Model Cars Magazine Forum

Attempting to reverse engineer an Aurora A/FX Porsche 917 Ho slot car body

philo426

Ii want to build a Porsche 917 ,but the few kits available seem to be very pricey.I decided to attempt to use an HO Aurora A/FX slot car body as a pattern to scale it up to 1/25.I know it will not be easy,,but I think i have a fair shot at it.I made the templates out of .80 styrene. 004_zps5fff28d4.jpg

Something to consider though: Aurora, just like most other HO slot car manufacturers, used a standard chassis underneath their cars, and designed body shells to fit that standardized chassis. As such, most body shells for this type/scale of slot car tended to be compromised at least somewhat to get a body that fit well, but still looked pretty much like the real thing.

You may want to search for more detailed dimensional information on the Web, if your goal is to make as accurate a 1/25 scale model.

Art

Something to consider though: Aurora, just like most other HO slot car manufacturers, used a standard chassis underneath their cars, and designed body shells to fit that standardized chassis. As such, most body shells for this type/scale of slot car tended to be compromised at least somewhat to get a body that fit well, but still looked pretty much like the real thing.

You may want to search for more detailed dimensional information on the Web, if your goal is to make as accurate a 1/25 scale model.

Art

Moreover, you could check the blueprint sites to get images of the three projections you need to create you templates after adjusting them to the dimensions of the real car. To better get my idea check the following link:

http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/cars/porsche/19573/view/porsche_917_10_can_am__1972_/

Scratch build always fascinated me. Be sure I will be watching you closely like big brother :)

Edited by khier