Model Cars Magazine Forum

General Lee Paint

I do wanna build up a General Lee. I want to use the MPC re-issue for the decals and other Gen Lee specific parts and of course, the cool box art! The car I do wanna use will be a R-M '68 Charger R/T. What shade of the orange/red combo was used? Its not totally orange and been told its has had red mixed in. Finally, what interior color was the car and what shade could be used?Also, did W-B not have any rights to have the name and emblems of the cars becuase I notice the emblem on the trunk, back light and the head cover, they're nothing. I've noticed even on Uncle Jeses's pick up the tailgate letteres were smudged out.

Edited by JMD904

You're gonna get plenty of responses on this. First off...you're gonna need a '69 taillight pannel as '68 & '69 are completely different. Are you going to mix a custom color or use a rattle can? Rattle cans would limit your color choice. If using a rattle can, I'd use Testor's Hemi Orange Laquer. As far as the interior, you'd have to find some tan color for the best match and I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions on that too. Different shades and paint companies too. Just check out different General Lee builds...I'm sure those guys could help you out with paint and parts you'll need to finish your model.

Guest Dr. Odyssey

I read somewhere the official color is Generally Orange. Go Mango by Testors looks good to me. The interior is buckskin biege. I like U.S.A. aricraft tan.

Some say it was GM Corvette Red code 70. Others say it's grabber orange or Big Bad orange. I did see a R-M '69 Charger R/T which is a perfect match. I read that the W-B car team used a few '68's by swapping out the tail light and back panel.I also read a mix of 318's and 383's were used. Keeping the 440 in it.

There is not one correct color for the general lee, they used many different shades off orange and the red, one of things to was they would just paint over the color of the car with out using any primer, so that also is going to affect the out come of the shade too.

There is not right way or wrong way to build a GL, ok well yes there are wrong ways to build one, but there is no one single correct way to build a GL, they were different from seasons to seasons .

The only things that stayed the same were the wheels, the 01, and flag, even that I think change some, the interior was always a tan, everything else from the cb antenna to the front push bar to the engines all varied

Edited by martinfan5

And I thought Space Shuttle External Tank orange shades were tough to pin down (or the gray shade on the TOS Starship Enterprise for that matter). ;)

Seriously, because of the wide array of colors (and considering Orange is a very tough color to match unless you have a specific paint chip from say a diecast) I would just get something that is close and works well. The lacquer sprays from Testors and Tamiya would be my prime choices if you go spray can as Tamiya's gloss orange shade looks pretty good, probably sprayed over an oxide red primer or a flat red to dull it down a little. Otherwise, its a Dodge, so I say Hemi Orange.

I think he was referring to Bubba Watson, the pro golfer that bought the General Lee at Barrett-Jackson, Scottsdale.

I thought he was talking about Bubba Gumm, the guy who patented orange.

:) - Yup; humor again, Jim.

heres the one im still working on .. i used ev2 paint from a local body shop... an i uesed saddle tan for the int..

davins037.jpg

davins036.jpg

i have a thread on here on this .. i used the 68 kit an a 69 kit to make mine..

look up highly detailed general lee.. if u wanna see more , or my photobucket at the bottom..

later days... Davin

Edited by mopar01lee

davins037.jpg

i cant believe you would build a general lee like that

it is highly unaccurate

i'd hate to be the one to critisize your build but when you make a general Lee IT HAS TO HAVE A REAR BUMPER

and you thought i was going to mention the doors didnt you

lol its not done yet . above the first pic it says ( the one im still working on) ...and mine was not built to be accurate but detailed.

and there is no such thing as an accurate general lee .. there are many to chose from ..but that is debatable an im not goin there ...lol

Edited by mopar01lee

lol its not done yet . above the first pic it says ( the one im still working on) ...and mine was not built to be accurate but detailed.

and there is no such thing as an accurate general lee .. there are many to chose from ..but that is debatable an im not goin there ...lol

Just like the paint, almost any shade will do