Model Cars Magazine Forum

Daytona Charger pro mod

Geezerman

:o Geeze, THIS car is to me, a PERFECT example of how a BEAUTIFUL model can be built WITHOUT goin over the top! No fancy paint, just a smooth clean one. Not alot of OVER detailing, just enough eye candy to keep it interesting. The interior is WELL done, for as basic (on offense meant) as it is, it's got alot goin on. The whole thing LOOKS like it was fun to build, and it came out GREAT! Your pretty up on what's happnin, fer an ol' fart Geeze!!!Again, GREAT JOB!!! B)

Awesome! We had a Daytona-bodied Pro Mod/Top Doorslammer car here in Australia about 10 years ago. It was driven by a fellow named Peter Gratz and at one stage was the quickest Doorslammer in the country and held the world record MPH. The body was eventually outlawed due to the long frontal overhang that apparently tripped the finish line beams ahead of the front wheels as the rear tyres grew in height through the top end.

dddgratzlx5.jpg

Edited by Eeyore

Awesome! We had a Daytona-bodied Pro Mod/Top Doorslammer car here in Australia about 10 years ago. It was driven by a fellow named Peter Gratz and at one stage was the quickest Doorslammer in the country and held the world record MPH. The body was eventually outlawed due to the long frontal overhang that apparently tripped the finish line beams ahead of the front wheels as the rear tyres grew in height through the top end.

dddgratz.jpg

Thanks, Kurt.

Peter gratz ????

Mlast name is Gratz.

I just re-hosted the picture for people to see. Unfortunately I can't find any more at the moment but I'm sure I'd have some in an old magazine somewhere. Yes his last name was Gratz and he was one of the big players in the early Top Doorslammer days after the category (that grew from the Wild Bunch group of blown sedan racers from the late 80's early 90's) went "professional" Group 1 in about 1996. He originally raced a 57' Chev but destroyed it a couple of times and then brought out the Daytona with it's advanced (and controversial) rear wing design to take on the big guns. Unfortunately I think money was a big issue for Peter and he simply couldn’t continue any longer as the category expanded to the big dollar operation it is today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Great looking build Clay. B)

Hey, and don't sweat it about the details, super detailing is way over rated, coming from a detail nut, I know. :) ;)

Is that a resin body, or one you made from a kit. ?

(I'd say you hit the flavour nail right on the head too. ;) )