Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dukes of Hazzard Roscoe's Police Car

buba39

75plymouthgrill-vi.jpg

Look what I just found.

Terry I already did the conversion for Missing Link and it will be out soon,So save those valuable parts,It will be the body with the 75 hader panel and the grill headlights and correct front bumper,So I saved everyone some work!

Funny story about this. At one point, I decided that I didn't need this nearly ONE-OF-A-KIND CONVERSION (!!!!!!!!) so I sold it on eBay. At the time, the Dukes kit was out of production and I got this nasty note from some kit collector who told me I had no business cutting up such a valuable vintage kit, and what did I think I was doing, anyway?

In relative terms, if this Plymouth conversion is still out there I'd bet it's worth a lot more than the Dukes kit these days.

Terry

Valuable Vintage kit? The kit was, what, only out of production for seven or eight years when you wrote that article... IF that, even! Yeah- now those Joker Goon Cars sell for a fair price!

And what right does a kit collector have telling a builder what to do? That guy is REALLY going to hate my completed Jo-Han models! :lol:

Is that molded as one piece (with grill and headlights molded in) or is it the body with separate grill and headlights?

T

They will all be seperate parts,the headlights,Grill And the front bumper,Plus they will already be plated! :)

• 1 month later...

DSC02797.jpg

Jamie, what is the black General Lee supposed to be? If I remember correctly, the General was black in the "Birth of the General Lee" episode, but that was before the General was the General, and was just a plain black Charger with no flag.

• 3 years later...

Actually, didn't the Original issue of Roscoe's car come only with Red lightbar lenses??

The box art definitely shows only red.

They were ALWAYS red & Blue on the TV series!!!!

Also, Both Roscoe box-art show the Proto-type 4dr sedan still having the

2dr's tail lights ans rear bumper!!

I have one question about this kit-- where are the rear bumper guards that make this car look right? Would it have been to hard for the to tool up 2 seperate parts? and as far as the taillights they are for the 77-78 Fury ,NOT the Monaco as they had ribs running through them like this!

These?

They dropped the ball on the rear bumper big time.

LRear_zpsa13ba801.jpgHolyCapcompare2_zps8c2b7cf3.jpg

Edited by Ayatollah

Two of the biggest beefs I've held with this kit , in all of its incarnations :

- Those stupid deep wheels and too-wide tyres

- The manual transmission (no big block / manual trans vehicles from Chrysler were produced after the 1974 model year !)

The tyre / wheel (and bland , incorrect hub caps !) issue is easily overcome . Back in the 80's , I'd used the plain wheels and ancient Good Year tyres from the AMT Chevy Van-come-GMC A-TEAM model .

For that totally incorrect 4-speed manual , I'd cut a piece of sheet styrene in the shape of a 727 TorqueFlite pan , add a couple of strips of sprue to the trans case , glue the hand-rolled pan to the strips , then fill-in the voids with slower-set epoxy .

I keep forgetting which year the Monaco / Fury twins had ambre turn signal lenses ; 1977 or 1978 ?

I have this kit looked it over a few times, I have to agree on the wheels they just do not suit this model, I will be replacing these with something more suitable.

One thing Id like to know is how the chassis is secured when you assemble the kit.?, I have looked over it and the chassis is too narrow and doesn't seem to have any definite location points at all, was this kit always like this ?. It looks like it originally had two screw posts in front of the rear bumper but these are no longer moulded into the body.

One thing Id like to know is how the chassis is secured when you assemble the kit.?, I have looked over it and the chassis is too narrow and doesn't seem to have any definite location points at all, was this kit always like this ?. It looks like it originally had two screw posts in front of the rear bumper but these are no longer moulded into the body.

You can see the marks from the screw holes, the whole thing started life as a two door promo.

If you really want to build the kit itself, throw everything away except the glass, body and dash. Use resin, Revell and AMT and

scratchbuilding.