Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great Dane Preview.

Hey, maybe that's another idea for the Moebius wish list, the Volvo VT880. Then maybe everyone would stop asking me if I want to get rid (the answer is no, by the way) of my VN! :lol:

Sorry, still prefer the VN 780. LOL

A Freightshaker Cascadia or Columbia would be nice too though.

Edited by grimreaper

Sorry, still prefer the VN 780. LOL

A Freightshaker Cascadia or Columbia would be nice too though.

Yeah, that would be nice too James, but I like the 880 the most because it has that long hood look. I spent enough time behind short hood Intertrashionals and Freightliner FLD 120s, and even a Volvo for a short time, but I never enjoyed the road more than in my long hood Classic XL! Yeah, long hoods can be a pain in the BLEEPITY BLEEPING BLEEP in a tight spot, and I had my share of tight places to stuff that Classic and later the Mack CH613 daycab I drove with a set forward axle doing local deliveries where I sometimes wished I has shorter hoods, but I managed! :lol:

I just love my long hood trucks! :)

Yeah, that would be nice too James, but I like the 880 the most because it has that long hood look. I spent enough time behind short hood Intertrashionals and Freightliner FLD 120s, and even a Volvo for a short time, but I never enjoyed the road more than in my long hood Classic XL! Yeah, long hoods can be a pain in the BLEEPITY BLEEPING BLEEP in a tight spot, and I had my share of tight places to stuff that Classic and later the Mack CH613 daycab I drove with a set forward axle doing local deliveries where I sometimes wished I has shorter hoods, but I managed! :lol:

I just love my long hood trucks! :)

I love the Pete 378. If I ever have the extra $100 I'm gonna grab one.

As for the VN 780, I just like the looks of it, if Moebius were to issue a full detail one I'd be a happy camper. Didn't like the look of the Lonestar when I first seen it, but it has grown on me, and will definatly be getting one.

I'm confused. It has been mentioned several times for a kit of a Volvo VN 780. That kit has been offeedr by Italeri for years. Revell of Germany has re-boxed it as well. IMHO, despite being a curbside kit, it is still a nice kit.

IT3818.jpg

Maybe you meant a Volvo VT 800? I doubt Italeri would Issue a kit just for that out of production truck. May be an aftermarket supplier could make the hood conversion for a VN modification.

What would be more practical would be a Freightliner Cascadia. A very modern common subject in both OO and fleet form.

4934086880_85b6d15e7e.jpg

I know about the Italeri kit, but it can get VERY pricey. And that Cascadia is EXACTLY what I'm looking for (Schneider and all). That's the truck my step-dad drove when he worked for them and Werner. Pretty sure that's what he's driving now with his current company, not positive though as it's been a year since I seen the truck.

5035086521_3020607f2c_z.jpg

Edited by grimreaper

To be honest I'm a little bit disappointed about the trailer. The photo's on the Lonestar box suggest a sort of step trailer which this is not. Other photo's on the internet suggested a wide spread suspension. Let's wait and see the result. Chrome would likely change my opinion.

Hessel

The pic on the trailer on the box doesnt have anything to do with what is to be released later. This trailer is right on with what is needed and is most common for us trucks, how could you be dissapointed??

Edited by truckman1981

To be honest I'm a little bit disappointed about the trailer. The photo's on the Lonestar box suggest a sort of step trailer which this is not. Other photo's on the internet suggested a wide spread suspension. Let's wait and see the result. Chrome would likely change my opinion.

Hessel

The photos on the internet were photos that I posted a year ago on this board as a suggestion of what I thought could be a fully optioned trailer kit request. To be clear, that photo is a heavily optioned Great Dane reefer trailer. The proposed kit is a very common subject seen virtually every in North America as fleet equipment. I think it is a more apprporiate subject as an intial release, espeically in conjuction with the Prostar. Both are much more common rigs than the Lonestar. The green stainless steel, spread axle reefer you are referring to could be a future release, since modifications to the proposed kit would be minimal. And if you are set on the chrome look, Alcald 2 is always available.

