Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 Ford Ranchero

I put a '66 Fairlane chassis under my Ranchero. It's a much better fitting/looking chassis than the '67 Mustang chassis. In hind site, I wish I had tried the '64 Fairlane T-Bolt chassis. The larger rear fender wells would be a non issue since they have to be cut off anyway. The T-Bolt chassis is a perfect fit under a '60 and up Comet. The Comet is a mid size like the Fairlane. It had no "official" brand in '60 and '61 as it was from the Edsel motor company that was going down in flames. It wasn't until '62 that Mercury took over the Comet and Ford began producing it's sister car, the Fairlane.

I put a '66 Fairlane chassis under my Ranchero. It's a much better fitting/looking chassis than the '67 Mustang chassis. In hind site, I wish I had tried the '64 Fairlane T-Bolt chassis. The larger rear fender wells would be a non issue since they have to be cut off anyway. The T-Bolt chassis is a perfect fit under a '60 and up Comet. The Comet is a mid size like the Fairlane. It had no "official" brand in '60 and '61 as it was from the Edsel motor company that was going down in flames. It wasn't until '62 that Mercury took over the Comet and Ford began producing it's sister car, the Fairlane.

No, SIR

1960-1965 the Comet was based on the Ford Falcon platform (compact car)

It wasn't until 1966-that the Comet shared the same chassis as the Ford Fairlane (mid-size car)

But don't take my word for it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Comet

The second sentence says

Quote:

The Comet was based on the compact Ford Falcon then later on the Ford Maverick. (Although I will agree that the 1966-1967 Comet was based on the Fairlane platform)

Further down the Wikipedia page:

1964-65 The Comet was redesigned with a much more square shape, though it was STILL built on the the same unibody as the 1963.

Here's a few shots of a 1963 Comet I was looking at a few months ago

005_zpse0a55fdf.jpg

007_zpsc65f1671.jpg

006_zps6d6eba59.jpg

It is the same as the Falcon underneath right down to it's 4 lug wheels-the mid size Fairlane would have had 5 lug wheels.

I know some serious cutting of the cargo bed would need to take place, but I think I'm up for it. Good or bad idea?

IMG_2422-vi.jpg

The bed bottom actually comes out quite easy. Just score the line with the back of your eXacto blade. The fact that it's got four rigid sides makes it easier, since it holds shape well as you work. Then you can just clean up the edges and pop the bottom in higher (for a shallow bed look) to clear any suspension issues.

BTW, I will also endorse the '67 Mustang chassis. Remember the Mustang is basically a Falcon, so it should be as near correct as we need. I especially like the under hood structure etc.

BTW, I will also endorse the '67 Mustang chassis. Remember the Mustang is basically a Falcon, so it should be as near correct as we need. I especially like the under hood structure etc.

The 64 1/2 to 66 Mustang was the same unibody platform as was the Ford Falcon. Also the Econoline van and pick up shared the same basic platform.

The first generation Mercury Comet wagon WAS a Ford Falcon wagon with a Comet front clip and different tail light treatment

RF07_r280_11_zps7211e95c.jpg

62cometwagon31_zps639e1ead.jpg

And as I mentioned earlier-the first Falcons and Comets would have had 13 inch/4 lug wheels-the Fairlane would have had 14 inch/5lug wheels

There is no "correct" chassis for a Ranchero period. The '67 Mustang chassis isn't even close. What works or may work in the real world doesn't always translate to models. Here's a photo of a Mustang chassis under the Ranchero.

022_zps22b7a0e5.jpg

If you want to do all the work it would take to make that mess right, go for it.

This is what the '66 Fairlane chassis looks like shortened a few mms.

013_zps964e3042.jpg

No, SIR

1960-1965 the Comet was based on the Ford Falcon platform (compact car)

It wasn't until 1966-that the Comet shared the same chassis as the Ford Fairlane (mid-size car)

But don't take my word for it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Comet

The second sentence says

Quote:

The Comet was based on the compact Ford Falcon then later on the Ford Maverick. (Although I will agree that the 1966-1967 Comet was based on the Fairlane platform)

Further down the Wikipedia page:

1964-65 The Comet was redesigned with a much more square shape, though it was STILL built on the the same unibody as the 1963.

It is the same as the Falcon underneath right down to it's 4 lug wheels-the mid size Fairlane would have had 5 lug wheels.

Look at a '62 Comet. Now look at a '62 Fairlane. Now look at a '62 Falcon. Which two cars are more closely matched especially in the roof, door and quarter panel area? There are a lot of cars based on the Falcon chasiss platform. But that doesn't mean they share the same platform. The Comet has a longer wheelbase, interior and trunk area than the Falcon does. The Comet is 194.5 inches long. The Falcon is 181. The wheelbase on the Comet is 114. The wheelbase on The Falcon is 109.5.

Edited by plowboy

There is no "correct" chassis for a Ranchero period. The '67 Mustang chassis isn't even close. What works or may work in the real world doesn't always translate to models. Here's a photo of a Mustang chassis under the Ranchero.

