Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diamond Reo Flat/Stake Bed Almost Done

Got a little more done, over the weekend.....Since I knew the mirrors would be next to impossible to get together with the chrome plating, I went ahead and stripped all the chrome.....Just like I did on my previous Freightliners, I assembled them apart from the rest of the truck.....Making it much easier.....I also added a couple of flat strips to each one....Should make mounting them easier, as well....

Also making it a weed burner requiring me to rework the exhaust.....Turned out to be easier than I thought....A cut here and there....A little heat and then I had my pipe....

All that's left that I'd consider a task is that drive shaft and such....But anyway.....

SAM_66281024x698_zps61029496.jpg

SAM_66311024x625_zps6401ee22.jpg

SAM_66351024x541_zps2d1ac06a.jpg

SAM_66361024x518_zps84ba3137.jpg

SAM_66381024x562_zpsb370814d.jpg

Hey JT,

Just checking in on progress. Looking GOOD! Very organized display, neat how the family looks like their checking it out too. I'm amazed at how you can cut and work with sheet plastic so quickly. ME not so good...

The bed looks nice! I like the orange color on this truck as well!

Jeff

Thanks, Fellas.....You guys are too kind.....

JT looking good. Any more thought on the stake bed?

And, Yep....I'm gonna build a stake bed like my Pete 377 tire truck and make it removable, so I can display it both ways.....I'll show you what I mean, later.....Should be real soon, though....

Got little more done over the past couple of days.....It's a small update, but I made some tool boxes for the treatment.....Hopefully, I'll get to the stake bed portion of this build, tonight....Found the ribbed styrene I needed, so I should be able to.....

SAM_66411024x527_zps3495e814.jpg

SAM_66461024x535_zpsd2f6986c.jpg

SAM_66471024x547_zps61926e5a.jpg

SAM_66481024x767_zpsb21c2232.jpg

SAM_66501024x767_zpsba82a98e.jpg

Wish I had some touchup paint to clean up these fronts.....

SAM_66571024x754_zps2a435307.jpg

SAM_66521024x617_zpsc5ac11e4.jpg

Love these wobblers and tires in this kit.....

Edited by kilrathy10

It's looking like a truck, now, Boys......Had some old square headlights from an old Italeri Freightliner and decided to see what they would look like.....I like it.....It looks like I mounted the fenders a little off.....Didn't catch that at the start of this kit....I thought the grill would have corrected that, but I was wrong.....Oh well.....I have to live with that and move on....Almost done with it, though....

SAM_66601024x685_zps5f89fabd.jpg

SAM_66701024x677_zpse20521ab.jpg

SAM_66921024x509_zps735931e0.jpg

SAM_66961024x509_zps5a8c3e53.jpg

SAM_67011024x578_zps3dd0ddb1.jpg

SAM_67081024x768_zps0bd33e7b.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Looks really good JT!

Good call on the square headlights. You now have the final fling of Diamond Reo Giants during their brief time independent. Don't know if you make decals or not but there was a simple script word "Giant" around the side emblems on the hood, the square headlights, and that was about it until they went the way of the dodo bird.

Great job on the wheels, body and boxes too. Another great one to be proud of.

Just a thought...one of the big forklifts that transports along with the truck like Lowes and sod farms use or a big knuckleboom for hauling big tanks or beams perhaps? Not a clue where to begin to build either one so take it for what it is worth.

Again, great job!

Peace.

Edited by olsbooks

Thanks, Guys.....I'd been cruising along on this, pretty good, when I suddenly found that I can't open the hood to install the other components... :unsure: .....Couldn't believe I did that.....But, like I said, this is my FIRST Diamond Reo.....Guess I should have built one box stock, first.....I guess I figured I was too good to screw this up.....Well, I was obviously WRONG.......

I think I set the bumper a little too high is all, but I'm not sure if I'm going to correct it, right away or not....I think those parts will just become part of whatever load I decide to put on it....I don't even know where to connect the "Luberfinder", anyway... :D ....It won't start, but it looks good....LOL....Oh, well....Guess this one won't be at the contest in April..... :D

And, I'm still working out my load.....I believe I'm going to just have a bunch of stuff....Barrels, Pallets, Parts, like an old junk hood (Sean)..... Whatever I can find....Thanks for all the suggestions, though....Definitely, some good ones....

Edited by kilrathy10