Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome wheels in Nascar...again!

Guest zebm1

Powder-coated, simulated chrome Weld wheels in Nascar! :) Yall figger sumone in Nascarland has been paying attention to yu madelers doing Alcladding? :wink:

Zeb :twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

The traditional chrome process caused chrome wheels to crack due to etch entrapment on the center holes and around the lug areas on the wheels. Centers were pulling out of the wheels so NASCAR nixed them at the time. Powder coating is a whole different process and works well.

Bob

Bobby Hamilton's truck had them last year, and I think it does with Kenny Schrader behind the wheel this year, too.

198512379-vi.jpg

Love the look of them...I hope more teams use them eventually.

I saw when Biffle wrecked in practice they put gold wheels on the car to move it around (Can't remember if it was Daytona or California testing, but I have it on tape) and the black and gold car with gold wheels looked really, really good to me.

I'm glad to see teams using wheel colors other then black...Evernham has red on the 9 and 19, Penske has blue on the 2 and 12, red when the Mobil 1 car is running and yellow when the Penske Truck Rentals car is running..

When you chrome plate any thing that is made from steel, you have a residual effect called "hydrogen embrittlement" This is what causes the object to be weaker. To counter this conditition, platers bake the object in an oven at high temeratures. This restores the steel to it's original strength. When I worked in the plating industry, this is the process we used on bike frames.

bob :shock:

When you chrome plate any thing that is made from steel, you have a residual effect called "hydrogen embrittlement" This is what causes the object to be weaker. To counter this conditition, platers bake the object in an oven at high temeratures. This restores the steel to it's original strength. When I worked in the plating industry, this is the process we used on bike frames.

bob :shock:

Just to point something out here. The hydrogen embrittlement is not a problem with the steel but in the chrome and if not taken care of would flake off even with the smallest rock chip. This is more of a problem in pieces with multiple plating layers. Hydrogen embrittlement of steel would require a molten steel pool without a protective atmosphere or by using a non-low hydrogen process or being careless with the rod ovens. This is also seen in thicker sections like 1" +.

By sticking the parts in the oven you give the hydrogen a chance to diffuse through the matrix and come out of the part thus resulting in less hydrogen pockets, cracks and stress concentrators.

At least that's what I've seen with chrome.

Sorry for the tangent.

I also like the chrome wheels back in nascar. :D

It was a nice surprise to see the Toyotas running chrome wheels!

....although probably not traditionally chromed. I'm curious as to what process or materials were used to get that shine.

also, I'm sitting here with my BGSU DAD sweat shirt on thinking Bowling Green is also an Ohio State University :lol:

Nick Erchak

-Welding Engineering Student

The Ohio State University

Seems to be the only thing Toyota got right was chroming there wheels. They can barely get a car to qualify and their veteran drivers are using provisionals fast. Kinda ironic the car of tomorrow is introduced the same year as Toyota. Hhmmm. car of tomorrow looks like jap ricer ######, Toyota is jap ricer ######. Seems Toyota bought into NASCAR pretty well, seeing making their own car is their only hope.

It also seems kind of ironic that the Toyota is made in America, and the other 'American' cars are made in Mexico and Canada. How much of anything is made in America nowadays? Toyota failing in Nascar? You mean like the truck teams last year? Also, you can't really blame the cheating thing on a whole company, that is a separate team problem, that has been going on since day one, only now it's getting harder to get away with it. Yeah, I own a Toyota. A Tundra that was built in America, that has not had a problem in the six years I've owned it. I love wagons, and my next vehicle could be the Dodge Magnum with a Hemi, only I'm not thrilled with it being made in Mexico, or the quality problems Chrysler has. Competition makes for better cars and racing, and you would think any motorsport would welcome competition, especially Nascar, where only three manufacturers are represented. But then again, some mindsets are not very open.

here I go again...first of all, if I move to Japan am I Japanese? So what if Toyota or a few thousand to be exact are made here. toyota aoriginaly made every vehicle in there fleet in Japan. Just as all three automakers did, they all started gettinf built in or around the Detroit area. Then due to Americans demanding paychecks and medical benefits, they outscoursed their work. Japan looked to America and said, "Hey!, if we can run the market on those foreign loving fools over there, why should we barge vehicle over there?" And why should they? Its much cheaper to start a small factory operation somewhere in a place like Kentucky, and disperse their models from there rather then on a ship that gets effected by salt water and cargo inspections. So who really cares where a vehicle is made, don't you find it ironic that Chevy and Dodge have there Canadian manufacturing plants just over the Great Lakes in another country? Think about it, Canadians work for less pay, and there operations are just over the lake to be closly watched over by GM and Chrysler. Ford has a few Mexicans build the cars for a few dollars an hour and no insurance benefits. Whereas in America, we would demand a paycheck and benefits. So two companies moved operation to Canadian, doesn't make them Canadian and the other doesn't make them Mexican. As like Toyota is not American, again if I move to Canada am I Canadian? If I move to Mexico (Heaven forbid) I'm not Mexican and if I move to Japan I'm not Japanese.

