Model Cars Magazine Forum

Suppose there's an IRS under there?

"thing"

Nissan 240sx.

Its called stance. The car didn't do anything to deserve this.

Kids do stupid things.

Remember in the early 90's when kids where running tiny wheels on spacers so the tires stuck out like 10" from the car? I think it's their kids doing this.

At full bump a Jag rear end won't give that much negative camber...unless it's broken. The pic looks old, taken with film, kinda washed out over-exposed. The surfboards are old, '60s. The clothes are '60s.

My guess is she's got a broken RR axle, or has just worn the outer bearing down to dust. It happens.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

why do they do that? because they can and because it bugs you.

jb

And because they're a lot more concerned with making an impression than actually driving their little twinkie-dink wussy rides.

An idiot suspension setup like that destroys handling. A swing-axle Corvair with no air in the tires would handle better.

I checked the Model A photo for a source...I found the same picture showing the sedan with a stock stance, in fact it looks stock with the banjo rear end except the tall skinny 16 inch tires (all the same size). The photo we're talking about appears to have been photoshopped. So no irs,no broken axle. Mystery solved?

Edited by mike 51

And because they're a lot more concerned with making an impression than actually driving their little twinkie-dink wussy rides.

An idiot suspension setup like that destroys handling. A swing-axle Corvair with no air in the tires would handle better.

Just like how I'm sure lead sleds and high-boys and gassers all handled fantastic? "Stanced" cars are the modern age lead sleds. All about looking wild, laying frame, and not giving a care about the rest of what a car is supposed to do. I bet people called lead sleds "ruined" back in their day as well.

Just like how I'm sure lead sleds and high-boys and gassers all handled fantastic? "Stanced" cars are the modern age lead sleds. All about looking wild, laying frame, and not giving a care about the rest of what a car is supposed to do. I bet people called lead sleds "ruined" back in their day as well.

Let's see here. Highboys handle pretty well for what they are. Ever driven one? Gassers had a functional purpose...to go fast in a straight line over a quarter mile. They performed that function admirably. Many lead sleds were the owner's only transportation. They had to function as cars.

"Stanced" cars are stupid, useless, wannbee-cool carp.

BUT there were a lot of poorly-done, ill proportioned, close-to-useless old-school hot rods and customs too. Ignorance and poor engineering don't have a lock on any one particular generation...but they seem to be more fashionable today than ever before.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Ignorance and poor engineering don't have a lock on any one particular generation...but they seem to be more fashionable today than ever before.

It does rather point to my general belief that the decline in common sense has accompanied the decline in the quality of education and entertainment, leading to a general crassness and cynicism about society and life in general.

Charlie Larkin

I checked the Model A photo for a source...I found the same picture showing the sedan with a stock stance, in fact it looks stock with the banjo rear end except the tall skinny 16 inch tires (all the same size). The photo we're talking about appears to have been photoshopped. So no irs,no broken axle. Mystery solved?

In order for the rear wheel on that Model A sedan to splay out as it appears in the picture--the axle housing itself would had to have been broken, and about the only place you're going to fracture that housing would be at the banjo center section. Model A's have a 3/4 floating rear axle (same with all Ford cars from 1928-48, meaning that the weight of the car in the rear is borne by the axle housing, NOT the axle shaft itself.

Art

Let's see here. Highboys handle pretty well for what they are. Ever driven one? Gassers had a functional purpose...to go fast in a straight line over a quarter mile. They performed that function admirably. Many lead sleds were the owner's only transportation. They had to function as cars.

"Stanced" cars are stupid, useless, wannbee-cool carp.

BUT there were a lot of poorly-done, ill proportioned, close-to-useless old-school hot rods and customs too. Ignorance and poor engineering don't have a lock on any one particular generation...but they seem to be more fashionable today than ever before.

#Aintcare im still gonna cock my wheels past -20, people like you wont live for much longer anyways and hopefully your views follow suit.

#Aintcare im still gonna cock my wheels past -20, people like you wont live for much longer anyways and hopefully your views follow suit.

Good for you !! :D

You'll have to spend every cent you make flipping burgers or changing oil for buying tires every week, but good for you !!

Never EVER let some old geezer's "views" about the real-world engineering of vehicle dynamics and handling interfere with your right to express your follow-the-idiot-herd look-at-me suspension setup ideas.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

In order for the rear wheel on that Model A sedan to splay out as it appears in the picture--the axle housing itself would had to have been broken, and about the only place you're going to fracture that housing would be at the banjo center section. Model A's have a 3/4 floating rear axle (same with all Ford cars from 1928-48, meaning that the weight of the car in the rear is borne by the axle housing, NOT the axle shaft itself.

Art

IF the axle was broken at the inboard end and IF the outer bearing was ground to dust and IF the car was overloaded and leaning to the right (which the old Ford appears to be if you look carefully) you could probably get that much apparent camber on one side.

I shoulda been more specific.