Model Cars Magazine Forum

Portable Paintbooth ?

I was wondering if anyone here has used this or a similar paintbooth? I lose so much modeling time over the winter (when I should be at the bench) due to not being able to paint. I am thinking of purchasing one of these units and wondered about pros-cons? or even worthwhile? opinions welcomed!.................................Mark

post-9862-0-95931700-1425849804.jpg

Mark, I bought an artograph 1530 booth when I got back into building, as I too was wondering how I was going to paint thru the winter.

granted, it is a wee bit expensive, but, it is mostly metal, fits rig trailer sides in it, and is triple filtered. I absolutely love it, and would be lost without it. I paint all year 'round indoors, and if you keep the filters clean, it really knocks the smell down, so much so, I don't even vent it outside. again, a bit expensive, but in the long run a great investment in my opinion.

I was wondering if anyone here has used this or a similar paintbooth? I lose so much modeling time over the winter (when I should be at the bench) due to not being able to paint. I am thinking of purchasing one of these units and wondered about pros-cons? or even worthwhile? opinions welcomed!.................................Mark

Mark, my wife bought me this booth for Christmas with the LED's and it is fabulous! Does everything I need it to do in order to paint during the winter. The only caveat is that I only use acrylics though. I have sprayed lacquer primer with it, but not very much. Depending on how much you paint, you will replace the filters often, but they are really cheap. I lined my with cardboard and covered the LED's with clear tape for easy cleanup after 10-15 paint jobs. I have had no issues whatsoever, so if you want to use acrylics exclusively, this will work perfect.

Tim

• 2 months later...

I just saw this product on amazon and am considering it:

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Airbrush-Exhaust-Extension-Extends/dp/B00B2TESUQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Does anybody have anymore feedback/experience to speak of for this item? I mainly use Tamiya spray cans and I'm wondering if the can might produce too much overspray.

Edited by av405

I've been using one for a few years now, for Car bodies I mainly use lacquer paints, details are usually done using Tamiya acrylics, this booth has handled everything I put through it, I usually replace the filter every 12 months, in between jobs I take the filters out and give them a good vacuuming, before I used it for the first time I lined it using blue masking tape and grease proof paper, and then put a few sheets of newspaper on the base

SprayboothLined.jpg

Boy, everyone just seems to be over the moon about this booth... Personally, it's significantly underpowered, and because it's all plastic, the maker does not recommend its use with lacquers, or any other paint that could melt plastic. I used it with lacquers and had no more problems than with acrylics, except perhaps that the paint seemed to just fuse to the plastic and became a horrible looking mess in very short order. Mine also had a retractable cord, but that wound up breaking quite early on, as well.

I had a Badger booth, and was very happy with it, but got interested in the plastic one because it was "portable". I really hated having to collapse those plastic panels to close up the unit, especially when it had become caked with paint. When it was time to start considering a replacement for the Badger after many years of use, I decided on an Artograph 1520, and I've been very happy with it. Compared to the plastic portable... well, it's like comparing a hoover electric to a battery-powered vacuum cleaner. I'm proud to say that my new Artograph "Really sucks!"

BTW, if you're going to vent this thing, you're NOT going to have it pointing at your face! :rolleyes:

Edited by fseva

Well, mine came in today. I couldn't resist taking it out of the box at work and checking it out. It's weird - unfolded it's bigger than I thought it'd be, folded it's smaller than I thought it'd be... That's a standard US-type box beside it and a 1/24th Mustang in it.

This thing ought to be perfect for me, I split up with the wife last fall and moved into a studio apt and don't really have a lot of space. (and if I even intend on getting some you-know-what anytime ever again I need to be able hide away the model stuff... B) .) If you have a dedicated workspace a bigger more permanent booth might be better, but this one is about what I was expecting for the price (under $100).

booth1-vi.jpg

booth2-vi.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! I assume you use an airbrush? From what I've been reading and understanding, it looks like this might not be well-suited for Tamiya/any type of spray cans.

Well, I got it home and tried it out with some Tamiya Spray Primer in the can and it did ok. Not that much smell ( I could smell the cat's fresh $%}£%# in the nearby litter box stronger than I could smell the paint. I left it to set for a few minutes and turned it off and then I could really smell the paint so I think it does ok if you leave it running while the paint gasses out.

I bought this spray booth about 6 months ago. I only spray lacquer and have no problems.

Yea, it's a little flimsy, but I duct taped all the corners. (I dont move it anywhere), That helped a lot.

I also cover the interior with paper, which I change regularly. Change the filter and this is a great set up

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of these from Amazon. The unit is exactly as you have pictured. It works perfect for normal sized kits. I line the bottom of mine with "pig mat" to catch any solvents or paint drips. The sides are covered with Glad press and seal plastic wrap. This allows me to keep the dust down to a minimum. The unit is easy to take a part and clean as well. Everything unscrews and the fan is a brushless fan so it doesn't risk fire. If you get this you'll enjoy it. My large homemade booth is still used in the garage and is used primarily for battleship painting so this is a dream as far as a compact size. Check out TCP Global. You can find all kinds of airbrush material there. Amazon got this for me through their company

Edited by HGLOVAL