Model Cars Magazine Forum

2014 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

Some really great work going on here. Tommy, that Impala's looking really nice, as is your builds Ashley. Yeah the plastic around the doors are always thickest I think it took me like 3 hours to get just the doors cut out on my GTX last year. Looks like you're doing pretty good with yours.

Keep it up everyone I'll be joining in shortly too, just trying to clean off the apocalyptic nightmare that is my desk. I think I heard something growl over there. :unsure:

Okay, I'm within a few days of finishing the V28 (which would have been a great Cannonballer if I'd thought about it) so I have decided to start and finish what will likely be my last Cannonball racer, for a good long while. After that I've gotta get some of the WIP's that I have, finished.

So Nick, go ahead and change my entry to a Monogram 1969 GTO. The 'Cuda will have to wait until I have a better printer for decals.

Here's my un-started kits.

2014-05-15%2017.26.55_zpsugmxam0u.jpg

2014-05-15%2017.46.54_zpse88ilagm.jpg

Well after a brave battle I've given up cleaning my workspace for now. Instead, if it's okay I would like to add a car to my line up. Some of you may remember that during the build of my '67 GTX last I ended up breaking the front windshield posts in a attempt to lower the roof line. I bought a backup model on Evilbay just in case I couldn't fix it. I didn't have to use it and it's just been sitting here so I thought it might to fun to build it up and add it to this years long rooster of cars.

Nothing has been done to the kit be me aside from a quick mock up last year, the previous owner or someone prior has everything sprayed gross black, one coat no primer. So I've been stripping the parts these past few days trying to get everything back to square one. Plans for it aren't as grand as last year, going to sand down the roof trim and badges again so it'll have a smooth body. I'm "not" lowering the roof this time (learned my lesson last year lol) it wasn't hard to fix, it was just stressful. Colors for this one will be Charcoal Grey metallic with a matte black hood.

Last years mock up.

1004634_300825393396663_1193184990_n.jpg

Body and engine before bath, still soaking right now.

Post11_zpsddbacc87.jpg

Post14_zps665ffc68.jpg

I'll be starting the Dart and Formula sometime next week.

Edited by TFchronos

Drivers door is now cut out and has had some putty slung onto the marks from the blade and sanded smooth, need to get some styrene to begin making the door jams,going to see if my buddy has a dremel I can use to cut the door panels out of the interior tub. Will post pics up in the morning.

Here's an update on the 67' GTX, modified the original scoop to look more like the '68 Dart's. Painted the body Rust-o-leum Charcoal Metallic, polished to much on the trunk lid so I'll be re-spraying that.

Post51_zps2806c6b5.jpg

And here's a little mock up, there was more white than chrome on the rims and bumpers and what has left literally flaked off. I've seen a few '69 Super Bee's with black bumpers, I'm not sure if they came from the factory like that but thought it looked really cool so I thought I would try it on this and think it turned out pretty good. The rims where all matte black at first but I decided to put some Tamiya Gunmetal around the outer ring so they wouldn't just blend into the tires.

Post54_zpsc8e082b3.jpg

Post53_zps4de93d9e.jpg

Here's an update on the 67' GTX, modified the original scoop to look more like the '68 Dart's. Painted the body Rust-o-leum Charcoal Metallic, polished to much on the trunk lid so I'll be re-spraying that.

Post51_zps2806c6b5.jpg

And here's a little mock up, there was more white than chrome on the rims and bumpers and what has left literally flaked off. I've seen a few '69 Super Bee's with black bumpers, I'm not sure if they came from the factory like that but thought it looked really cool so I thought I would try it on this and think it turned out pretty good. The rims where all matte black at first but I decided to put some Tamiya Gunmetal around the outer ring so they wouldn't just blend into the tires.

Post54_zpsc8e082b3.jpg

Post53_zps4de93d9e.jpg

Very cool , I really like that look and the way it sets.

It has been a loooong time since I've made any progress with my Dodge Charger Daytona. Anyway to keep up with you guys who make real nice progress I got back building the engine. And because I don't want to be the last guy crossing the finishing line, I thought that the Hemi will need a Power Adder. :lol: Luckily AMT included a Blower in the kit. I just removed the chrome plating and painted it to give it a more realistic look. This is where I am at with the engine right now. I should have the body in Primer really soon, too...

DSCN5351.jpg

DSCN5350.jpg

DSCN5349.jpg