And in reply to the truck series. Its simple I assume you watch the trucks and cup racing. The people who drive Toyota trucks work together, the smart thing to do, If a Roush driver is leading the truck race, like every Friday night. And theres a few Toyotas behind...like every Friday night. The Toyotas, regaurdless of teams, will help for a manufacturer win. The only thing Toyota drivers have going for them. In cup well Toyota needs to finish more then one race and get to the front to do that. But isn't it ironic you take a driver who won the cup only 8 years ago, who can't even qualify with out blowing an engine. Hmmm :?: The other drivers, such as Waltrip, who may have always sucked, at least could qualify in 99% of his atempts. And as for the rest of the drivers, well they all suck.

And another thing. Do you remember when Dodge was reintroduced into NASCAR? I don't know anyone who remembers so many Dodge comercials. Toyota has a ton. Including there 6 bolt wheels, Dodge and Chevy and Super Duty Ford have always used 8. There large drums, big whoop, comparable to all heavy duty trucks, which no Toyota compares to any heavy duty truck made by either Ford, Chevy or Dodge. Something telling me Toyota is paying a ton of money to NASCAR for attention, I'm still pretty sure Toyota is the reason for the car of tomorrow so it can compete with the rest. And if NASCAR wants moe competition, like Toyotas really competition! They will allow GM to bring back the Pontiac. Sadly, the Daytona 500 of 2007 was the first time, it couldn't be called "The Great American Race" I do believe we need to change the name of NASCAR now, after Bristol it can be called NARCAR...National Association for Ricer Car Automotive Racing. The car of tomorrow would be ok, if they took of those antlers...aka "wing", bring back the spoiler, and that front clip has been a complaint all week. Now all they need to do is put a fart can on the back.

It's obvious you've already made your decision, BUT....They aren't "real" Toyotas. They are purpose built racing machines. Toyota just pays to have their sheet metal on them. Without the sheet metal there is NO diffrence between Ford, Chevy or Dodge, and there hasn't been for years.

The CoT was first talked about in 2001, after Dale Earnhardt was killed. It's another of NASCAR's usually reactionary responces. When a major driver is killed, NASCAR then and ONLY then does something about it.

IE, Fuel cells after Fireball Roberts in 1964. Smokey Yunick has tried to get NASCAR to use them years before, but they couldn't be bothered. Same with the CoT. NASCAR didn't try to make the cars safer until a leading driver was killed.

I agree on the CoT, I don't like it one bit, BUT, it has nothing to due with Toyota. In fact, I would wager my entire kit collection that it's exactly the opposite. Toyota heard about the CoT and said "This is when we make our move"

Randy I had our talk out side of here, and the arguement wasn't really about the NASCAR rides, because I figured it was obvious how they where made, the front clip makes the vehicle what it is. But Toyota does manufactuer the Camry in Kentucky, but only a few thousand. They may manufactuer the Tundra as well. And the Fusion we all have access to is made in Mexico, the Monte Carlo and Charger are made in Canada. But it doesn't make it Canadian, I can see the arguement since most steel is made in Canada any more. If anything, if even 50% of something assembled in America and finished say in Canada, Canada has the rights to the "made in" where ever. But all I'm saying is all of these vehicle originated in there respective locations. I was born in Wisconsin, if I even move to Hawaii, it doesn't make me Hawaiian.

Guest zebm1

Hmmmmmm, Scott, let's see ifn I have yur rant fingered out. It seems to me that wether or no Toyota races Nascar doesn't mean as much to yu as tha fact that foreign auto manus produce a few cars in USA and our traditional manus produce across tha borders....because we Americans want to much money for our labor, is that it?

Political History 101:

Before Pres. Reagan, it was illegal for a domestic manu to manufacture their products outside our borders. Don't confuse tha Marshall Plan with anything more than an "investment." "Foot in tha proverbial door" is what it waz, tha beginnings of what we have now. Also, it was illegal for GMAC and Ford Motor Credit to exist, because the politicians, mostly (Southern) Democrats who controlled Congress after The Great Depression, very severely clipped tha Corporationist's wings. The political sentiment back then was...give a corporation an inch, they will take 2 miles.

BTW would it interest yu to know Scott, that prior to Reagan, those that made more than a million/yr personal income were taxed at 75% while folks like my parents only paid 7%...is why they had Middle Class families with single earner incomes. During Reagan tha rates changed to 65/10%, now during Bush...does this pass tha smell test.....tha ratios are less than 22% for tha very rich and 22 up for us.

Yur rant Scott is to be found in our country's political history since WW II.

When they first made corporations legal entity's during Pres. A. Jackson's administration, around 1848, he was adamantly against corporations - and I quote Andy J. " Corporations have neither a Butt yu can kick, nor a Soul that Cares!" And as many have had tha unfortunate experience, even tha underlings live by this Maxim.

Hope that this adds to yur accumulated experience Scott, all of what I have said is documentable.

Just one other thought Scott, we have a room for Rants, which is where this discussion should be, after all....this thread is just...about....chrome...wheels...in Nascar. :wink:

:twisted: Zeb