Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone built the Lindberg Stutz racer in 1/16?

Can you tell me about the kit?

Is the model as toy like as the Lindberg Model T?

I think it would be cool to build an early Indy 500 racer out of the kit, even though it would be super basic due to my lack of fabricating skills.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the kit!

Thank you, Skip.

I might pass then on the Stutz I am looking at. I am not much of a scratch builder...and comparing Harry's work to mine is like trying to compare Mount Everest to a hill in Indiana.

I am amazed at Harry's work, and a slew of other builders on this forum, who are building stunning replicas of real cars..,and I am still putzing along still trying to figure out how to get a box stock model together and not get glue on the windshield, lol.

Jeff, if I can give any advice about building models, it would be to stop comparing your work to others, especially someone as skilled as Harry. I don't know if you'll ever achieve that level of craftsmanship but I know I won't. I just try to learn from them and make as few mistakes as I can. What winds up on my bench as a finished model would be trash to some builders but I'm learning, having fun and can see that what I'm building now is light years from what I did as a kid. Remember, have fun!

PS I have the Lindburg 1:16 Stutz and Mercedes racers in my stash. I'm not much of a scratch builder myself but I do want to build both of them some day. They do look easy. How detailed they'll be is questionable.

• 2 weeks later...

hey Jeff- the lindberg has lots of potential and a good kit to get you started. I say go for it and try your hand at scratchbuilding just a few small details. the rest will come as you build it. a lot of it is in the paint job - it does not have to be perfect but detail painting the small hardware makes all the difference. and most important of course is to have fun with the project.

I believe the Stutz factory cars were white- do a little research on line and you will be able to see some details that you can add to your car GOOD LUCK

The kit is very basic and highly simplified. For example, the whole engine... block, heads, transmission, even the upper radiator hose, if I remember correctly, are just two left and right halves. And if I remember, the hood straps are molded onto the hood. Not exactly realistic.

The basics are there, and with some careful paint detailing, you can make a nice looking shelf model out of it. But if you are looking for anything more detailed, you'll have to add a lot of scratchbuilt details yourself.

So I guess bottom line is it's a nice enough kit to build as a basic shelf model, but it's also a good starting point for a more detailed model.

Thank you for the replies!!!

I am going to keep the Stutz model on my watch list. I think that I will buy one if I find one at a cheap price.

I am kind of kicking myself now...the kit I was looking at on ebay went cheap, and it would have been fun to have at least tried to build a pseudo early Indy 500 entrant out of it.

You can make a nice model out of a toylike kit. All you need to do is add some scratchbuilt details...

T8_zpsfce473d1.jpg

Thank you, Harry.

I actually bought the same kit, with hopes of following your build to make mine look a little more professional, like yours.

The kit has become the 'test kit' for paint and weathering techniques that my little one and I wanted to try. Some areas already have 6 coats of paint!!!!

I am going to keep the Stutz model on my watch list. I think that I will buy one if I find one at a cheap price.

It comes up on ebay all the time, usually pretty cheap.

In fact there's one there now with a BIN price of $14.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.Xlindberg+stutz+racer&_nkw=lindberg+stutz+racer&_sacat=0

In fact there are several. Harry found the best price, and it doesn't sell cheaper. Go for it. Never pay as much as $20 for it, and be sure to check shipping costs.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1%2F16&_sop=10&_armrs=1&_from=R10&_pcats=1188%2C220&_osacat=2580&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1%2F16+stutz&_nkw=1%2F16+stutz&_sacat=2580

When I started this thread, there was a kit that sold for $9 with free shipping, IIRC. That was the one I was looking at bidding on.

I am the weird modeler. I have sworn myself not to build any stash other than what I have going, but when I saw the Stutz so cheaply, I thought I could make an exception to my rule.

I will put the Stutz on my build wish list. I love the early Indy racers.