Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some Pontiacs

Chuck Most

Up until GM announced the death of Poncho, this was the only Pontiac model I had in my stash....

083_83-vi.jpg

It's the old AMT '65 2+2, that's been back from the dead more times that Freddy Krueger. I added the blown version of AMT's Parts Pack 421, some Hoppin' Hydros wheels and tires, a '57 'Vette grille, and shaved all the handles and trim.

Then, good ol' Generic Motors announced they were killing off Pontiac. I guess you could say that put a fire on under my arse, and motivated me to snatch up all the Pontiac kits I could get, including:

049_49-vi.jpg

'60 BONNIE by Trumpeter-

I replaced the junk Trumpeter engine with (wait for it....) yet another AMT PP 421. The scoop is to clear the dual quads. I also lowered it and shaved the handles. The radial whitewalls (both sets of 'em) included in the kit are incorrect for stock, but acceptable on a mild custom like this one. Not the greatest kit I've ever built, but not too bad, either!

050_50-vi.jpg

Next up- '65 GRAND PRIX by AMT-

I built this one - :o - totally box stock! I did give it a basic 'shave' job, but this was basically just a quick 'boredom killer' build'.

051_51-vi.jpg

'62 CATALINA by AMT/Ertl-

Mostly box stock this time- I did employ the wheels from a '66 Galaxie Resto Rods issue, and a '60 Olds grille from the AMT parts pack. I gave it a black primer spray job, and painted all the chrome silver. Why pay to have junky old GM chrome replated when you can just hose it off and silver and save yourself a couple grand? Besides, I think the flat silver with the black primer lends a meaner look to the car, anyway.

And finally....

055_55-vi.jpg

056_56-vi.jpg

This '65 2+2 by AMT-

Yes, look closely- it IS a 2+2, but it has the front bumper/grille and rear bumper/taillamp from the '65 GP. Not a simple drop on swap, some filing and trimming is required, but it is doable. Again, this one is pretty much OOB, except for the aforementioned GP nose and tail, as well as the '70 Pontiac wheels.

And it isn't going to end here! I've got an AMT '04 GTO, '65 GTO, and a few other Tin Injun kits in the stash, just waiting to be hacked and kitbashed!

Edited by Chuck Most

Nice group of Ponchos. I like the '62- it looks like something you wouldn't want to mess with at the stoplight. :lol:

With my luck, the only thing I'd 'mess with' at the stoplight on this car would be the Tri-Power setup to get the thing started again, because the thing would always stall at stoplights since I tuned the carbs myself instead of handing the job over to somebody who actually knows how to dial in a multi-carb setup! :lol:

Edited by Chuck Most

I like the '60. That's one kit we don't see built too much. I always thought the 1960s were nice-looking cars and I've seen a few customs based on AMT (or Modelhaus) kits, and they look nice with that.

I'd put the engine from the '62 Cat in it, I remember reading in more than a few places that the Trumpeter engine is a real lump.

Nice work on all of them.

Charlie Larkin