Model Cars Magazine Forum

LIONS DRAG STRIP "OPEN"

3men2s

I know rule 6 states "must be plastic or resin". I have started a what I feel is a rather unique build of the Pure Hell Bantam roadster,it will have Competition resins body Front wheels and tires and the gas tank. Engine will be sourced from another kit.The chassis is being made from scratch from brass rod.I am referencing the chassis of the Winged express of Wild Willy Borsch.Will you allow it here?I can provide pictures of progress as I have only formed the upper and lower frame rails and the rear roll bar support and roll bar hoop. No big deal if the answer is no. Just asking; thanks.

:mellow::angry: well after feather consideration with the board of directors for

this distinguish build off, we under the supervision of the body that governs

this hobby, we have all come to the conclusion that you sir may and for the name of God

do this asome project you are planning to do and we will like to include our gratitud

for participating in this holly crusade to keep old school drag racing alive in our harts and souls.

Amen

Thank you kind sir.I will do my best.Pics to follow of work so far.Long live the art of straightline racing.One more thing and this is solely my personal opinion if you can't feed it Nitro its a waste of time.But I love all straightline cars just prefer Nitro stuff. Ahhh the smell of nitro in the morning there is nothing like it in the world.

Edited by nitrojunkie

Thank you kind sir.I will do my best.Pics to follow of work so far.Long live the art of straightline racing.One more thing and this is solely my personal opinion if you can't feed it Nitro its a waste of time.But I love all straightline cars just prefer Nitro stuff. Ahhh the smell of nitro in the morning there is nothing like it in the world.

KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN MAN!!! CHECK THIS

Thanks 3men2s, I didn't know there was a part 2 to that movie.

You know it would be pretty easy for me to join this Lions build project as old school drag cars is the only thing I build. But being summer and all I don't get alot of building done. Plus I have some other projects to finish. I'll try to join in when I get one going from the beginning so I can throw on some WIP pics.

Thanks 3men2s, I didn't know there was a part 2 to that movie.

You know it would be pretty easy for me to join this Lions build project as old school drag cars is the only thing I build. But being summer and all I don't get alot of building done. Plus I have some other projects to finish. I'll try to join in when I get one going from the beginning so I can throw on some WIP pics.

you got till the end of the year man...enjoy your summer.

and now you can get a double sided disk with the two movies

real cheap, I GOT MINE FROM A clearence barrel at wallmart

a couple of years ago. once in a while I just have to watch it.

my wife don't gets it.....Lucas is a genious catching the spirit of the time.

Alfalfa (Harrison Ford) does a cameo in the movie,....funny.

JOHN MILNER RULES !!!!!!

Edited by 3men2s

This is my first post here, I thought this would be a good place to start. My build for the Lions Drag Strip "Open" will be something a little diffrent. I will be building a 1963 Dodge Wagon that ran in the B/Stock Automatic class. The car had a Stage 1 426 Max wedge. This car won the class at the 1966 U.S. Nationals running 12.59 at110.83 MPH. Below is the only photo of the car I have been able to track down but it was all I needed to get me inspired. I would be greatful if anyone out there has any more photos or information on this car. I am using a R&R resin 1963 Dodge wagon kit and a lindberg 64 dodge 330 super sport as the major doners. Parts box and scratch building should finnish it off. Decals will be printed on my PC.

buttonmotors63plymouth13.jpg

Drag Monster,

I was going through some old Super Stock and Drag Illustrated issues looking for some AWB Funny Car photos when I found these in the "Strictly Stocks" coverage of Super Stock Nationals in the November 1966 issue. The car looked familiar, and then I remembered your post. The photos are black-and-white, and only about 4 inches wide in the magazine, but they do show some of the front end and lettering detail that's not visible in your color photo.

The caption for the first photo: "The Warren Brothers' GTO won the class on Sunday, eliminated Tom Crutchfield during the "Mr. Stock Eliminator" runs."

Second caption: "Tom Crutchfield, from Kokomo, Indiana, drove this '63 Dodge wagon to three straight class wins in the B/SA class. Tom is the former national record holder in this class."

In Stock Class Results, the car is listed as B/SA winner on Friday, Aug. 5, (12.64/112.10), Saturday, Aug. 6 (14.71/71.09), and Sunday, August 7 (12.67/111.80).

I love those old Max Wedge wagons, and it looks like you picked a winner. Hope this helps!

Rick V.

