Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Playland Penny Arcade

KHamilton

• 2 weeks later...

I love your stuff ken , can you write a book just for me? LOL! I would get my left.....um no I wont :huh: , Well Id pay alot of......um I dont have that stuff,... well looks like were back to the book Ken So how bout it? Great Job and I do want to be a good dio builder where do you suggest I get started? Thanks for any help you can provide.

One of the things I like about building dioramas is that somewhere in the process

they develop a life of their own and details get added on the spur of the moment.

The hole in the bricked-up second floor window was going to be simply a hole,

but I thought maybe it could serve as a basis for an inconspicuous detail...

P1280007-vi.jpg

....so I made this quickie box with some general details for inside the "hole":

BrickHole1-vi.jpg

An LED behind the plastic curtain over the door creates this effect:

BrickHole2-vi.jpg

Here's the box placed inside the Arcade building behind the hole in the brick wall.

The LED at the top center of the door is on, but you can't really tell in this picture

BrickHole13-vi.jpg

Here's what all this is trying to achieve. When the viewer notices the light and peeks in

the "hole", a small and somewhat difficult to see interior room will present itself.

Not something you might notice the first time around, but something to keep you

interested during the second or third look......

BrickHole24-vi.jpg

BrickHole23-vi.jpg

BrickHole27-vi.jpg

Ken..... you're driving me nuts!!!! Everytime I think one of my dios is finished, you come up with these little extra details... and suddenly mine are totally unfinished! Now I've got to start thinking about what to put behind my windows. As if I didn't already have enough unfinished projects!!!!

Tony

If you scroll up to the Arcade facade photo, you'll notice the other window opening on the right.

I decided to fill that space with the back side of a plaster lath wall that was installed during a previous renovation.

Those of us who have done work on old houses have seen plaster lath walls - thin

strips of wood nailed across the studs and covered with plaster. Viewed from the

back, the plaster that oozed through the space between the strips had lots of

visual interest. Building a plaster lath wall in scale is done the same way as the

old craftsmen used to do it. First, I framed a wall with scale 2'x 4" lumber. I squared

up this wall over graph paper:

PlasterWall-vi.jpg

The lath was done with thin, pre-stained strip stock:

PlasterWall2-vi.jpg

From the back, the wall will look like this with the lath strips in place:

PlasterWall3-vi.jpg

Next, I applied spackle to the front of the wall with a styrene trowel, squeezing a little

bit through the spaces between the lath strips:

PlasterWall4-vi.jpg

From the front, the finished wall looks like this. Since this side of the wall won't be

seen, I'll leave it like this. If it were going to show, I'd sand this side and apply a finish

coat of spackle:

PlasterWall7-vi.jpg

The INTERESTING side of the wall is the back:

PlasterWall8-vi.jpg

In some spots, too much spackle oozed through, but that's easily chipped off

with a toothpick after everything dries:

PlasterWall9-vi.jpg

Here's the back side of the wall in place in front of the former window opening.

I still need to dirty it up a little bit. Again, not a detail that will jump out, but it

adds a little more interest to the scene:

PlasterWall13-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking........

Most old apartment buildings had stairway access to the roof. Here's the basic

Gatorboard form for the one in this diorama.:

PlasterWall16-vi.jpg

The door is etched aluminum over model airplane plywood, surrounded by a wood frame

wood frame. The siding & roof material is painted sandpaper.

Shed7-vi.jpg

In place on the roof, with clotheslines running to a pole on the other side of the roof.

RoofA2-vi.jpg

In the real world, the sloped stairway roof would extend all the way to the building's flat roof.

Since this is a "cut-away model", the back of the stairway is cut flush with where the back of

the building is cut. In retrospect, I should have made the stairway enclosure longer, with

more of the slope showing. As it is, the stairway just looks like a shed on the roof. I may

change it later, but for now there's too much other stuff to get done.

First, I framed a wall with scale 2'x 4" lumber.

So Ken what are the dimensions for a 1/25th scale 2X4? :D :D :D :D ( In memory of Lou).

Seriously though this is why you are the MASTER. Also this is why I took up 1/87th your work is inspiring. Hope to see this in person some day.