Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Dirty Thirty' Gasser.

Talbot90

After completing my 'Filthy Forty Gasser of Charlie Hill, I decided next on the list is his "Dirty Thirty" 33 Willys.

Dirty30AAFAcropped.jpg

Only 4 pics exist of the '33' ( As supplied by the Filthy Forty Tribute car team) So alot of my build will be a educated guess.

K2667-06.jpg

Starting with AMTs 33 Willys, Ive opened the door, built a complete floor and Firewall and removed the fenders.

IMG_2416_1024x682.jpg

IMG_2498_1024x682.jpg

IMG_2497_1024x682.jpg

thanks for looking.

Ian

Edited by Talbot90

Good luck with this one.....the AMT '33 Willys is without a doubt one of my favorite models and yet one of my most challenging. I've stated a bunch of them but always find some reason not to complete. I'll be watching this one. Might even get me to pull one out and try again.

Mike

Looks like a cool build.

Question is that some sort of scale the car is on in that pic?

Hi,

Yes, you're right. taken on the scales at Indy I believe. ( Still trying to confirm exactly where it was taken )

cheers

Ian

Nice!Nice!Nice! What I really like is the hood treatment, and you added stops in the door jambs... something sooooo overlooked!

How do you get your stacks so true? Are they mounted in holes made w/ a drill press?

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the comments.

The stacks are machined with a stepped extension I trimmed to length. They are then mounted into holes drill centered by eye. A dab of superglue and they're there to stay. :-)

cheers

Ian

Actually it was not totally unheard of a gasser to pull off the front end or the fenders to become an altered. Let's say you have an average gasser, and a heavy weight shows up at your track. Pull fenders and you're now an altered with what may be softer competition.

Mike

Hi DoubleD,

Yeah, I wasnt sure either what combo it was running without the Fenders.

Ive asked Wanda Blanchet from the Filthy Forty Tribute Team to find out what she can about the car. I can easily build a different engine combo.

cheers

Ian

Hi DoubleD

After your comment regarding the engine combo I thought Id do some research on the class letters on the car.

Google is supposed to be my friend but it sure took some finding!! :-)

According to Draghub.com.

"The designation F/C does not mean Funny Car, but “Fuel Coupe”, as in AA/FC, A/FC, BB/FC, TA/FC, or EA/FC. A – means it uses Nitro Methane as fuel, B – means it uses Methanol as fuel, single letter means the car is normally aspirated injected, double letter means the engine is supercharged (including turbocharging)"

So according to its A/FA lettering it should be a Fuel injected Nitro Altered.

Thanks for making me do the research, Im happier with the build direction n ow..

cheers

Ian

Edited by Talbot90

Hiya,

Thanks for the heads up on the rear wheels, DoubleD.

Ive ordered the Tommy Ivo Front Engined dragster as it has the same rear wheels I need. If they don't work out I'll check out Resin ones.

Dave Hales from the S&S Race Team has helped a bit with the front end, saying it was coil-overs with hairpins. Ive asked him to confirm wether it was blown or injected and or a magneto used.

Ive worked the hood sides to clear the Zoomies and coil-overs

IMG_2445_1024x682.jpg

Scratchbuilt the whole frontend.

IMG_2447_1024x682.jpg

and built the gas tank

IMG_2450_1024x682.jpg

slow progress, but we;re getting there.

cheers

Ian

Just a small update.

built a Magneto for the Hemi.

My first attempt at using alloy tubing, then I used CorelPaint to create and print my own decal. ( another first )

I'm quite chuffed really :unsure:

magneto.jpg

Edited by Talbot90

• 1 year later...

I must confess, I have been dabbling in the dark side..and doing some military modelling for a bit of a change.....

P1040038_1400x1050.jpg

P1040040_1400x1050.jpg

but I soon got bored with that and realised my true heart was in building cars....so..

Ive gotten back into the Dirty Thirty.

Here's the first mock up...

IMG_2274_1024x682.jpg

all the white pieces ( except the engine block and heads) have been scratch-built including the complete intake manifold with ( Detail master Trumpets)

IMG_2273_1024x682.jpg

IMG_2270_1024x682.jpg

I'm happy with the stance and the way things are fitting.

All the little jobs to do now before breakdown for paint.

thanks for looking

Ian

Sorry about the missing pics in the start of this thread..changed Photo Hoster. I will try and reinstate them

Edited by Talbot90