Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Ed Roth 57 Bel Air - Suddenly It's 1963!

On Saturday I picked up the latest incarnation of the much loved (or loathed) 1957 Chevy Bel Air, which was originally introduced in 1963. This is the one with opening doors, trunk, and steerable wheels. Back in the day this kit was controversial because of the afore mentioned features - it was The End of Modeling As We Know It, since opening doors, etc. were the domain of Master Modelers like Dave Shuklis. Now anybody could walk into a hobby shop, plunk down $1.98, and have an award winning model. In theory. Actually, this kit was and is a bear to assemble.

Except for the decals, tires, and chrome wheels, it's pretty much a straight re-pop of the Revell/Revell Monogram Hot Rod Magazine version. The stock hubcaps and chrome reverse wheels have been restored, so for the first time in 30+ years a stock version can be built. The tires are no name black walls, but with some whitewall trimming, the wheels will fit the AMT B.F. Goodrich tires found in kits like the '62 Pontiac. There is a drag version, but no slicks or roll bar. The glass is clear, but too small, there's a considerable gap between the glass & body for both the front & rear windows. The only solution I've been able to find is a sheet of .005" clear Evergreen and trial & error fitting. Compared to a Revell/Mongram example I have (yes, I AM a glutton for punishment) there are far fewer sink marks, but there is plenty of flash (see the chrome tree below). Considering the age of the mold, it's no worse than some AMT repops from the same era. Oddly, on my old kit, the copyright on the frame is 1985, on the current version the copyright is 1973. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that the kit was molded in the U.S.A. The decal sheet was printed in Italy - no word if it was by Cartograf. (see below). Not to beat a dead horse, but compared to the AMT and 21st Century 57 Chevys, the proportions off - it's been a complaint since the '80s and it would seem to be unreasonable to fix it now. FWIW, I like it, warts & all.

I wouldn't recommend this kit for the casual builder, but if you like the experience of modeling circa 1963, this is WAY cheaper than buying the original issue.

post-10836-0-86093600-1401242393_thumb.j

post-10836-0-25813000-1401242418_thumb.j

post-10836-0-48611600-1401242434_thumb.j

post-10836-0-59604800-1401242466_thumb.j

No thanks....I remember the original one clearly enough to pass on this one.

It strikes me as odd that they even bothered given the numerous better 57s readily availble.

They may even be risking their reputation since people unfamilar with this kit are likely to be very disappointed.

Edited by mike 51

I really think this kit is aimed primarily at the Roth collector and using the old-tool '57 makes sense from that standpoint. I also maintain that the best and a much easier path to an accurate replica of the 1:1 Roth car would be to use this kit's decals on the Revell '57 snap kit.

No thanks....I remember the original one clearly enough to pass on this one.

It strikes me as odd that they even bothered given the numerous better 57s readily availble.

They may even be risking their reputation since people unfamilar with this kit are likely to be very disappointed.

I think they're basing it on the success of the equally old and fiddly 56 Ford pickup with Roth decals that they've seen fit to do 2 runs of. I sold a ton of those and no one ever asked for their money back.

revell_rothpickup-box.jpg

Roth_Pickup.jpg

Edited by Brett Barrow

Re: the 56 F100 sales...

that's amazing.

But your explaination makes sense...

and the pick-up is even worse to me ,especially compared to AMT's 53.

(and one I'd love to see re-done)

Edited by mike 51

Never have owned this kit. Did this originally come with rear quarter windows that retract? Or is that another kit? Carl mentioned a glass fitting problem on AMT's '57 also. Which AMT '57 are you talking about Carl? I've build their old 60's tooled kit with no problems that I remember. In the past I've also successfully built Revell's '56 Ford Pickup. Though not as good as AMT's '53, I thought it was OK. How does the the Roth '57 Chev compare to the '56 Ford? How bad is the fit of the windows. Can we see some photos?

Scott

I really wish Revell would just destroy the molds to these almost unbuildable kits. Or at least repair things like glass that falls through the openings, and the tons of flash. It's so sad to think that someone new to model building may buy these things, and give up on the hobby. I have a couple of the Revell 56 Chevies that I picked up in a collection I bought. The ones for this same era, all they are good for is maybe clunker builds. They are both serverely warped, the headlights don't even look like a 56, and I cant tell where the flash begins, and the parts I need begin. When it comes to opening doors, I would think that with todays technologies, they could do so much better.

I'm not sure whether to shake my head at, or give Revell credit for, the testicular fortitude necessary to re-release this old dog instead of the snap kit.

Admittedly they did get me to buy the Roth '56 pickup because they'd added a set of Olds Fiesta wheelcovers. However, I'm pretty certain I won't be buying this kit for the decals, especially since it doesn't look like they exactly match the paint on the real car.

