Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Merc extreme custom

Trans Am Erik

Can you share your secret, Eric? It appears that you glue the lenses in. Will you then putty them in and sand? Won't you mess up the lenses? I like the lenses that look like they're part of the body (no bezels) but I have no idea how to do it.

The lenses are not glued in yet. I get the shape of the sockets about right with putty. When the putty is about half dry I push the tail lights into place and take them back out. When the putty is dry I sand the fenders, put the tail lights back in, still with no glue, and check my fit. Pull the lights out and repeat til I'm happy with the fit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Erik, you've really done a great job so far integrating the two bodies. I really love the flow of the roof and I like what your doing with those corner tail lights. The only thing that kinda bothers my eyes is how nice and round the front fenders, roof, and trunk are but the rear fenders have that sharp edge to it. I know the tail lights have a sharp edge to them but if you were to round them off and the fender edges, to me it would personally make it all flow a little better. Just a suggestion, I still think everything is looking great. Keep it up

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you look at the general shape of the hood and tops of the fenders, they are very similar on both cars, I wonder how the headlights from the Fusion would look on the Merc. It would bring some of the sharp angles from the back and bring them to the front. I don't know if you've noticed it or not, but the front is all rounded shapes while the back has crisp lines and angles, the headlights might balance it out a little. On the other hand it might be too much and you could lose all resemblance of the Merc.

Edited by Psychographic

Hi guys, I will be starting on the frame soon and it will be modern. I'm using the CheZoom frame, the problem is I need to find a much more detailed Corvette suspension to use. The IFS and the four link provided are awful.

Billy and Todd: The drivetrain will be modern. I have a Cobra engine and a Lightning engine in the parts bin. However, one idea was to take one of them and stretch it into a Triton V-10, and keep the supercharger.

David: I am going to keep the round headlights to keep the identity of the Merc. I see the problem of the round/sharp thing. The grille will have sharp edges, plus I was thinking of modifying the hood, and maybe the front valance somehow. I would like to take the "whale" look the nose has and make it more muscular and angry.

I think that helped the lines a lot, The only thing I'd suggest is maybe rounding peak above the headlights just a little bit like the picture of the black merc you posted so it follows the curve of the hood a little better. Either way I like where this is going and I can't wait to see the end result!