Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell AG VW Samba Bus

Had a look at the body panels next to my old Revell/Hasegawa release, and dimensionally, they look nearly identical. Wheelbases certainly match.

I was wondering if the doors were carrying a little too much material with the upper window frames, perhaps for the same reasoning they might have used in having a wee bit too much front fender underneath.

All told, I'm pretty stoked about the design of this kit. Been a while since we had this many opening panels, and if they all actually fit together, sweet. Just contemplating whether or not taping the panels together from the inside might be the best way to skin the painting cat...

All told, I'm pretty stoked about the design of this kit. Been a while since we had this many opening panels, and if they all actually fit together, sweet. Just contemplating whether or not taping the panels together from the inside might be the best way to skin the painting cat...

I'm thinking I'll spray the insides of the panels first (including the door jambs), then try taping the whole wicked mess together once that first inside coat cures. Unless I decide to use different colors on my Samba Bus build (I'm thinking of a Damncrankian- 'Built from spares' kind of vibe), it may still prove to be a bigger than necessary challenge!

Edited by Chuck Most

• 1 month later...

Did you guys notice that the new RoG Samba Bus is NOT a repop of the Hasegawa mold?

It is a brand new tool with an up to now unequalled level of detail.

This makes it the third Samba Bus incarnation by this company. The 1950s flat pack original, the Hasegawa in disguise, and now their own effort again.

There are photos of a test shot on their website:

http://www.revell.de/de/produkte/modellbau/service/info_channel/bildergalerien/samba_bus/?id=873

They say the kit contains both versions: The domestic one and the 'Export' with the US-spec bumpers.

There was a good discussion about this kit here when it first came out. Also that link had photos of all the parts and it does have both style bumpers. Everyone's input got me to grab the kit just for the detail parts to finish off my Hasegawa kit. It's worth a look if you're starting or considering this kit. It DOES have great detail.

And to maybe get me off my butt and FINISH my bus, here's a link to the WIP. :)

Edited by Foxer

There was a good discussion about this kit here when it first came out. Everyone's input got me to grab the kit just for the detail parts to finish off my Hasegawa kit. It's worth a look if you're starting or considering this kit. It DOES have great detail.

Sorry, I didn't know this kit has been dicussed already.