Maybe if they had included a set of '57 Imperial wheelcovers like Ed had on his BelAir, I'd take the bait...

roth-chevy.jpg

It's so sad to think that someone new to model building may buy these things, and give up on the hobby.

I think that probably happened a LOT back in the '60s, when kids were sucked in by the absolutely gorgeous box art in which the "old" Revell would dress up this and its other equally unbuildable and malproportioned Tri-5 Chevy kits. It's less likely today, though, with Skill Level 3 rating and truth-in-advertising pics of the actual model on the box sides.

Maybe if they had included a set of '57 Imperial wheelcovers like Ed had on his BelAir, I'd take the bait...

Yeah, one would.have thought they would've tossed us that much of a bone at least ... I would definitely have bought one for those wheels and the decals to use on the snapper. Gonna pass now ...

If you can throw a new sheet of decals into a box that contains a reissued kit from the Stone Age whose tooling was paid for long ago, and you can sell that to the public... that's a business decision anyone with any sense at all would make.

If you can throw a new sheet of decals into a box that contains a reissued kit from the Stone Age whose tooling was paid for long ago, and you can sell that to the public... that's a business decision anyone with any sense at all would make.

Karl's post states this kit was molded in the U.S. ... Revell hasn't run any of its kits stateside for a long time; I question whether it even has the ability to do so anymore. That, plus the fact Revell didn't provide new Roth-correct wheel covers, like it did with the '56 pickup, leads me to believe this kit may be comprised of a bunch of leftover kits Revell had in a warehouse somewhere that it simply repackaged in new boxes with new decals and instructions. It kind of adds up when you think about it. Plus, it's pretty clear from that pic of the chrome shot that there has been no tool cleanup performed for this issue.

Edited by Spooky Benson

Revell can and does run kits in the US if the molds are still here. Lindberg does their older kits here as well, and now that they're under the Round2 banner we'll probably start seeing some AMT and MPC kits molded here, too. It really comes down to where the molds are physically located. I don't think they have the ability to do much repair work to the molds here, though, those craftsman have retired and most of the folks who still know how to perform that type of work are in the Far East.

Like I said... as long as they can keep cranking out these old dinosaurs in new boxes (and maybe with new decals), and people keep on buying them, it's almost pure profit. Doesn't cost much to run some plastic through some old molds that were paid for long ago and many times over, print up a few thousand boxes, and call it a day. Way cheaper than designing and tooling up a new kit from scratch.

As long as consumers continue to buy kits of this sort, consumers will continue to see kits of this sort reissued in various guises (and disguises) over and over again.

As far as business decisions go, it's a no-brainer.

... that's a business decision any cynical marketing exec. with little notion of the value of releasing a quality product, or long range vision, at all would make.

... that's a business decision any cynical marketing exec. with little notion of the value of releasing a quality product, or long range vision, at all would make.

That's a business decision that model companies are making over and over and over again. That's exactly what a "re-issue" is. Same old kit, maybe new decals, maybe new box. It's done all the time.

That's a business decision that model companies are making over and over and over again. That's exactly what a "re-issue" is. Same old kit, maybe new decals, maybe new box. It's done all the time.

Round 2 does seem to put more effort into their re-issues, though. Esp. w/ the presentation.

Round 2 does seem to put more effort into their re-issues, though. Esp. w/ the presentation.

There are "degrees" of reissues. Straight reissue of an old kit (maybe molded in a different color this time), modified reissue with a few new parts added, special collector box or new box art (the "presentation" part), new decals, whatever. The tricky thing is being savvy enough to recognize what you're buying... as in the case of a notoriously lousy old kit disguised in a new box, for example. Bad kit when first released, and new box art hasn't made the reissued kit any better. Caveat emptor.

I think they were going for a Round 2 approach with this one by opening up the parts that haven't been in the last few reissues. Something new would have been nice, I agree. I wish Revell would wrap the graphic design on the box sides as well as the top, the way Round 2 does.

I like the box art painting. I wonder if Sean Svendsen did this? I know he did their last Roth kit, the Rat Fink w/ Garage.

There are "degrees" of reissues. Straight reissue of an old kit (maybe molded in a different color this time), modified reissue with a few new parts added, special collector box or new box art (the "presentation" part), new decals, whatever. The tricky thing is being savvy enough to recognize what you're buying... as in the case of a notoriously lousy old kit disguised in a new box, for example. Bad kit when first released, and new box art hasn't made the reissued kit any better. Caveat emptor.

At least with this kit, the buyer has a good idea what he is getting because of the Skill Level 3 rating and pics of the built model on the box sides. It isn't like those horrid old Pyro kits Lindberg reissued a few years back.