Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dental picks?

i've had just the opposite results, but maybe didn't get the right set o' picks.

best i've used is the back edge of a #11 xacto blade for straight, and for curves the round / double ended tool shown here. the ends can be replaced as well as sharpened to different profiles. use dymo-label tape for curved plane surfaces.

If I'm just cutting sheet styrene, I use an Xacto knife. For scribing and cutting out doors and trunks, I use these...

009_zps3dykx55o.jpg

The dental pick has become my favorite tool to scribe with. I modified the tip of it like so...

006_zpswhhikthr.jpg

It actually cuts a finer line than anything else I have. I was concerned that the tip would break off easily. But, over a year later, it's still just like it was when I modified it. It cuts whether I push or pull it and follows the panel lines perfectly. It won't jump out of the line or wander like an Xacto blade will.

I have acquired dental pick from salvage/discarded hardware businesses (locally: Apache Reclamation) but you can also get dental picks from electronics tool suppliers like Tech-Tool, Newark, Digikey and Mouser. THey are commonly listed in the soldering tools sections.

The last time I was at my Dentist's office for an adjustment on my new dentures, I asked the Dentist if he had any old, discarded dental picks that he could part with.... I explained what I would be using them for... He very nicely gave me a bunch of cleaned, sanitized, packaged picks... I've got plenty now that I can use.