Model Cars Magazine Forum

What happened to Revell of Gemany Ferrari 250 SWB

Phildaupho

Hey, you do keep your eye on the money! well, I was asking about wheels, not wells ( a place where I would plunge if I where definitively forbidden to build any model kit...), Wheels and tires is for me DE most difficult difficulty to overcome! if you put your SWB over a 120 grit metal sanding paper, I am sure you will get that magic sensation you are just looking for a real car but, if the wheels are not convincing at all... On the other hand, I might say that, for once, some fantastic plastic wire wheels have been maid, the PROTAR Ferrari 250 GTO ones! more recent Revell copies are not as good, as they are chromed, not painted as Protar's... Protar/Revell tires are kept for some eventual Jeep... in my unfinished 250 GTO '64, tires came from an Academy 250 LM, it's as they where made for these wheels!...

GTO 64 02.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 6:51 AM, MrObsessive said:

...I believe they came from one of the Monogram kits since they were 1/24 scale for much of their existence until Revell took over.

It's been MANY years since I built that, and I still have it, albeit in a case to keep the dust away from it.

Reaalllllyyyy gorgeous workup, Bill. And yes, I was curious myself and zoomed in - I'm pretty sure you have the Monogram GT radials on yours, with the blank sidewall out or maybe from just after they removed the lettering.  The tread matches.

Those weren't quite right so many of R/M's own subjects, but they're a HUGE improvement over what Italeri gives you for most of their vintage Ferraris. 😁

• Like 1