Model Cars Magazine Forum

Would 1/20 Be Considered 'Big Scale' In This Forum?

'Big Scale' or not 'Big Scale', that's the question here.  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Consider 1/20 'Big Scale' ?

• Yes
    • No

What scales are we most likely to see on this board? 1/43, 1/32, 1/25, 1/24, 1/20, 1/16, 1/12, 1/8, and possibly 1/6 and 1/4 engines..? Does anybody build HO (1/87), or any near Hot Wheels scale (1/64, 1/72)? There may be a stray 1/35 piece that's car-like enough to end up on here from time to time...

I'd lean toward 1/20 being big scale, just because there are so many small-to-normal scales represented in the main forum, but the caption to the Big Boyz section does say, "Anything to do with big scale models: 1/8, 1/12, or 1/16".

What scales are we most likely to see on this board? 1/43, 1/32, 1/25, 1/24, 1/20, 1/16, 1/12, 1/8, and possibly 1/6 and 1/4 engines..? Does anybody build HO (1/87), or any near Hot Wheels scale (1/64, 1/72)? There may be a stray 1/35 piece that's car-like enough to end up on here from time to time...

I'd lean toward 1/20 being big scale, just because there are so many small-to-normal scales represented in the main forum, but the caption to the Big Boyz section does say, "Anything to do with big scale models: 1/8, 1/12, or 1/16".

That's exactly why I asked. They forgot all the odd 'in-between' scales, like 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/9, 1/10, 1/14, 1/15, etc., despite I'm sure they would be appropriate and welcomed here. Hence my question, whether 1/20 would still be considered 'big scale', or 1/16 is the threshold. If yes, this would mean 1/18 is also considered 'main scale', which imho it definitely isn't.

Just my opinion... but I think most people who hang out here consider 1/24 or 1/25 to be "normal" and do most, if not all, of their building in those scales... so anything bigger would go in the Big Boyz section. Again, just my opinion. There's no hard and fast rule.