SS-ButtonMotors-RightSmall.jpg

SS-ButtonMotors-LeftSmall.jpg

Edited by Rick Voegelin

3men2s...what a great idea! I grew up in Central California, when I was a kid we hung out at Kingdon Dragstrip and made it out to Fremont and Sacramento when they had the "Big Boys" in town. I'd like to join in the fun...couldn't find a photo of exactly what I'd like to build; but is this close enough?

CG20Falcon.jpg

rgwip12.jpg

rgwip13.jpg

Thanks...Pete :huh:

Edited by Flatout

HELLO, DRAG FANS...I AM READY TO START A NEW PROJECT SOON

AND DOING SOME RESERCH, I STARTED READING ABOUT

THIS FAMOUS TRACK AND STARTED TO FILLED NOSTALGIC.

FUNNY I WAS WATCHING THE MOVIE CARS FROM PIXAR

WITH MY 2 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER AND STARTED TO WONDER

HOW MUCH WE HAVE LOST TRYING TO GAIN...AND MONDAY

I HEARD ABOUT PONTIAC.

I GUESS I AM A CONSERVATIVE, WELL EVERY HOT RODDER IS.

THANK YOU!!!!

I CAME UP WITH AN IDEA THAT WILL KEEP US REMEMBERING

THE GOOD YEARS....A BUILDOFF REMEMBERING LIONS.

lions_drag_strip_18x12_small.jpg

THE TRACK OPENED IN 1955 AND CLOSED IN DECEMBER OF 1972.

LETS RE OPEN THE TRACK IN OUR HEADS.

BUILD A DRAG CAR.

RULES:

1. MUST BE A 1955 TO 1972 MODEL.

2. MUST BE A DRAG CAR.

3. MUST HAVE PHOTO OF THE 1:1 OF THE ERA.

4. ANY SCALE ACEPTED.

5. ENGINES,TIRES,PAINT SCHEME MUST BE OF THE SAME ERA( NO MODERN EQUIPMENT).

6. MUST BE PLASTICK OR RESIN.

7. PROGRESS POST FROM BOX TO FINISH A MUST.

8. STARTS TODAY AND ENDS IN DECEMBER 31 2009.

9. ALL CLASSES WELCOME.

10. WILL POST ALL ENTRES IN THIS FORUM FOR FINAL JUDGING FROM THE MEMBERS.

LET'S DRAG

lastday.jpg

THE LAST RACE 1972.

Here is my submission.

Nice Altered Noturn...looks to be very period correct. How 'bout a few more shots? ALoha...Pete :lol:

Thanks, I built it a couple years ago. I also built one for the original owner, Jack Ditmars. I saw this car run quite often when I lived in Illinois. I will try to post some other pictures if I can get the attachment routene sorted out. Steve Prideaux

Hey Noturn...thanks for postin the other pic, nice shot, looks like a lot of scatch builing. I'm a little surprized this thread isn't a little busier ;) , it started out like gangbusters. My build will be ficticious but period correct and reflect Southern California sponsorship. Here's a shot of some progress...

rgwip42.jpg

Aloha...Pete B)

Here is a pic of my progress so far on the Pure Hell project.It is going slow but I knew it would.I am also working on a Big John Mazmanian gasser for the build also. So I'm bouncing back and forth for a little relief. I hope to get the majority of the P/H uprights cut this week and the diagonal pieces.The soldering iron is not quite hot enough so time to break out the Oxy Acetylene rig for the soldering task. Yeah I have a very small orficed torch tip "made for body work".It is similar to a hobby type torch as far as flame size.Gotta figure out the soldering jig now.Anyway here are the pics of both projects.

th_100_0656.jpg

th_100_0650.jpg

th_100_0652.jpg

th_100_0653.jpg

I finally feel I hit a turning point as the body had caused me headaches. I used a new epoxy in the top chop and it was totally unsuitable for the job. Come to find out, it was intended for wood plane models and never fully hardened. As a result, it didn't take smoothing at the joint well. I ended up scraping it out and using regular putty. Must be 20 primer coats and reworks of the body! Finally today the seams all blended!

The Hippi Hemi frame, as recommended to me here, is working out great for this. The 283 motor from the AMT Competition kit with Povin blower is shoved forward about 6 scale inches in this mockup. The firewall still needs some trimming but it will probably stay about where it is. The thought of cutting the cowl back through the air vent is still in my head though ... the motor isn't high but would still need access if left in the Hippie Hemi motor position to keep from extending the drive shaft and for driver controls and position to remain the same.

