Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th Promod Duster

I'm thinking a display with doors/nose/slick off and up on Pro-jacks. I've been looking everywhere for some small- pattern sheet for use as Temp flooring. This stuff is slightly large, but it's not as noticable when looking at "normal viewing" angles. I hit one corner with primer gray killing the gloss, and it's easily the best thing I've seen so far. One could easily use team colors by painting a border like teams that use different color tiles often do. Or you can buy it in colors at the store. It's cheap too! Find it with the knitting stuff at a craft store near you. The Back ground will be the wall of the trailer. Anyone reading this knows what I mean. Put a door on the wall, reflectors, space underneath, maybe the outside of one tire to prove it's a transporter. Deployed chutes and team paint will make a perfect natural setting. Plus it's alot of bang for the buck....visually. It seems logical to use an awning to angle up to the front of the case, but you have to be careful cutting off light sources from the car. One could light the project with batteries behind the wall....and it's never been easier finding bright Low-amp lites (LED's)but thats all stuff to decide later.

I do however plan this far ahead. I will order the 17x9x8"case to keep things clean and dustfree over the months while building and as it sits now and then when I lose motivation. (AKA...get another model) . The base is critical since the Jacks must be bulletproof, yet appear to be portable while holding a top heavy & wide car .

CIMG6919.jpgCIMG6922.jpgCIMG6924.jpgCIMG6921.jpg

CIMG6930.jpg

I never thought I'd have this much done after a few days... On the other hand, I worked serious hours everyday. The TDR rear end came in :P :P :P and it is a tad(???) narrower. That meant everything needed to be narrowed. So this is start no# 3 on the rear section.

CIMG6931.jpg

CIMG6927.jpgCIMG6928.jpgCIMG6925.jpg

I had no idea how I was going to mount these tubs. When I got the rather pricey parts, I was not too impressed. They are not 'set' in their shape that well. But having designed the mounting method by 'pushing' the part against the frame, they fell back into place and now I think they were a huge time saver. I used a piece of L- shaped stock to define the mounting point. Never would have drilled where the holes were..until I set the tubs in place and noticed the band running around the tub. I didn't want to drill there. so I divided the space left over and pre-drilled some mounting holes. Once the top 1/16th tubing was in place and the tubs tight around them, they were marked with a marker and trimmed (a little long) and presto...Done!! I will build a center fill panel and all will be finished in carbon fiber. The rear of the tubs will be modified...on another day :unsure: I'm done for now.....

CIMG6926.jpg

Jack, SUPER work again mate. B) Hey, I'm diggin' these bead blasted brass chassis. :)

Great advise/tip regarding those tubs too (front mounting bracket). That's going into my memory bank (as long as I don't forget).... :D

CIMG6941.jpgCIMG6945.jpg

Before I get buried in more and more frame work, I decided to make some of the panels and inner details. The tunnel was made by splitting to piece of tubing in half, and soldering in a couple of panels. I was playing wth the idea of making the tunnel adjustable. Not sure it will stay. The center cover between the wheels is made by making one side over-lapping the other...then spreading them out until they butt up against the tubs, then gluing. Then a third upper part was trimmed to width, then push up to the rear bars then glued. That will now be a quick perfect pattern that took just minutes to make. BTW, I'm keeping the tubs too wide until they have to be trimmed.

CIMG6948.jpg

CIMG7016.jpgCIMG7018.jpgCIMG7022.jpg

My case came in today. Premature perhaps. But keeping things clean and knowing where to stage everything has to be planned early. Plus while it looks pretty big, once you put a car on jacks and a back transporter wall, at an angle...(because that's the law of Dio's) it will be, pushing the limits.

CIMG7017.jpg