Wow Roger! Thanks for pointing that out. For as many Rancheros as I own I didn't realize the body was that oversized. I know the nose is way too large for the AMT original Falcons.

To cross reference the origins of the Comet-read the Wiki report of the Ford Falcon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(North_America)

Read the section called First Generation (1960-1963)

I really don't want to start an argument over all of this, maybe it falls under the ill-fated topic that Harry P. started about "Scale Model Inaccuracies" and how some thing gets lost between the real cars and our models?

when I put the AMT '67 Mustang chassis into the '61 Comet I had to cut it and add about an inch of length to get the proper wheel base.

The Mustang in '67 was a larger car than the first generation Comet and you would think it would have to be shortened rather then lengthened.

Although in the AMT/SMP days as with the real car world the Falcon and the Comet were both considered a compact while the Fairlane was considered a mid size.

Also remember a few short years earlier the Fairlane was a full size car.

I just want to have a healthy discussion about model cars and techniques. (period)

If we're talking about the real world, the Falcon and Comet are the same car underneath, and the first generation Mustang is virtually the same as a Falcon and Comet (depending on the year and engine, a lot of parts interchange). The '62-'63 Meteor is the Mercury equivalent of the mid-size Fairlane.

If you're building scale replica, put whatever you think fits and looks best under there.

I guess the reason I mentioned the Comet in a Falcon Ranchero thread is because at one time I studied on taking one of these re-issued Ranchero kits and bashing it with a 1962 Comet front clip

cometchero01thumb1_zps9f7f2d44.jpg

cometchero02thumb1_zps76233ec1.jpg

1963FalconCometrbam1_zpsd3477b5d.jpg

As I mentioned before, the Comet wagon was a Falcon wagon with a Comet front clip-BUT- in Modelsville the two plastic bodies will not line up. ( I studied on it)

And I thought the Comet front clip should line up to the Ranchero body. Obviously they interchange in real life but not in plastic.

Wow Roger! Thanks for pointing that out. For as many Rancheros as I own I didn't realize the body was that oversized. I know the nose is way too large for the AMT original Falcons.

The Ranchero isn't oversized. It's just longer than a Falcon or Mustang. The best chassis donor I found for a '61 Falcon is the 1/24 '66 Monogram Mustang. The best chassis donor for a '61 Comet is from the Revell '64 Fairlane. It fits like it was made for it. Even the core support fits very well onto the Comet. If a person wanted to spend the money, they could buy the Trumpeter Ranchero and use the chassis and core support from it. It will be the closest to "correct" for the '61 Ranchero.

Not sure I want to open that can of worms here, but in my eyes the Trumpeter Falcons & Rancheros are rather - shall I say - lacking, from a mechanical accuracy standpoint.

My sentiments exactly; the whole reason to not waste money on the trumpeter kit is because you have to throw half the kit away and replace them with parts that are actually accurate. It's cool that the 64 t-bolt chassis is such a good fit but it doesn't necessarily follow that it works in 1:1. Like Steve said, the 62/63 Meteor was actually the sister car to the Fairlane and the Comet and Falcon were for the most part twins up to '65.

62met_zps5d183cea.jpg

mike

As I mentioned before, the Comet wagon was a Falcon wagon with a Comet front clip-BUT- in Modelsville the two plastic bodies will not line up. ( I studied on it)

And I thought the Comet front clip should line up to the Ranchero body. Obviously they interchange in real life but not in plastic.

You sure about that?

P3040046_zpsbb93e61b.jpg

P3040047_zpsf197dcd5.jpg

My avatar car is in my garage:

Comet5-5-09003_zpsb7fb85a1.jpg

13020108_zpse1d26c5a.jpg

-MJS

Beautiful wagon :wub:

mike

Thank you Mike. I've owned it for almost 27 years now.

Mr. Maindrian Pace,

You have a very nice Mercury Comet Station Wagon. What year is it ?

Is your car built on the Ford Falcon chassis or the Ford Fairlane chassis ?

thanks, Larry

Thanks Larry. It's a 1960, first year for the Comet/Falcon. It is based on the Falcon chassis, with the wagons being the same wheelbase as the Falcon wagons and sedans at 109.5". The Comet sedans had a five inch longer wheelbase at 114.5", but their chassis was otherwise the same. My Comet 2dr wagon uses the same 1/4 panels as the Ranchero and Falcon 2dr wagon, which shows just how closely related the cars are.

The midsize Fairlane, introduced in 1962, had a chassis with a similar layout, but everything was different and nothing interchanged with the Falcon/Comet.

-MJS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm on the verge of finishing my '60 Ranchero. Are the axles too long? Or the shock wheel backs/mounts too short? There is a lot of side to side play with wheels mounted in the chassis. Yet they look like the wheels/tires will not be sticking out to far. Has anybody else noticed this problem with this kit?

Scott