This mock up was mostly to get the body position. It will tilt up at the rear and is following the lower frame rail in these photos which has a slight upward rake as it goes rearward from the engine.. I've seen some with a very exaggerated tilt up but gonna keep it slight as this is one long body behind the wheels!

The rear wheel arches worked really well. These are what made me do a competition coupe in the first place! I love the way these are just hacked into the body wherever the wheels "happen" to land and when the arch sticks above the window sills.. all the better! The inner wheel well backing was used more as a stiffener and shaper when forming the arches and I know are probably unrealistic, bu they stiffen the body greatly and I think they are staying. Besides, the guys at the body shop say they may keep the volumes of white smoke away from the driver as that front blower spins those "massive" 8" slicks!!! :lol:

The upper door lines are going to be re-scribed and welded. I have some Archer weld "decals" intended for armor that I want to try on this. They look like overly think blobs on paper but go on like decals and are just painted over.

60sCompetitionCoupe_DSC1803.jpg

60sCompetitionCoupe_DSC1805.jpg

60sCompetitionCoupe_DSC1798.jpg

Everyone's builds are looking great with a fantastic diversity!

Edited by Foxer

There are some nice, clean builds going on here. I have to agree, I'm surprised there isn't more builds being posted. Who wouldn't want to do an old school drag build. The cars in the 50's and 60's had soooo much more character in my opinion. I'll be throwing one on here myself real soon. Keep up the good job guys.

Guess I'll go at my Rat Packer . I painted it a while ago and filled in the gaps between the chassis and the body.

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

I'm in the process of filling in the gap between the interior bucket and the body.

IMG_3076.jpg

Also working at filling in the trim I broke while shaving off the windshield wipers. I didn't notice it when I painted it. This is not the ideal time to be doing it but i'll work around it.

And here is the engine. I'm using a W head 427 (Mystery Motor). Most people consider this to be a 65 Chevy II even though there has been a little debate over this. I guess some of the trim doesn't add up. So I'm calling it a 65 for now. The 396 first came out in that same year but was not reliable at first, not to mention there weren't any go fast parts. So alot of racers opted to use the good ole 427 that was successful in the FX classes of previous years. I painted my valve covers orange for that extra puch even though they should be silver. Maybe the guy wanted to fool a few people. :)

IMG_3081.jpg

Ah, Matt's Daddy has some cash I see.. got a "new" '65 Cheby he's cutting up! Or, judging by the trim, maybe it's just a recycled (is that a word... this is 1966 afterall!!) wreck from the yard.

:lol: looking good Matt.. :)

NIce to see some action here...

Foxer...I love your Comp Coupe, cool idea and very nice execution.

Nitro...Can't wait to see the Altered! Your Willys is looking very clean...looking forward to seeing all that candy apple red.

Noname...Nice Choice...haven't seen any other FXers so far. Definitely looks like a 65 Nova to these old eyes, nice choice on the W motor. I know what you mean 'bout gettin' those molded in wipers off, I did the samething on the Ranchero and it was a real pain.

Here's a couple of more pics of the Ranchero, interior, suspension, and finally a little pearl blue paint.

Thanks for lookin'...Pete

rgwip41.jpg

rgwip27.jpg

rgwip46.jpg

Edited by Flatout

Flatout I like the Ranchero great color combination I really like the interior clean and simple just like the office should be. I hope to get back on the altered this weekend.I have to machine the flat stock for the front uprights,and since I am going to be soldering with an oxy acetelene rig my soldering fixture will be fabbed from aluminum plate.The altered will take some time but will be pretty neat I think.

Edited by nitrojunkie

Here is the latest on the Willys.The body is ready for clear I'm going to mix and spray it as soon as I'm off of here.I should finish it up in a day or two.I have included a pic of the materials used for the body paint.Click on pics for better view and thanks for looking.The Kandy was mixed in SG-100 intercoat clear it is not in the picture just the Kandy Intensifier (concentrate).I mix it on the strong side it looked like blood in the airbrush.

th_100_0662.jpg

th_100_0659.jpg

th_100_0660.jpg

th_100_0664.jpg

Edited by nitrojunkie

Nitro...that Willys is lookin' great! Looks like it'll be done soon. Thanks for the comments on the Ranchero...they mean a lot coming from someone with your skills.

I'm trying a lot things for the 1st time on the Ranchero. Here's my 1st try at making decals and clearing over them...

rgwip48.jpg

rgwip50.jpg

rgwip53.jpg

Thanks for lookin'...Pete