tools and their bare hands ?

So many questions so few answers !

I think this is very cool technology and have been following it since the '90s. It's come a real long way in 20+ years; the quality/resolution vastly improved, a much broader range of material is available, etc. In fact, we're using it at my business to print architectural models. I don't see much promise in the near future of use of this method for mass production of kits, however, in as that it still takes a good amount of time (hours) to print one model (one of the reasons for the high cost), and of course cost of materials and maintenance of the equipment that can't match the economy of scale and efficiency enjoyed by a full-blown injection molding operation. As mentioned though, 3-D printing is very useful for generating detailed and well-developed prototypes - we always referred to this process as "rapid prototyping" in the first place. I believe Model Factory Hiro has been using this process to create masters for components in their kits for some time now.

That being said, I would imagine that more affordable, accessable and user-friendly 3-D printing should spawn a healthy market for...models. Electronic models that the consumer could purchase on-line, download and forward to a service bureau that offers 3-D printing (which is becoming fairly common now). There are restraints and tolerances that the e-modeler needs to be aware of, and good knowledge of traditional model assembly would have to play in to this as well. But just think of it - you could offer models of varying complexity/simplicity with accessories that the modeler would have the choice of printing, or not printing, etc. Need to satisfy a craving for an obscure subject? Possibilities...

Ugly car but for something unique that I was after I might be willing to out lay the $300. Why can't a 3D print be made then molds taken from it & it be cast in resin, then the resin kits sold, would that not off set the cost of the prototype been printed?

Ugly car but for something unique that I was after I might be willing to out lay the $300. Why can't a 3D print be made then molds taken from it & it be cast in resin, then the resin kits sold, would that not off set the cost of the prototype been printed?

this is the resin kit.