Model Cars Magazine Forum

LIONS DRAG STRIP "OPEN"

3men2s

That looks super, ummmm ... 3men2s. An Under Glass would be cool for full disclosure.

P.S. how did you make it here so long without your real name in your posts?? :)

my name comes from a little legue basketball team when I was about 12

and the name of the team was "los tremendos" or the tremendous

and the name on our jerseys had the 3men2s

3 tres

men

2 dos..........3men2s....

and that is the story of my codename. :o

The Dragster shops are working overtime. The frame is almost ready for paint and the Vicky coup doors are being welded shut with Archer weld bead "decals". I can't wait to see how these look in paint!. Lots of detail painting in the works on all the parts. The carpet monster regurgitated the two parts that were missing! The headers are the biggest question now. I wanted to make some zoomies, but as time is running short I may just shorten and drill out the kit headers that are in the photo. The magneto is wired and ready and believe I have the method of fabrication for the rubber fuel line ends worked out using hex and round rod with brass metalizer paint. It's probably about time to glue some of the engine and blower together for some test fitting before the frame is set in weld metal and lacquer!

DragsterFrame_DSC3157.jpg

PushBar_DSC3164.jpg

I can hear the banging, and the radio blasting to Jymmy Hendrix

see ya at LIONS, My car is in the trailer and leaving west palm beach tonight.

andf making some stops along the way, at local tracks to do some exibition runs

for some cash for the trip. :)

How did you know my tuning secret?? .. if the engine doesn't vibrate with Jimmy set at 12, then it won't under 700 horsepower!! :o

Cool derivation on your name, but I was referring to the forum requirement to post your real name in your signature. :)

How did you know my tuning secret?? .. if the engine doesn't vibrate with Jimmy set at 12, then it won't under 700 horsepower!! ;)

Cool derivation on your name, but I was referring to the forum requirement to post your real name in your signature. :D

BRO :o I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT THAT....OK WILL FIX THAT.

Got the frame cut today. My friend’s suggestions worked great and are remarkably subtle. I removed the stock axle mounting brackets and installed new ones of styrene sheet. The axle location is now immediately below where it was before, about one axle housing width lower. I then cut about two razor saw thicknesses out of the top tube at the firewall junction and carefully bent the frame to rejoin them. Although you have to look hard to see any differences when comparing the two frames the chassis is now tucked up neatly inside the body with a nice amount of roll bar showing.

Here’s a comparison of the stock Ramchargers frame and the modified one. The red outline in the bottom image is the modified frame laid over the stock one:

Frame-Compare.jpg

Here’s a shot of the Tony Nancy kit body mounted on the modified frame with the CLF engine, rear tire and front end images pasted in with Photoshop:

Clarkson-Ledbetter-Friend-Ardun-Com.jpg

Now on to chassis assembly and bodywork.

Thanx for lookin’,

B.

Edited by gbk1

We have plastic! The build is gradually exiting the virtual world. I’ve got the chassis and backend painted and assembled and most of the interior bits installed. I found an old set of resin Ardun heads in my stash (from another supplier and rougher than RepMin stuff) and began building up a RepMin block. Glad I did because setting and installing the rear end correctly was impossible without it. The block took a fair amount of cutting and trimming to fit. I also discovered that I needed to construct a small fairing in front of the body shell to cover the firewall and footwell area. I did that in sheet aluminum. It’s smaller than the 1:1 and not quite so visible.

Next step is to fool around with the front suspension and continue work on the Ardun. I also need to shorten the rear axle some to get the rear wheels and slicks from the Tony Nancy kit to set in closer to the frame. Tons of scratch building and kitbashing on this build. The MPC Ramchargers FED kit might be slightly underscale. Everything from other 1/25 kits all seem to be just a tiny bit large…

Here are some pics. The first one is the now traditional Photoshop mockup, this time consisting only of a front wheel and roll hoop pasted in to the actual, real body, engine and chassis! So far the stance and overall look are holding up pretty well. The other two shots are just to prove I am truly entering the world of plastic once and for all…

Thanx for lookin’

B.

Chassis-and-Ardun-1.jpg

DSCF7568-web.jpg

DSCF7571-web.jpg

Thanx guys. B)

.. is the body painted already?

No, that's the kit plastic in the Revell Tony Nancy double dragster kit. It's supposed to represent the body color of the Dragster in the set. It's totally unacceptable with all kinds of funky swirl marks in it. I hope to get some paint on the body this week.

A small update while much detail painting is going on and the engine boys are in assembly mode...

The frame is also in white primer waiting for some Sunoco Yellow paint. :lol:

The doors were welded up with Archer Weld Bead decals. These are resin weld beads on decal paper and they apply just like decals. These are the 2nd smallest size ... about a 3/4" weld. I used some of the larder sized on the other door to see how they look and will probably leave them on for some variation. They were a little stiff at the rounded body molding under the windows but I knife cut and some setting solution will hopefully fix that. I'm pretty happy with the way these look under paint.

doorWelds_DSC3177.jpg

Edited by Foxer

A small update while much detail painting is going on and the engine boys are in assembly mode...

The frame is also in white primer waiting for some Sunoco Yellow paint. ;)

The doors were welded up with Archer Weld Bead decals. These are resin weld beads on decal paper and they apply just like decals. ... I'm pretty happy with the way these look under paint.

Nice work on the body. Glad to get some more specifics on the Archer decals from both you and Curt Raitz. They really add an extra dimension. In the case of the welds I can't imagine any other way to get it done.

I'm away from the workbench until the 14th so I'll have to hustle to make the deadline with my build. But it looks like there'll be at least one competition rail at the finish line for this one!

Edited by gbk1

Three weeks left .. this could be my FIRST completion this year! But, I always have fun, finish or not ... that's the objective! <_<

The frame is painted and I've been engine assembling and doing fuel wires ... that's what what all the tiny pieces are. All the fuel connections are cut from various rod. The body might get painted tomorrow, or the next day, depending how I feel. :rolleyes:

60Comp_wiring_DSC3316.jpg

NO BROTHER, YOU NEED TO FINISH, DON'T STOP.

DEAD LINE DECEMBER 31, MIDNIGHT...... :o

SO FAR THIS PROJECTS ARE DONE

70elcamino and his "Miss Deal" F/C

old hermit and his AA/FUEL DRAGSTER

Curt Raitz abd the famous "Little Red Wagon"

3men2s and his 72 Vega Funny CAR.

noname and his 66 FX Chevy.

WE NEED 3 MORE TO DO A LADDER

AND DO A ELIMINATION STYLE CONTEST.

FIRST 3 DAYS THE VOTES YOU GET ARE TO PUT YOU IN THE LADDER.

NEXT 3 DAYS 1 ROUND, NEXT 3 DAYS SEMI FINALS, THEN FOR A WEEK THE FINAL 2.

AND IT WILL BE CROWN THE LION'S CHAMPION.

Edited by 3men2s

Thanks, I built it a couple years ago. I also built one for the original owner, Jack Ditmars. I saw this car run quite often when I lived in Illinois. I will try to post some other pictures if I can get the attachment routene sorted out. Steve Prideaux

EXELENT MODEL MY MAN. CAN WE SEE MORE OF YOUR WORK.