If made by Moebius, yes. I said the VN 780 was pricey only because it's been discontinued and the cheapest I've seen them go for is around $100. The price on the Lonestar is 1/2 that.

Then the price will go down when they reissue it. Just as the 1/16th scale Pete prices will fall when it is reissued. Italeri will reissue it faster than Moebius will offfer it.

Then the price will go down when they reissue it. Just as the 1/16th scale Pete prices will fall when it is reissued. Italeri will reissue it faster than Moebius will offfer it.

Yeah, or the price will stay around $100, which is about the going rate of the reiussed FLC, correct?? :unsure::huh:

Very good point. I hope the VN 780 is reissued soon, would definatly love to get my hands on one without having to get a bank loan. LOL

And shipped to my address, $79.99, which is still about $20 more than I can take the short 10 minute drive to my LHS (where I prefer to spend my money) and buy a Lonestar for just a little over $50.

But it ain't around a hundred like you originally said. And there are probably cheaper prices to be found.

But it ain't around a hundred like you originally said. And there are probably cheaper prices to be found.

And if you look at the RETAIL price, it is $92, and after adding sales tax or shipping etc, you're going to be at or above $100. Also, I don't care if there are probably cheaper prices to be found, I would much rather go to my LHS and say hi to the owner and give them my little donation to keep them in business, no matter if I have to pay a couple of dollars more. I'm fortunate enough to have three LHSs in my area, and I know each owner personally since I've dealt with them for probably around 25 years, and they usually cut me some good deals anyway, even though they all know I would much rather come to their shops instead of saving a couple dollars ordering online. You can call me dumb, stupid, or whatever else, but when I hear others on the forums I belong to complain they have no LHS within 100 miles of them, I feel fortunate for the 3 I have within 10 miles of me I'll spend that extra dollar or two for the piece of mind that when I want or need a kit or supplies, I'll have them in my hands within 15 minutes (or more depending on how much I shop) instead of having to put a project on hold for a week or more waiting for them to be shipped. If the odd chance they are out of what I need, these three businessmen will make sure I get it ASAP, they will special order it for me.

Oh, and just to get this thread back on it's original track, I'll be impatiently waiting for this fine reefer to hit my LHS's shelves supporting my local businesses, and dare I say, friends!

I am all for supporting my LHS, more then half of the good LHS here are own by the same person, and on alot of kits the dollar amount difference from them and online is about $ 10 and up, not to mention the drive which for me is 20 miles. So its all around cheaper to for me to order online. Now I do buy some things from them, but kits most times is not one them. Take the lonestar kit, my LHS is selling it for $80 , I got mine from modelexpress for around $65. So after taxes thats a savings of about $20-25

I would love to see Italeri reissue both of the Volvo kits (Vn 780/ vn 670)

The pic on the trailer on the box doesnt have anything to do with what is to be released later. This trailer is right on with what is needed and is most common for us trucks, how could you be dissapointed??

I think the trailer like that is a little straight forward. I know they are common in the US. I personally would like something more in the heavy haulage section. This trailer, forgive me if i'm wrong, could be made out of two Ertl grate dane trailers. Nothing new to me I say. Off course the quality of the kit might be Moebius standard so no worries about that. It is a personal opinion, no more than that.

I have developed a drop-deck trailer which was CNC milled. For me OK.

Hessel

IMG_6413-vi.jpgIMG_7791-vi.jpg

Edited by Hessel Hemstra

How about a smooth side trailer down the road, later on?

If the doors are to remain shut once built, why couldn't the inside of the walls have detail to incorporate a smooth side look just by flipping the sides over during construction. Ribbed on one side, smooth on the other. Builders choice. Depending on how the sides are molded/assembled at the front and rear of course.

• 2 weeks later...

If the doors are to remain shut once built, why couldn't the inside of the walls have detail to incorporate a smooth side look just by flipping the sides over during construction. Ribbed on one side, smooth on the other. Builders choice. Depending on how the sides are molded/assembled at the front and rear of course.

Maybe something as simple as detailing a few sheets of thin balsa wood?